Around the NHL 2023 Summer Edition

Brawndo

5 hours ago, MattPie said:

Did the podcast bring up taxes? It seems like those are two different things, maybe even in opposition in some cases. A place where the player wants to play isn't directly related net take-home pay. Sure, for some players that will be a big part of the calculus. But the Sabres have two players (so far 🤞) that have taken less money in a high-tax state to play. For normal people state taxes may be a sticking point, but when you're in the 1% of earners it becomes less of an issue for a lot of people.

Taxes was just one part of it, but it was a part of it. 

5 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Wasn’t there an article or a study or some thing done not that long ago that broke down every state and how much of your own money you actually keep? And it looked at all the different state, local and federal taxes and various costs of things like homes etc.? I can’t seem to find the study/article right now. But it was enlightening.

I do remember this article vaguely. If it's the same one I think it focused on Florida specifically and the contracts some of Tampa's big names took to keep playing there.

I think there's merit to it. 

One side note that might benefit the Sabres. Usually free agents getting a little older want term above all else and that might not fit in with Sabres plans to develop their own over time but this year they figure some might prefer 2 year deals so that they can hit free agency again when the cap shoots up (or so they predict). might be an opportunity to overpay a few guys to fill those holes and then not have to worry about blocking prospects down the road. Just a thought. 

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Do we think he's capable of turning it around at a reasonable price?  

On paper I can see why somebody would look at him on paper and go “Teppo? Jeep?”

You wouldn’t feel the same way if you watched him.

Dude looks shot and has for some time. That’s for 2 teams and multiple coaches.

(There, by the grace of god, goes Jeff Skinner. Did we ever dodge a bullet there)

Edited by dudacek

13 hours ago, rickshaw said:

What do we think about Barbeshev? He was awesome this playoffs. Big body, gets points. We be interested?

He's great, but his price will be at an all time over inflated high. 

5 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

No, I'd rather use Bryson than this guy 

That might be pushing it, but I don't want him either. 

On 6/16/2023 at 11:02 PM, rickshaw said:

What do we think about Barbeshev? He was awesome this playoffs. Big body, gets points. We be interested?

After watching Barbie since he arrived in Vegas. I’m hoping we don’t lose him. The guy was great!

11 hours ago, rickshaw said:

The Sabres should go nowhere near OEL. Major decline. He’s not what we need.

He’s in major decline. I wouldn’t take him at all. 

Hartford: Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont revealed earlier this week he's collected a group of investors to buy the team. Lamont said the XL Center — the former home to the NHL's Hartford Whalers before the team moved to Raleigh, North Carolina — will be refurbished to accommodate the Coyotes if they move.

If this happens we will need 2 more teams out west...

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I brought this up during the playoffs. If the cupboard only had UPL, I would endorse this. But I really think the Sabres believe in Levi as the long term answer and Swayman would be a blocker to Levi ascending into the role. 

I think a UFA for two years (a La Freddy Anderson) makes more sense. 

3 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I brought this up during the playoffs. If the cupboard only had UPL, I would endorse this. But I really think the Sabres believe in Levi as the long term answer and Swayman would be a blocker to Levi ascending into the role. 

I think a UFA for two years (a La Freddy Anderson) makes more sense. 

If they did make an offer to Swayman, pretty sure that if they gave him a 3 year deal it would walk him to UFA status (didn't look closely at his history, may be off by a year).  That would be worst case for the B's and should they not match would let Levi share the crease for the next couple of years and if Levi dominates then Swayman is his backup that 3rd year (maybe even the 2nd and 3rd years) and then he walks and the Sabres either find a new backup for Levi or somebody in the system is ready to step in as the backup at that time.  (Yes, the cupboard is pretty much barren today, but that can change w/in 3 years.)