Pittsburgh fires GM Hextall and POHO Burke

Brawndo

Not surprised they were fired but I think they were in a bit of an unfair bind. Sort of like JBot with Eichel, they came in and they had to meet with and appease Crosby. I remember hearing somewhere that Burke felt they should tear down and rebuild for last season already but Crosby wanted another kick at the can, and then another and they really had no choice but to try for the playoffs again, even with an aging roster that had virtually no chance and few options to improve. Catch 22 all the way. 

Hope Burke goes back to being the loudmouth old guy on HNIC. He used to amuse me there with all his "truculence" comments. 

Watch Philly re-hire Hextall as President 🙂 🙂 

6 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

My brother in law lives in Pittsburg. He said local sports radio was melting down over the Pens missing the playoffs. They are spoiled. He said the comments were laughable compared to our situation. 

Boston's like that too. The bar is simply much higher in cities like that. They expect more. 

Washington boots the coach but not the GM so I guess they think they can have one more run???? I think Pittsburgh and Washington are both done. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Boston's like that too. The bar is simply much higher in cities like that. They expect more. 

Washington boots the coach but not the GM so I guess they think they can have one more run???? I think Pittsburgh and Washington are both done. 

Tampa is not far away either. Those teams need a rebuild soon. 

9 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Tampa is not far away either. Those teams need a rebuild soon. 

Not far away but their key players are a little younger. No idea if they have anything left in their prospect pool. Probably not a lot. I think Tampa fades slowly but sticks around competing for another 3-5 years sort of like Pittsburgh's been doing this last while (until this year).

Big question for me would be the Leafs. If they fail to advance this year will it be a firing and a big trade or two? I doubt they tear down, but they might feel the need to move at least one of the big 4. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not far away but their key players are a little younger. No idea if they have anything left in their prospect pool. Probably not a lot. I think Tampa fades slowly but sticks around competing for another 3-5 years sort of like Pittsburgh's been doing this last while (until this year).

Big question for me would be the Leafs. If they fail to advance this year will it be a firing and a big trade or two? I doubt they tear down, but they might feel the need to move at least one of the big 4. 

No doubt if the Leafs fail again, major changes.  However, this is the year I think they may win a round or two.  

7 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

No doubt if the Leafs fail again, major changes.  However, this is the year I think they may win a round or two.  

I'm of the opposite opinion. TBL have been sandbagging for the past month and resting up for TO. TBL in 4, maybe 5 at the most. Ontario implodes and it gets really ugly as the wholesale changes rain down on management, coaching, players, staff, you name it. Just IMHO of course. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Which of these are the Sabres?

Ironically we fulfill both categories for the most part.

KA is a former player from 17 or so years ago; but does have managerial experience and analysis skills

Simultaneously we have a very highly thought of group of analytics guys whom KA brought in. 

Make the playoffs 16 years in a row, miss one year by a point or 2.....fired. 

I'm sure it's more nuanced than that, but it really shows the difference between organizations. 50% of teams make the playoffs (was even higher before the expansions) and we've still missed for 12 years! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

9 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Make the playoffs 16 years in a row, miss one year by a point or 2.....fired. 

I'm sure it's more nuanced than that, but it really shows the difference between organizations. 50% of teams make the playoffs (was even higher before the expansions) and we've still missed for 12 years! 

The writing has been on the wall since Fenway Sports Group took over in late 2021. FSG is very heavy into analytics with their sports teams while Burke and Hextall are certainly not. 

Shortly after being hired they did not renew the contract of Sam Ventura much to the delight of Adams and Karmanos. 

Winning a playoff round was the only thing that would have saved their jobs. 

On a side note, Ventura and Jason Botterill have been mentioned as possible GM candidates for Pittsburgh 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.