GDT: Rangers at Sabres-03-31 7:00PM Levi debuts

MattPie

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

On a side note, did anyone hear Pat Kane's name tonight?

Didn’t hear his name on a side note, front note, or back note. Which was great because he’s been a PITA against us in the past. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

He doesn’t seem to commit to the shot until he sees whether he has to make a save low or make a save high. It won’t be as simple as “shoot high on Devon Levi” and you beat him. Imo, it will be a question of whether to go blocker side or glove side vs. going high or low. 

One thing Anderson said earlier in the year is that one thing that helped him stay in the league this long was his ability read the play and know where the shot is coming from.  Comrie and UPL don't have that.  They play the technical game of positioning and hoping the puck hits them.  One game in, Levi seems to have that play-reading ability.  He made a couple of saves in traffic that the other two wouldn't have made, actively saving the puck based on where he thinks it's coming from and going to based on the play.  There were a few tonight that I thought, "How did he know that's where the puck was coming from?" when making saves in traffic.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 8

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

On a side note, did anyone hear Pat Kane's name tonight?

Yes, but much in the same way we hear, for instance, Olofsson's name.  At this point he's not the player he once was and at this point I'll be disappointed if the Sabres sign him as a free agent.  He is not where this team is going.

1 hour ago, jad1 said:

Skinner is pure uncontrolled chaos on the ice.

Chaotic Good.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

One thing Anderson said earlier in the year is that one thing that helped him stay in the league this long was his ability read the play and know where the shot is coming from.  Comrie and UPL don't have that.  They play the technical game of positioning and hoping the puck hits them.  One game in, Levi seems to have that play-reading ability.  He made a couple of saves in traffic that the other two wouldn't have made, actively saving the puck based on where he thinks it's coming from and going to based on the play.  There were a few that that I thought, "How did he know that's where the puck was coming from?" when making saves in traffic.

Yeah, he seems to read the play exceptionally well. Especially for such a young goalie. That save on Kakko in the first was all about the read and quick reaction to what he was seeing. UPL and Comrie would still be sliding to their left after the puck was already in the net. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

He definitely did not look out of place. Very solid debut.

Really, just like Power's debut last year. 

There was some talk of drafting college players.  The good part about them is that when you finally get them on professional ice, they're a lot closer to NHL-ready than 18-year-old prospects.  They don't need as much development (kind of like the way NFL rookies are ready to contribute at the pro level immediately after college).

• Like (+1) 2

A very nice win for the team and Devon. Well deserved.

He is not big but his quickness is impressive. He holds his glove nice and high to help cover the top of the net. His save on Tarasenko was a quick flinch of the shoulder, I think that shot was headed for the top corner. Very calm presence in the net, looks like Carey Price.

Mule was very effective tonight, made the whole unit better.

The kid line was great, the scary thing for other teams is how much upside they have.

I’m going to bed happy, Levi gives me hope.

• Like (+1) 6

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I thought what distinguished his play was his good rebound control. His anticipation and positioning were superb. As far as size goes it is irrelevant because his other attributes such quickness, positioning and glove work compensate for his lack of standard size for the position. He may not be big but you can see that he stoutly plays, especially when there is traffic in front of him. He's an exciting prospect who is likely to contribute right away. 

It's not "irrelevant". As I said, he may be able to overcome it, but he will have to be better than many other goalies to do that. Maybe he will be. Don't know yet. Rangers were not shooting high. As for puck control, he lost it several times between his pads, once resulting in a goal. Maybe first game nerves, but if he does that a lot there will be a lot of dirty goals against and teams knowing that will drive the paint harder. With our D, that may be a big problem. 

He is an exciting prospect, but it remains to be seen if will be set him back by rushing him in and/or how he develops. Looking at UPL's failures and lack of development I'm not sure we have the right goalie coach either. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

He doesn’t seem to commit to the shot until he sees whether he has to make a save low or make a save high. It won’t be as simple as “shoot high on Devon Levi” and you beat him. Imo, it will be a question of whether to go blocker side or glove side vs. going high or low. 

That doesn’t suck.

Possibly. Have to see more to be sure. 

• spndnchz changed the title to GDT: Rangers ar Sabres-03-31 7:00PM Levi debuts
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.