Rasmus close to extension at $10M per

tom webster

1 minute ago, Carmel Corn said:

If I'm not mistaken, that will put him 3rd overall (per year average) behind Karlsson and Doughty.  IMHO, it's a fair offer for a "new" long-term contract for a defender.

The key is to get it done before next season, once the nhl knows the escrow is gonna be paid off and with the Seattle revenue and artificial cap... we might see a 7 mill increase. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Happy Days said:

Only Karlsson and Doughty make more than $10 million per year as nhl defensemen. I was thinking that $9.5 million would be a good number for Rasmus and the team. 

Karlsson signed that contract in 2019 at 11.5 mil per.

Doughty signed that contract in 2018 at 11 mil per.

Whatever Dahlin signs, won’t start until the 24-25 season. 10 mil per is a very fair contract for both sides. Hell, so is 11 mil per.

19 hours ago, tom webster said:

Chad is confirming what shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone. Like he said, extension should be announced shortly after July 1st rolls around and will fall in line with cap percentage of Fox and Makar.

If the key here is the cap % of the Makar and Fox deals, then, regardless of whether that is referring to the cap % in year one of their contracts or today, the deal should come in with an AAV under $10.  Also, note that Makar’s was for 6 years and the Fox deal was for 7.  I’ll guess 7 x 9.7.  Which would be pretty great. 

Edited by Archie Lee
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Archie Lee said:

If the key here is the cap % of the Makar and Fox deals, then, regardless of whether that is referring to the cap % in year one of their contracts or today, the deal should come in with an AAV under $10.  Also, note that Makar’s was for 6 years and the Fox deal was for 7.  I’ll guess 7 x 9.7.  Which would be pretty great. 

Chad implied that extension percentage would run in line when first year of extension hit which would make it between &10-$10.2M

I don’t know the specifics of Dahlin’s deal yet but if it comes in around $10M for 7 or 8 years that sounds fair.

I know their window to earn money is narrow but there is also the balance of team building in play here.

He would leave more on the table for KA to lock up talent around him.

I know I always bash the Leafs but that is a major problem with the top end guys making so much money. They have to pay 19 players with half the cap.

Edited by French Collection

22 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I don’t know the specifics of Dahlin’s deal yet but if it comes in around $10M for 7 or 8 years that sounds fair.

I know their window to earn money is narrow but there is also the balance of team building in play here.

He would leave more on the table for KA to lock up talent around him.

I know I always bash the Leafs but that is a major problem with the top end guys making so much money. They have to pay 19 players with half the cap.

Leafs have had Rielly on a team friendly deal for pretty much the entire duration of his time there.  But depth wise... they have the 3rd and 4th highest paid centers in the league (with like no term left either), 4th highest paid winger in Marner.  They have Matthews and Nylander coming up on FA, then Tavares and Marner after that.  I'm just hoping Matthews leaves and the team falls apart.  Because we all know they're going to overpay some players in FA to keep up and it will go terribly.  

1 hour ago, Drag0nDan said:

Leafs have had Rielly on a team friendly deal for pretty much the entire duration of his time there.  But depth wise... they have the 3rd and 4th highest paid centers in the league (with like no term left either), 4th highest paid winger in Marner.  They have Matthews and Nylander coming up on FA, then Tavares and Marner after that.  I'm just hoping Matthews leaves and the team falls apart.  Because we all know they're going to overpay some players in FA to keep up and it will go terribly.  

Reilly is one of the few Leafs I don’t mind.

TSN radio yesterday were having a discussion of Matthews’ next contract. Bryan Hayes was extremely skeptical of him leaving money on the table for the team. Went on to say that more than $13M indicates he is all about the money and not the team. Term was another talking point, he took 5 years last time so he could be an UFA in his prime. To leave or to max out $$? Every other star is going 7-8 years and if he goes 4-5 again he could get another whopper around the age of 30. That would also show that it isn’t about the Leafs team.

I just don’t see all of this drama around Dahlin, which is good.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, French Collection said:

How much value is placed on TOI?

Rasmus playing 25:48 per game means you are getting a lot more ice time from him than a 20:00 forward. Rasmus can play almost half of the game while a forward plays a third.

Over a season you are getting 400-500 more minutes from a top Dman.

Which especially pays dividends in the playoffs. Scoring is so high now you tend to see forwards have the most impact during regular season games, but I’m super excited to see Dahlin (and, soon, Power) in the playoffs because I think we really stand to benefit from our best player, possibly our soon to be 2 best players, taking up the lion’s share of the ice time. Provided we solidify goalie. 

Its probably just my bias from being old and watching duos like Pronger / Niedermayer dominate back in the day but my hunch is we’re shaping up to have a duo that shines, particularly, in the playoff format 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Which especially pays dividends in the playoffs. Scoring is so high now you tend to see forwards have the most impact during regular season games, but I’m super excited to see Dahlin (and, soon, Power) in the playoffs because I think we really stand to benefit from our best player, possibly our soon to be 2 best players, taking up the lion’s share of the ice time. Provided we solidify goalie. 

Its probably just my bias from being old and watching duos like Pronger / Niedermayer dominate back in the day but my hunch is we’re shaping up to have a duo that shines, particularly, in the playoff format 

Another dominant group was Blake, Bourque and Foote for the Avs.

Then the gold standard I remember watching were Robinson, Savard, Lapointe for the 70’s Habs.

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Then the gold standard I remember watching were Robinson, Savard, Lapointe for the 70’s Habs.

That Avs win in 2001 over prime Brodeur/Devils, SANS Peter the Great, remains very impressive. 

That was a fantastic Colorado team, one of the great teams in my estimation, if you include Forsberg

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Rasmus playing 25:48 per game means you are getting a lot more ice time from him than a 20:00 forward. Rasmus can play almost half of the game while a forward plays a third.

This it the key.

Anytime really, but come playoff time, if you have a dominant D-man, he can control the game as much as, often times more than a great forward.   If Dahlin gets any better, you have a guy what can retrieve the puck from his own zone and get it out without many turnovers all by himself if need be.  Control the game from the back end. If you can get the puck, control it and get it out effecitvely from your own end and transition through the neutral zone it will be very hard for the opposing team to mount much offense.

Picture both Dahlin and Power getting a bit better than they are now.  Basically in the playoffs or any key game, ONE of them is on the ice at virtually all times even strength.  Hard to play against that.

13 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Picture both Dahlin and Power getting a bit better than they are now.  Basically in the playoffs or any key game, ONE of them is on the ice at virtually all times even strength.  Hard to play against that.

Dahlin will get a bit better, Power should get a lot better.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, French Collection said:

Everything was the gold standard on that team.  Dryden and Bunny Laroque in goal, the D you mention, LaFleur, Shutt, Gainey, Lemaire, Cournoyer, and on down the line.  Arguably the best team in history.  Even if you did not like them, you have to admire them.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, French Collection said:

I’d rather they were deep enough that he plays 20:00 per game and leave 25:00 per game to the playoffs.

But I am sure we all do.

• Like (+1) 5

6 hours ago, French Collection said:

The gold standard was Savard, Lapointe, and Laperriere and then it got even better when Robinson took Laperriere's spot in that triumverate.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

The gold standard was Savard, Lapointe, and Laperriere and then it got even better when Robinson took Laperriere's spot in that triumverate.

And their #4 was Butch Bouchard's son Pierre, who was a solid player too.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Taro T said:

Yes, until someone comes along to better them, this will be the first group/groups I think of when I think of defensive trios.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.