Around the NHL 2023 Summer Edition

Brawndo

Just now, Taro T said:

If they did make an offer to Swayman, pretty sure that if they gave him a 3 year deal it would walk him to UFA status (didn't look closely at his history, may be off by a year).  That would be worst case for the B's and should they not match would let Levi share the crease for the next couple of years and if Levi dominates then Swayman is his backup that 3rd year (maybe even the 2nd and 3rd years) and then he walks and the Sabres either find a new backup for Levi or somebody in the system is ready to step in as the backup at that time.  (Yes, the cupboard is pretty much barren today, but that can change w/in 3 years.)

The way I see it, a move like this hitches your ride to that guy. And if Levi outplays that guy, then you’ve got a 6MM backup. Not to mention Levi is an RFA in two years, so that timeline doesn’t really match if you need to pay Levi. While Swayman could potentially be moved later, it isn’t exactly easy to move a 6MM player via trade without taking back a contract. And Buffalo will be a capped team by then. 

It just comes down to Levi’s trajectory and I think KA is a believer. 

12 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

The way I see it, a move like this hitches your ride to that guy. And if Levi outplays that guy, then you’ve got a 6MM backup. Not to mention Levi is an RFA in two years, so that timeline doesn’t really match if you need to pay Levi. While Swayman could potentially be moved later, it isn’t exactly easy to move a 6MM player via trade without taking back a contract. And Buffalo will be a capped team by then. 

It just comes down to Levi’s trajectory and I think KA is a believer. 

So, you have a $6MM backup for a year.  Big whoop.  The cap will be at least $6MM higher than it is now then.  And this is where getting guys like Thompson and Cozens on ~$7MM deals pays off.

Do not see Adams making a move on Swayman because there will be other options available and doubt he wants to start an offer sheet war with anybody.  But it won't be because they'd need to give Swayman a 3 year deal at $6+.  Levi isn't THAT much of a hot house orchid that he can't have competition on the roster.  Actually expect that he'd thrive in that situation.  He talks about how he loves the pressure.  Personally, based upon his work to date, believe him.

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

FYI! Program Alert! Calder Cup game 7, Hershey @ Coachella Valley, will be on NHLN and AHL TV for FREE!! Game time is Wednesday, June 21, 10pm ET.

You mean that place with the Carrot Festival that Bugs Bunny was going to in "Bully for Bugs"?

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Taro T said:

So, you have a $6MM backup for a year.  Big whoop.  The cap will be at least $6MM higher than it is now then.  And this is where getting guys like Thompson and Cozens on ~$7MM deals pays off.

Do not see Adams making a move on Swayman because there will be other options available and doubt he wants to start an offer sheet war with anybody.  But it won't be because they'd need to give Swayman a 3 year deal at $6+.  Levi isn't THAT much of a hot house orchid that he can't have competition on the roster.  Actually expect that he'd thrive in that situation.  He talks about how he loves the pressure.  Personally, based upon his work to date, believe him.

Totally agree 

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Offer sheet on Swayman was my idea way back when we first started the off season goaltending chat.  Puts Bruins in a really hard spot and Swayman is a lot better than some people here think he is. 

I'd rather poach Swayman than trade half our assets for Hellebuyck. I don't see it as a problem with Levi either. Devon isn't starting 65 games this year.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'd rather poach Swayman than trade half our assets for Hellebuyck. I don't see it as a problem with Levi either. Devon isn't starting 65 games this year.

You poach Swayman (although I suspect the Bruins would match the offer and then trade either him or Ullmark but you never know) and you have a goalie competition but the lean is Swayman 50+ games Levi 30+ , If their play changes that ratio so be it. If not you continue developing Levi as a back up and maybe 2-3 years later the ratio is different or you have one of them to trade. 

It's simply an option worth exploring. Sabres shouldn't really care if they piss off Boston, they're a rival. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

9 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

You poach Swayman (although I suspect the Bruins would match the offer and then trade either him or Ullmark but you never know) and you have a goalie competition but the lean is Swayman 50+ games Levi 30+ , If their play changes that ratio so be it. If not you continue developing Levi as a back up and maybe 2-3 years later the ratio is different or you have one of them to trade. 

It's simply an option worth exploring. Sabres shouldn't really care if they piss off Boston, they're a rival. 

I don't hate this idea.  Not at all.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

This only works if Buffalo keeps locking up players early. GMs don't seem to want to use offer sheets, but a retaliatory $13M/yr offer for Quinn (or whatever) would be annoying.