Around the NHL 2023 Summer Edition

Brawndo

Stutzle has a chance to be the best player between both organizations. Dude scares me. But I also prefer Buffalo's total package and love the way their young talent is distributed through the positions, it's honestly close to ideal. 2 great centers, 2 great d men, a goalie, and some nice young wingers with high skill

Edited by Randall Flagg

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Stutzle has a chance to be the best player between both organizations. Dude scares me. But I also prefer Buffalo's total package and love the way their young talent is distributed through the positions, it's honestly close to ideal. 2 great centers, 2 great d men, a goalie, and some nice young wingers with high skill

I'd take Dahlin, but Stutzle is pretty clear #2 for me as of this moment

And I'd take Tkachuk over Tuch and I'm a huge fan of Alex.

But the gap between Tage and Stutzle is lot smaller than the gap between Dahlin and Chabot.

Power over Sanderson, but that one will have to play out over time

Cozens over Norris easily

Mitts looked like he hit Batherson's level last year, but will have to repeat this year

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, sweetlou said:

I'm still under the assumption that Dahlin will get $10-10.5 at eight years.

KA is trying to have Power sign a 3 year bridge around $6 million just like Dahlin did.  If he can produce the numbers over the next 4 years beside Dahlin, the the Sabres will give him the same 8 year $10.5 million as Dahlin.  This won't hurt as much because the cap would have gone up and the Skinner contract is off the books.  This also take Power into his early 30's before he is an UFA instead of 28 years old.

I can’t see how Power can get the same $ as Dahlin. Maybe due to the cap increases?

I like the fact the Sabres have two #1 Dmen but one of them will always be ahead of the other.

Dahlin will run PP1 and due to his age and experience, will put up better numbers than Power. If Dahlin is putting up 80 points while Power gets 60, I can’t see OP getting $10.5. Other metrics may help him get there and the cap increases may make $10.5 easier to get to but he will be 2nd fiddle to Dahlin.

I love Power and think he will be great. I just fail to see him being better than Dahlin in the near future.

43 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I'd take Dahlin, but Stutzle is pretty clear #2 for me as of this moment

And I'd take Tkachuk over Tuch and I'm a huge fan of Alex.

But the gap between Tage and Stutzle is lot smaller than the gap between Dahlin and Chabot.

Power over Sanderson, but that one will have to play out over time

Cozens over Norris easily

Mitts looked like he hit Batherson's level last year, but will have to repeat this year

I agree with all of this.

I love Tuch but the Sabres could use Tkachuk more.

Dahlin towers over Chabot and that is the largest gap between the two teams.

Buffalo, Ottawa and New Jersey should be battling for the Eastern Conference title for many years.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Here is a Power Comparison 

If you can get Power to sign for this now you do it. 

I suspect however that he will bet on himself (being better than Sanderson) and will either not sign a long term deal now or will want more now. 

The reality of the prospect pool is that yes, it's rich looking, but ultimately the window closes fast and we will not be able to pay them all so if you want to win now the GM should be looking at trading a few to balance the roster. imo

41 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

So we are at least still sniffing the goalie market enough to be mentioned in a remark like that?

Always have been, WPG is likely going to end up folding at the deadline or letting him walk at this rate. Plus I frankly have zero interest in signing him at 8x9mil

• Like (+1) 2

Buffalo’s interest in Hellebuyck would be as a rental.Meaning they would want to pay rental prices. I’m sure Winnipeg wants a top goalie in the league like return and that is where the divide is.

Winnipeg can give him the type of contract he wants but he doesn’t want to play in Canada. Puts the Jets in a tough spot especially when he has made his next contract demands known and they are too steep for most.

12 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

FB_IMG_1689720327851.thumb.jpg.1e97f3d496064e1a6ef79c21df90cfe7.jpg

"Randall, I'm not upset with you I'm just... disappointed."

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Buffalo’s interest in Hellebuyck would be as a rental.Meaning they would want to pay rental prices.

Can't see us looking for any kind of rentals. We haven't done that, and it just doesn't fit the plan they have outlined. I would think if they talked at all it was trade and sign. 

However, I would also say 

3 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

So we are at least still sniffing the goalie market enough to be mentioned in a remark like that?

just because Michael Russo said that does not mean Sabres called the Jets or pursued that option. Could just as easily be Winnipeg called up KA, asked him if he was interested, he asked the price, and then they listened while he laughed hysterically and then said good luck with that. 

Levi is the plan and the expectation. 

• Like (+1) 1

"In addition to Hart, several other players on the 2018 Hockey Canada World Junior team have also gone dark on their Instagram accounts. Twitter users noticed that Brett Howden of the Vegas Golden Knights, Dillon Dube of the Calgary Flames, Jonah Gadjovich of the San Jose Sharks have also done the same, although some have claimed that Dube and Gadjovich were private already."

pulled from another site, possibly related to the 2018 junior team issue. Something could be brewing. 

21 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

"In addition to Hart, several other players on the 2018 Hockey Canada World Junior team have also gone dark on their Instagram accounts. Twitter users noticed that Brett Howden of the Vegas Golden Knights, Dillon Dube of the Calgary Flames, Jonah Gadjovich of the San Jose Sharks have also done the same, although some have claimed that Dube and Gadjovich were private already."

pulled from another site, possibly related to the 2018 junior team issue. Something could be brewing. 

I wish there were an emoji for something like "very interesting" or "fascinating."

• Agree 1

On 9/6/2023 at 7:36 PM, LGR4GM said:

How can Power ask for 9 when he's basically Sanderson at this point? 

Also pay the consequences? You're talking about a GM that pays Tage and Cozens 14 million a year,  combined. 

Exactly my point; Adams saved money on Tage and Cozens by nabbing them before they had put 2 consecutive seasons together. Good for him. He'll have no such luck with Dahlin. And Power could be bridged, but the longer you delay the more you pay. The team will be a cap ceiling team next year. Every $500k is going to be important for the middle/bottom of the roster moving forward.

Power's agent wouldn't be worth his salt if he let a like player (with 40 more PPM) sign for more than his #1 pick. Plus, Power is taller.

The team friendly deals are done.  Power and Dahlin are 1 overall picks.  Dahlin is going to command 1OAL money, and Power’s agent is unlikely to settle for a long term deal that doesn’t recognize his future expectation to be a no BS 1D with all star expectations, regardless if the Sabres already have a 1D with all star expectations.  Power is either going to get paid big, early, or he will opt for a bridge to a big deal later.

• Agree 3

On 9/6/2023 at 10:36 PM, LGR4GM said:

How can Power ask for 9 when he's basically Sanderson at this point? 

Also pay the consequences? You're talking about a GM that pays Tage and Cozens 14 million a year,  combined. 

I would at this point bridge Power rather than pay him over $9m at this point.

But he can justify a bit more. He's not Sanderson, he is slightly better in a few ways:

-Sanderson 5th overall pick, Power 1st overall pick. Slight advantage Power

-Sanderson started his NHL career at age 20, Power was good enough to start at 18. Slight advantage Power

-First full season for each last year, Sanderson 4g, 28a, -6.  Power 4g, 31a +10. Slight advantage Power.

-First full season, Power given/trusted with about 2 more minutes of Ice time per game. Advantage Power.

Maybe those things will or won't matter long term for who is better, but the metrics are what we have now, and all of them are slightly in Favor of Power and his agent will be using them all.  If I was Power/his agent, I know I would think based on the above I deserve about 10% more than Sanderson.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I would at this point bridge Power rather than pay him over $9m at this point.

But he can justify a bit more. He's not Sanderson, he is slightly better in a few ways:

-Sanderson 5th overall pick, Power 1st overall pick. Slight advantage Power

-Sanderson started his NHL career at age 20, Power was good enough to start at 18. Slight advantage Power

-First full season for each last year, Sanderson 4g, 28a, -6.  Power 4g, 31a +10. Slight advantage Power.

-First full season, Power given/trusted with about 2 more minutes of Ice time per game. Advantage Power.

Maybe those things will or won't matter long term for who is better, but the metrics are what we have now, and all of them are slightly in Favor of Power and his agent will be using them all.  If I was Power/his agent, I know I would think based on the above I deserve about 10% more than Sanderson.

This isn't even factually accurate. 

Power isn't getting over 9 million. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

This isn't even factually accurate. 

Power isn't getting over 9 million. 

What are you talking about.  I was replying to your post saying how can Power ask for $9m?  Did you even read your own post I was replying too? Of course it is not factually accurate. You asked how he could ask for $9m, and I was giving the case as to how he could ask for more than Sanderson. 

Follow the chain of the conversation for context people, especially when it is reply to your own post.

Edited by mjd1001