The Stanley Cup Playoffs 2023: First Round GDT

Eleven

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Eichel to see round 2 before Matthews 

Let's hope. 

(Yes, technically if the Loafs win 1 more against the Bolts, Jack will have gotten there sooner than Auston; but being there 1 or 2 games sooner doesn't really matter.  They'd be playing at the same time.  Really want the Bolts to find a way to win the next 2.  They've outplayed TO for the most part, but have simply broken down too often.  Stop the breakdowns and they can send Loaf Nation home early once again.)

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Let's hope. 

(Yes, technically if the Loafs win 1 more against the Bolts, Jack will have gotten there sooner than Auston; but being there 1 or 2 games sooner doesn't really matter.  They'd be playing at the same time.  Really want the Bolts to find a way to win the next 2.  They've outplayed TO for the most part, but have simply broken down too often.  Stop the breakdowns and they can send Loaf Nation home early once again.)

No, I mean he’s winning a series before Matthews literally 

It’s literally happening first regardless of what happens with the Leafs now.

I understand they are both currently playing in the same round, yes 

Edited by Thorny

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

No, I mean he’s winning a series before Matthews literally 

It’s literally happening first regardless of what happens with the Leafs now.

I understand they are both currently playing in the same round, yes 

Well, if you're going that direction with it, there's still a chance Auston "sees" the 2nd round before Jack (God forbid) because unless the Vegas series starts a day or 2 before a potential Loaf series would, the game in the Eastern Time Zone will start before the Vegas game in either the Mountain or Pacific Time Zones would.  ;)

But personally would be fine with Auston never getting to the 2nd round (or at least not until he's playing for his hometown Yotes).

Eichen being there really isn't an issue IMHO.  (Now, should the Knights win it all before the Sabres do; that would stink.)

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well, if you're going that direction with it, there's still a chance Auston "sees" the 2nd round before Jack (God forbid) because unless the Vegas series starts a day or 2 before a potential Loaf series would, the game in the Eastern Time Zone will start before the Vegas game in either the Mountain or Pacific Time Zones would.  😉

But personally would be fine with Auston never getting to the 2nd round (or at least not until he's playing for his hometown Yotes).

Eichen being there really isn't an issue IMHO.  (Now, should the Knights win it all before the Sabres do; that would stink.)

Why are you arguing with me

You know what I’m saying. 

Like what do you want me to say? Yes, I concede you’ve won this argument I didn’t know we were having. You are correct. 

It’s not like I was trying to just put a funny statement out to the effect of “jack won a round first”...didn’t think that could somehow be controversial I honestly didn’t see that coming 

Edited by Thorny

4 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Is Kevin Bahl any good? Or just another tall drink of water who leaves something to be desired? 

"good" might be the wrong word, but he's not "bad". 

https://www.nhl.com/player/kevin-bahl-8480860

Perhaps Lindy and the NJ management just realize (unlike the Sabres) that you still do in fact need some size and strength in the bottom half of your line up. I thought NJ might be speedy, but too small and soft for the playoffs but they clearly have a more balanced line up than I thought. 

https://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/n267513

• spndnchz changed the title to The Stanley Cup Playoffs 2023: First Round GDT
4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Setting the stage for a complete tear down followed by rebuild I imagine.  

So do we want anyone from that roster???

I’d take Pionk or Morressy on D if they’d take some combo of Olofsson, Mittlestadt, or picks.

• Haha (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

One of the better coach blow ups I’ve seen; he was seriously angry with his team. I’m 

I watched the game a little, flipping between the draft and passing out lol. They didn't seem to look very good at all. I know there are injuries, but they looked like they just laid down in that game. 

14 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The coach shows no accountability or responsibility for himself.  The players will love that.  

What is easier.  Fire the coach or replace 15 players?  

Easier to fire the coach, always is.

Injuries hurt them a lot but he is questioning the heart of his best players.

Good for Bowness, he’s been around 40+ years, he isn’t scared to speak up now that the season is over. He might want to retire anyway.

He took the C from long time captain Wheeler to shake up the old core. Scheifele has often disappeared. Dubois doesn’t want to extend.

The only guy that seemed to give it all was Lowry.

Hellebuyck may want out.

I really can't figure out these playoffs. The majority of what I thought would happen is just wrong not even 2 weeks in:

-I thought the Panthers were under-rated (not in the bottom 6 teams in the field) but I thought the Bruins would sweep them or at worst 5 games. I was wrong here.

-I thought Toronto would move on in 4 or 5, and even if Tampa won a game the Leafs would dominate play. Wrong again.

-Devils had a great season, but I thought this was the Rangers in 5 or 6, and the Rangers were the 2nd choice of mine to come out of the East. Looking bad here too.

-Jets were hit hard with injuries, but I thought this was an even series, with it tipping the Jets way in 6 or 7. Way wrong here.

-I thought the Hurricanes would make quick work of the Islanders, in 5, 6 at worst. Not looking good here.

-Colorado was going to dispatch of the Kraken in 4 or 5. They were easily my pick to come out of the west again. Wrong.

-Stars/Wild  and Kings/Oilers I thought were toss ups.  Those 2 are the only series I haven't been totally wrong on so far.

Just when I was confident I had a pretty good handle on teams, reality punches one back in the face to take that confidence down a notch.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I really can't figure out these playoffs. The majority of what I thought would happen is just wrong not even 2 weeks in:

-I thought the Panthers were under-rated (not in the bottom 6 teams in the field) but I thought the Bruins would sweep them or at worst 5 games. I was wrong here.

-I thought Toronto would move on in 4 or 5, and even if Tampa won a game the Leafs would dominate play. Wrong again.

-Devils had a great season, but I thought this was the Rangers in 5 or 6, and the Rangers were the 2nd choice of mine to come out of the East. Looking bad here too.

-Jets were hit hard with injuries, but I thought this was an even series, with it tipping the Jets way in 6 or 7. Way wrong here.

-I thought the Hurricanes would make quick work of the Islanders, in 5, 6 at worst. Not looking good here.

-Colorado was going to dispatch of the Kraken in 4 or 5. They were easily my pick to come out of the west again. Wrong.

-Stars/Wild  and Kings/Oilers I thought were toss ups.  Those 2 are the only series I haven't been totally wrong on so far.

Just when I was confident I had a pretty good handle on teams, reality punches one back in the face to take that confidence down a notch.

Playoff hockey. Things change quickly.

Analysts cite how a team has swept the season series and then that proceeds to lose.

I thought Hellebuyck would make a difference.

I thought Seattle wasn’t ready.

I thought New Jersey wasn’t ready and that Shesterkin would tip the scales.

The Leafs could still choke, there is a lot of pride in the Bolts room.

I picked Florida just because they were playing well going in and the President’s Trophy “jinx”.

13 hours ago, Thorny said:

Why are you arguing with me

You know what I’m saying. 

Like what do you want me to say? Yes, I concede you’ve won this argument I didn’t know we were having. You are correct. 

It’s not like I was trying to just put a funny statement out to the effect of “jack won a round first”...didn’t think that could somehow be controversial I honestly didn’t see that coming 

Thought we were having a discussion, but one where we had differing points of view.  Nobody needs to "win" the "argument."

You say Eichel is in the 2nd round sooner than anybody else (well, specifically before a particular individual) and technically that's correct.  But personally see it more like the USPTO views patent applications filed on the same day - they don't look at which one was submitted earlier in the day, they both came in that day.  Any applications filed the day before another gets submitted are considered to be prior art over that later submitted application but those submitted earlier in the same day as another aren't.

Any team that makes it out of the 1st round this year got to the 2nd round at the same time IMHO.  Hopefully that other guy gets to the 2nd round significantly later than Jack did.  (Never is sufficiently later btw.  😉 )

Will try to refrain from replying to your posts if we don't see exactly eye to eye for a while.  (Won't promise it, but will try.)  Not sure why you see disagreement as an attack, but you seem to and really don't want to be contributing towards running good posters away from here.

🍻

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.