Around the NHL 2023 Summer Edition

Brawndo

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Would Adams have paid that if he made the trade for Meier?  I think not.  

12 minutes ago, French Collection said:

They can’t afford to keep Graves.

Olofsson for Graves.  Straight up hockey trade.

Get'er done Kevyn.  

Edit:  Yes Graves will be a FA.  Just getting loopy waiting for a trade or two that improves this team.  

Edited by Pimlach

Say what you want about the price tag, but I think you can say the Devils rebuild is over and they are now a top competitor. 

So in 2018-19 Sabres and Devils were bottom dwellers with 76 and 72 points respectively. The next year we tied with 68 points each. 

They are now a playoff team and our future remains to be seen. Compare the differences in approach. 

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Say what you want about the price tag, but I think you can say the Devils rebuild is over and they are now a top competitor. 

So in 2018-19 Sabres and Devils were bottom dwellers with 76 and 72 points respectively. The next year we tied with 68 points each. 

They are now a playoff team and our future remains to be seen. Compare the differences in approach. 

Check back with me when they (NJD) win the cup. 

• Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Check back with me when they (NJD) win the cup. 

The real difference is NJ got it right the first time and the Sabres didn't.  So it's a second rebuild here, really.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

No question that the Devils are ahead of the Sabres right now.  While it's fair to look at the 2019 and 2020 results, I also think they were less of a train wreck organization than the Sabres were, with more respect for their GM and coach around the league.  Also, although you're right that they've brought in more talent from outside the organization than the Sabres have, I don't think that was really an option for the Sabres in the last few years (although hopefully that is changing).

I'd also point out that Vanacek and Meier didn't do much in the playoffs for them last year.  OTOH, they've gotten very strong contributions from the 2 defensemen they brought in, Hamilton and Marino, which I hope KA has noted -- but they didn't have much homegrown talent on the back end there either.

We'll see.  I'm fairly optimistic that the gap will be quite a bit narrower this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The real difference is NJ got it right the first time and the Sabres didn't.  So it's a second rebuild here, really.

The variable here is when are we saying this "2nd" rebuild or just rebuild (because it being Buffalo's 2nd is irrelevant to the success) began and what has happened. We have established that they both started in 2018-2019; that is our starting point. The before is only relevant when we look at assets going into it. I just don't think we have a conclusion to who did it the correct way yet. 

Right now, NJD look like being aggressive last couple years to add pieces was the smarter move and has them ahead. What happens when Buffalo's JJP and Quinn and Power age into the players that NJD had to trade for? Should be interesting this season if Adams goes out and gets a quality top 4 defender and a depth piece on defense. With that and Levi, I think the gap between the teams will look closer. 

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

The Devils are in such great shape. Hughes Hischier Hughes Nemec is a lot like Tage Cozens Dahlin Power. Tuch is like Meier. Hopefully Levi can be an x-factor for us. And the other young forwards can match and exceed Mercer/Bratt/whoever I'm forgetting 

Sabres have better young depth forwards, Devils have Dougie Hamilton.

22 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The variable here is when are we saying this "2nd" rebuild or just rebuild (because it being Buffalo's 2nd is irrelevant to the success) began and what has happened. We have established that they both started in 2018-2019; that is our starting point. The before is only relevant when we look at assets going into it. I just don't think we have a conclusion to who did it the correct way yet. 

Right now, NJD look like being aggressive last couple years to add pieces was the smarter move and has them ahead. What happens when Buffalo's JJP and Quinn and Power age into the players that NJD had to trade for? 

This note came up in several of the NJD threads last season. They may have been in the same spots in the standings a couple years back, but the team cores are at quite different ages. Part of that was the nice pickups in NJD's d-corps... but you don't sign a Hamilton if you already have Dahlin.

NJD got great contributions from F Hughes (future superstar) and F Mercer (excellent player). But otherwise, their only two players under 24 who did much were G Schmid and D Bahl (by games played).

By contrast, the Sabres entire top 4 of D were 23 or under. Cozens, Dahlin, Joker, Krebs, UPL, JJP, Power, Quinn, and Samuelsson were all under 24 last year. And that doesn't include Levi.

When the Sabres d-corp is 24-27... this is where the fun begins. The window hasn't even opened yet.

No question that the Devils are ahead of the Sabres right now.  While it's fair to look at the 2019 and 2020 results, I also think they were less of a train wreck organization than the Sabres were, with more respect for their GM and coach around the league.  Also, although you're right that they've brought in more talent from outside the organization than the Sabres have, I don't think that was really an option for the Sabres in the last few years (although hopefully that is changing).

I'd also point out that Vanacek and Meier didn't do much in the playoffs for them last year.  OTOH, they've gotten very strong contributions from the 2 defensemen they brought in, Hamilton and Marino, which I hope KA has noted -- but they didn't have much homegrown talent on the back end there either.

We'll see.  I'm fairly optimistic that the gap will be quite a bit narrower this year.

I hope the gap is narrower next year too, but I think back in 2019 a lot of people here were saying NJ was in worse shape than the Sabres and predictions were dire. They've added high draft picks like we have, but they have also balanced their roster with veterans for immediate need. When they added Hamilton lots of people scratched their heads and wondered but it paid off big time. We, are "prioritizing a 4D according to LeBrun" but so far haven't got one. The lesson here in comparison is make this happen. 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

So I guess Stone will go on LTIR for the full year (until the playoffs of course). 

Looks like somebody'll have to.  Maybe they figure Stone's already had his in-season vacation time so somebody else gets to take on his role this year.