Around the NHL 2023 Summer Edition

Brawndo

7 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

These two statements are so far from the truth.  Twenty and thirty years ago there were gay people and as long as they understood they were the ones that were different, people accepted them even if they didn't agree, and left them alone.  It's within the last ten years where everyone is trying to be politically correct and inclusive of everyone that it has gotten out of hand.  Don't try and force things that are morally wrong on me or my kids.  What if the mindset was we are to accept alcoholics for who they are and just let them do what they want, let them teach our kids in school that it is ok to drink and beat up people, drive and kill others, would your perspective be different?

Society understood alcoholism is mental disorder and alcoholics needed help. There are also laws to protect others from those people. 

People who believe that they are to be something different than what God created them have mental issues.  So I will always stand firm, there are two genders, male and female!!

So, on to a less confrontational topic?  Who is the big acquisition the Sabres make this off-season?

Smooth segue.

16 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

These two statements are so far from the truth.  Twenty and thirty years ago there were gay people and as long as they understood they were the ones that were different, people accepted them even if they didn't agree, and left them alone.  It's within the last ten years where everyone is trying to be politically correct and inclusive of everyone that it has gotten out of hand.  Don't try and force things that are morally wrong on me or my kids.  What if the mindset was we are to accept alcoholics for who they are and just let them do what they want, let them teach our kids in school that it is ok to drink and beat up people, drive and kill others, would your perspective be different?

Society understood alcoholism is mental disorder and alcoholics needed help. There are also laws to protect others from those people. 

People who believe that they are to be something different than what God created them have mental issues.  So I will always stand firm, there are two genders, male and female!!

So, on to a less confrontational topic?  Who is the big acquisition the Sabres make this off-season?

I don't believe in your god, she seems kinda s#!+ty

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

Smooth segue.

Like 20 grit sandpaper to your nuts

• Haha (+1) 2

But in all seriousness, we should get back on topic. This week will be interesting because a bunch of teams will want to cut cap before July 1 and before the draft is a great time to do it. 

Boston, Calgary,  and Montreal should be interesting to watch. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, pastajoe said:

Nobody is grooming kids to be gay, especially at a hockey game. 🙄  They’re either gay or they’re not. The issue is do we support them to feel safe and accepted.

Of course we support them. For myself in any event, my wife owns one of the larger daycare centers in the area. She's seen it all, parents that are unsoppurtive as well as employees who were terminated for quietly, without parents knowledge, pushing their lifestyle unto children, some as young as 4 to 6 yrs old in some cases. If you don't believe individuals are doing so or attempting to do so (shrugs), ok. In any event, it gets off topic for the thread, but yes, I personally believe the NHL is fine holding these events, I see nothing wrong with it in the larger picture of society.

15 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I've seen that view a lot, including here - "psh, these greedy corporations are just doing this for the money, they don't care about LGBT/whatever cause"

It's not really true though, the people and organizations in charge of setting up pride night are emphatic believers in the cause, this holds all the way up the chain

Ten years ago I remember the boomers in my life laughing off the college-aged "advocate" - wait until they hit the real world, they said. They'll grow up, mellow out, stop fiercly believing in [whatever]. The same boomers now are cynical that "corporations" and "the rich" are into "pride night" for anything other than cash or avoiding attaq. Newsflash, pal! Those "advocates " DID graduate and assume their roles in society, sometimes important ones, including running big corporations 

What was the view of only the 'enlightened' in society 15 years ago has trickled to the rest of it now, it is the default 

People want to grumble about corporations and watch Jon Stewart pick on W, but the world is different now, attempting to project mental models built in that era to explain things that happen today doesn't work, which is why everyone that talks about the issues is such a midwit

Boomers, advocates (?), corporations, “enlightened in society”?   I truly do not understand what your message is here and if I did I would probably laugh about it rather than argue with it.  

I prefer we stick to hockey unless a thread is designated as an off topic thread.  In that case I can avoid it if I wish.  

7 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Boomers, advocates (?), corporations, “enlightened in society”?   I truly do not understand what your message is here and if I did I would probably laugh about it rather than argue with it.  

I prefer we stick to hockey unless a thread is designated as an off topic thread.  In that case I can avoid it if I wish.  

Smart idea; I will start it and hopefully one of the mods can move posts.

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, sweetlou said:

Yeah I disagree if a guy wants to be a girl and Believes he/she  is trapped in the wrong body i don't see anything wrong with It.

15 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

What is the cost for one year? I know that a RD is paramount to the overall success of the team, but I would love to create a stronger second line, and move JJP to the third line. 

Why would you move the guy that Is going to have a breakout year .

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

That's a significant trade!  (Johansen for Galyenchuk)

Johansen will help the Avs. He is past his best before date but is still a 2/3C.

Nashville is definitely retooling, retained half of his $8M salary for two more years. They may move more out. They are hosting the draft and under new management, could be active.