GDT: Sabres @ Devils - April 11, 2023, 7pm, MSG 📺 WGR 📻

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

With all the success that's going on with all the players I truly believe power is overlooked .

He had an outstanding rookie season in my eyes did not even look like a rookie.

Imagine him with 20 more pounds of muscle and DG making him channel Chris Pronger. I know he doesn’t have the snarl of Pronger but he could add a smidge of grit, to give him more room.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Must admit, I was skeptical on his ability to flip off the "development" switch and flip on the "win now" switch - which must mean better team defense.   

Granato has been an impressive coach.  He should get some votes for coach of the year, although this year there are many good candidates.  

It took twenty games that dug a hole too high for us to climb out of. The rose colored glasses you have is insane. 

Now I think a lot of this is an assistant coach issue, but he takes the blame still. February/March was awful hockey. 

• Disagree 3
  • dislike 1

2 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

It took twenty games that dug a hole too high for us to climb out of. The rose colored glasses you have is insane. 

Now I think a lot of this is an assistant coach issue, but he takes the blame still. February/March was awful hockey. 

Teams go through highs and lows for a number of reasons. They aren't robots. (Maybe the Bruins are.)

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Imagine him with 20 more pounds of muscle and DG making him channel Chris Pronger. I know he doesn’t have the snarl of Pronger but he could add a smidge of grit, to give him more room.

One thing I see consistently with Power is he’s hesitant to shoot the puck from the point. There’ll be a screen in front and he looks to pass instead. He needs to get more confidence.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Any word on who will be guarding the cage yet?

I don't have info on the Sabres but I did hear that the Devils are giving a guy his first NHL start.  I did NOT hear this from any type of inside source.  Just water cooler talk.

I do wonder whether the person I heard it from was confusing Hughes with a goaltender.

Edited by Eleven

1 hour ago, OverPowerYou said:

Everyone gets upset at our losses against the Columbuses and Philadelphias of the NHL. Just remember how many times we have beaten the Bruins, Lightning, Hurricanes, Devils, etc…

Or that the Islanders rolled over for a Caps team sitting everyone and lots of minor injuries and only dressing 17 because they're against the cap and not putting anyone on LTIR because there's no point.

31 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

One thing I see consistently with Power is he’s hesitant to shoot the puck from the point. There’ll be a screen in front and he looks to pass instead. He needs to get more confidence.

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Samuelsson isn't particularly nasty, but he does occasionally ride someone into the boards with authority, just to remind them that carrying the puck toward the net will result in their erasure. Power also needs to learn that. The Power of Power is knowing that he can do it and may just break out the punishment if need be. And the shot needs work...  He certainly has the length to change the angle and get it through a forward. It's a matter of getting the shot from "creates a rebound" to "will occasionally go through everything". And taking it. That's the missing ingredient from PP2 the last few games. They've had the possession, but the threat of the point shot opens up the one-timers from the circles and vice-versa.  (And he's got to work on getting his passes to the wheelhouse of Peterka/Quinn.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Yes, the AirBNB is pricing itself out.  My daughter was complaining about prices, as was my son, and just recently my wife and I opted for a Hilton over an AirBNB in Buffalo (Elmwood Village) for a week in the end of May.   Lower cost, triple points, easy parking, towels on request, and a much better bed - we went with a Hilton Suite.  We can drive to Elmwood in 10 minutes.  

Screw it, I’ll catch you losers at the game.

LFG!!!!’

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

Well, there you are, not following the conversation once again.  Surprise, surprise.  

I cannot compliment Granato for a job well done without your Mr. Magoo-like visionary prowess still not having things in proper focus?  

What 20 games?  Are you counting up all the losing streaks and pointing to that as the problem.  What a analytical genius.   Now try looking at root causes for the losing streaks instead.  Oh, you did, the coaches.  

Assistant Coaching might be an area to improve, but you don't know, you are just throwing blame out there.  Never mind that the rest of the hockey world knows this teams weaknesses, this has been discussed at length all season on this forum, and on every credible hockey site and hockey broadcast in North America.   Root causes are goaltending, depth, and experience.    None of that is on the coaches. 

Goaltending is obviously trending up with Devon Levi on board.   Depth still needs to be addressed in the off season.  Vital experience is being gained right now in this playoff race, and it is an on-going item to be addressed and balanced against all the prospects we have.  

I stand by my comments that Granato should be considered for coach of the year, I think he could get a few votes,   I fully understand there are many great candidates this season.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

52 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Am hoping that SO goal gave him the confidence that he can score on NHL goaltending (and a pretty durn good one too).  He's got the same disease a lot of the young guys have (nofaithintheirshotitis).

He'll shoot more next year and a lot more the year after once he actually feels strong out there, but rignt now he acts like he has a peashooter and refuses to fire unless it is the only option available to him.  30 goal scorer Cozens still suffers from this malady a touch but he definitely had the lightbulb switch on back sometime around early November and now will shoot when in a moderate danger area unless he thinks there's somebody open in a high danger spot.

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Or maybe sometimes it is the right decision not to shoot into a defenders that have essentially taken the shot away, especially when you have snipers on the ice to feed.  

I do agree that the offensive zone concept stresses puck movement, which leads to a lot of perimeter passing, and sometimes it seems excessive.   Power is no more guilty than anyone else IMO.  

16 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Or maybe sometimes it is the right decision not to shoot into a defenders that have essentially taken the shot away, especially when you have snipers on the ice to feed.  

I do agree that the offensive zone concept stresses puck movement, which leads to a lot of perimeter passing, and sometimes it seems excessive.   Power is no more guilty than anyone else IMO.  

No, with Power it isn't simply a case of making sure his shot isn't into a F's shinpads resulting in an odd man rush going the other way.  He NEVER shoots unless he's almost in the blue paint or he literally has no other options.  He should have at least 3 more shot attempts every game.  They lose a lot of opportunities for rebounds because he simply won't shoot.

Am at the point where it is really frustrating watching him out there when there is a cycle going because if the puck goes to him even when the shot is the right choice it isn't getting taken.

• Agree 1

I watched NJ play the Bruins the other day and they are very very similar to the Sabres and I don't really think they are any better. Only reason they have more points is because they had solid goaltending.  They have good and fast young talent but so do we. Can Levi go again? idk, that's asking a lot but maybe he's young and spry enough to continue. Pace like this is a lot to ask but there's no other option really. Winnable game if they skate and keep moving for a full 60. 

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

No, with Power it isn't simply a case of making sure his shot isn't into a F's shinpads resulting in an odd man rush going the other way.  He NEVER shoots unless he's almost in the blue paint or he literally has no other options.  He should have at least 3 more shot attempts every game.  They lose a lot of opportunities for rebounds because he simply won't shoot.

Am at the point where it is really frustrating watching him out there when there is a cycle going because if the puck goes to him even when the shot is the right choice it isn't getting taken.

Hmmm.  Hadn't notice it as an Owen Power thing.  Interesting.

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

I agree with all of it, but these are reminiscent of criticisms of Dahlin.  Power is 20.  When Dahlin was 20, people (not you, nor do I think you are doing this with Power now) here were questioning his value on the roster.  Power is going to learn naturally and, in addition to that, if coached the right way, he'll learn from that too.  I expect more shots and fewer dumb passes next year, and the year after, etc.

Edited by Eleven
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.