GDT: Dallas @ Sabres - Mar. 9, 2023, 7:00pm, MSG, ESPN+, & WGR

WhenWillItEnd66

20 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Well, we are obviously going to finish the season with this roster.

DG is not going anywhere, KA likes his development model. I hope they realize they need help with team D and special teams and make the necessary changes to the staff this summer.

Many teams will be in cap hell and KA needs to take advantage of his cap space to improve. These are not examples of the Sabres needs but guys like Pacioretty and Leddy were given away just to be cap compliant. Sometimes the sender even sweetens the pot with a draft pick.

KA has not weaponized the cap space at all. I have been on that horse for a while but I don’t know why not. The cap squeeze is not upon them yet and he doesn’t need to take on long term deals. Even around the trade deadline, they did not broker any trades to get a pick or two.

Looking at what the needs are, I think going hard after Saros and finding a partner for Power should be the priorities. Trotz loves his goalies so I hope Askarov is ready and that Saros wants a change.

#3-4 Dmen will be available, I don’t care if they are a bit older. KA seems to want younger guys with term but the new guy could replace the experience/leadership of KO. A bonus would be a guy from a team that has had deep runs

My biggest fear regarding this team is that Adams stays with the build from within approach, even in the off-season.   Meaning UPL and Comrie in net next season.  No real significant adds to the defense, and only bring in our own rookies (Savioe, Kulich, etc) at forward.  

Then I think, he was interested in Chyckrun, so he must know we need to get better and deeper on defense. 

I am just leery that the organization is satisfied with "being in the race", rather than actually ending this historic playoff drought. They were surprised by the team success this year, and even that is a bit troubling.  

Do Adams and Granato have what it takes to move the needle this off-season, like Tom Fitzgerald and Lindy Ruff did in New Jersey?  

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:
  • The day after....eeash. Playoffs are obviously done but more disturbing is that I really don't even know who this team is anymore. Are they years away? Is our coach out the door? Can our defense and goaltending really be this bad? Can we please go back to last week as this feels exactly the same as last year.

Are they years away? - No.
Is our coach out the door? - No, at least not the head coach.

Can our defense and goaltending really be this bad? - Yes.
Can we please go back to last week as this feels exactly the same as last year. - No and yes.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Spoonman said:

Enjoy your negativity. I know there is work to do, but you & your compatriots are missing out on the positives. 

You all will be all yelling from the rooftops when Sabres get really good (1-2 yrs.). Many of us are keeping receipts. 

Well .... I think we all learned not to mess with @Spoonman last night.   Whew! 

dirty harry cop GIF

• Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Well .... I think we all learned not to mess with @Spoonman last night.   Whew! 

dirty harry cop GIF

There are a few that get upset when the negativity comes up. Hey we are young, there are some serious issues with this team. Many of us are old enough to be tired of the endless rebuild. When that stops and the arena is full again, there will not be that much negativity. 

6 minutes ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

There are a few that get upset when the negativity comes up. Hey we are young, there are some serious issues with this team. Many of us are old enough to be tired of the endless rebuild. When that stops and the arena is full again, there will not be that much negativity. 

Exactly. I’ve been a Sabres fan for 40+ years and I’ve ride and died with them.  The last of my positivity go a burned up after having absolute elation that the Sabres finally got a “team changing” generational player and watching this organization just destroyed it. They have to do a lot more for me to get excited about this team again. There is still a lot this organization can absolutely ***** up.  

I believe that Adams and Granato have eyes.  They can see that this team needs defense, goaltending, and more grit and toughness.  The minor moves at the deadline to add Stillman and Greenway added some grit and toughness and a (very) little bit of defensive depth.  They didn't do more to patch the holes because it wasn't worth it.  They could have traded away young players or high draft picks to acquire veteran players, but even if they did, and the team squeezed into the playoffs, they were not going to beat Boston or Carolina in a 7 game series.  They would be lucky to win a game in such a series.  I expect that more moves will be made in the offseason to address the holes that the team has and that the team will be better overall next year.  I also expect that Granato is going to focus more on defensive play next season.  He's been transparent and said that he's taught offense first, because it's easier to teach, easier for guys to buy in to, and more entertaining.  That is getting the team to roughly a .500 team, an improvement from where they've been.  It's built some momentum.  Now the defensive concepts can be worked it.  The opposite approach was that of Ralph Kreuger, who pushed a rigid, conservative, defensive-minded system first.  It took all of the fun out of the game, the players lost confidence in themselves and in the team, the guys tuned out, and the bottom dropped out.  Will the Adams/Granato plan work?  I don't know, but based on the progress I've seen over the course of the last couple of seasons, I'm in for the ride. 

None of this makes last night's game any more tolerable, but I think they ran out of gas after putting a great effort forth against Edmonton and losing, then a strong start against the Isles and losing.  They were physically and mentally drained, and what they had left in the tank was not close to enough against a strong team like Dallas.  I think their "spirit" was broken by those two losses and Dallas took full advantage of a fragile team.  I don't expect they'll be able to recover from this to make the playoffs, but I'd like to at least seem them get back on track and be competitive in their last stretch of games.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

Exactly. I’ve been a Sabres fan for 40+ years and I’ve ride and died with them.  The last of my positivity go a burned up after having absolute elation that the Sabres finally got a “team changing” generational player and watching this organization just destroyed it. They have to do a lot more for me to get excited about this team again. There is still a lot this organization can absolutely ***** up.  

Who? Eichel? Ha!

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

My biggest fear regarding this team is that Adams stays with the build from within approach, even in the off-season.   Meaning UPL and Comrie in net next season.  No real significant adds to the defense, and only bring in our own rookies (Savioe, Kulich, etc) at forward.  

Then I think, he was interested in Chyckrun, so he must know we need to get better and deeper on defense. 

I am just leery that the organization is satisfied with "being in the race", rather than actually ending this historic playoff drought. They were surprised by the team success this year, and even that is a bit troubling.  

Do Adams and Granato have what it takes to move the needle this off-season, like Tom Fitzgerald and Lindy Ruff did in New Jersey?  

You hit the nail on the head.  He was very interested in Chychrun and (thankfully) wouldn’t give up either Kulich or Savoie

he also tried to trade for Murray last year at the draft 

so there is still hope.   

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I was, and still am fine with the lack of moves at the deadline. But as you said some things need to be done internally and externally this offseason.

They really can't take a 'build from within' approach to the D-unit, because there simply isn't much to build from within to work with.  Do you sign Johnson? If yes, is he ready for the NHL? If so is he good enough to be a top 4 guy? Too many "ifs" for me.

-Has Comrie been playing still bothered by an injury? Do you think UPL can take a step forward in the offseason. If the answer to those things is "No" then you have to seriously think about goaltending again.

-Cozens, Tage, Power, even Peterka and the other young guys....can you convince them to spend more time on video or in Buffalo over the Summer, working on their 2 way game and just learning things they haven't been exposed to yet?

-Can you find and add a D-man with talent to be a 2nd pair guy....maybe 2 guys like that, and have them both added to your top 6?  In Addition to that, can you find a guy with NHL talent that may need a little work, and have him in Rochester so you at least have ONE more guy in the pipeline?

-Can Mitts be your true 2-way center?  A guy who can put up 40 or more points and be a top guy in the league at shutting down other teams top lines at the same time?  If No, can you find one?  It looks like you have your top 2 C's in terms of scoring/production, now I need a guy who is a TRUE shut down guy with SOME offensive talent.

I don't need the top free agent on everyone's list to come here, but I do want to see some progress on the above.

Edited by mjd1001

Just now, mjd1001 said:

I was, and still am fine with the lack of moves at the deadline. But as you said some things need to be done internally and externally this offseason.

-Has Comrie been playing still bothered by an injury? Do you think UPL can take a step forward in the offseason. If the answer to those things is "No" then you have to seriously think about goaltending again.

-Cozens, Tage, Power, even Peterka and the other young guys....can you convince them to spend more time on video or in Buffalo over the Summer, working on their 2 way game and just learning things they haven't been exposed to yet?

-Can you find and add a D-man with talent to be a 2nd pair guy....maybe 2 guys like that, and have them both added to your top 6?  In Addition to that, can you find a guy with NHL talent that may need a little work, and have him in Rochester so you at least have ONE more guy in the pipeline?

-Can Mitts be your true 2-way center?  A guy who can put up 40 or more points and be a top guy in the league at shutting down other teams top lines at the same time?  If No, can you find one?  It looks like you have your top 2 C's in terms of scoring/production, now I need a guy who is a TRUE shut down guy with SOME offensive talent.

I don't need the top free agent on everyone's list to come here, but I do want to see some progress on the above.

you have to seriously think about goaltending

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sidc3000 said:

You do realize when you talk about the “this organization” you are referring to numerous different organizations that have quickly come and gone under the current ownership.  No one is around from Pegula’s first crew, or second crew.  In fact the GM has changed 3 times since he got here and so have all the key FO positions, including the scouts.  We are on the 6th coach (Ruff, Rolston, Nolan, Housley, Kruger, and Granato) of the Pegula era.   After Ruff, what team would have hired any of these guys as HC?  None but Ruff are even in the NHL today.  

Contrast that with the Sabres first 50 years (pre-Pegula).  In those years we had the fourth highest winning percentage in the league.  Stability - We had 6 GMs, which was really 5, as one of them was a known 1 year stop gap in between Punch and Scotty.  

If we actually did acquire a “generational  player“  it would be Dahlin, not Eichel, and we still have him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I'm really just bummed that I picked up last minute tickets and was hoping for a fun night out. That game was anything but "fun" unless you're a Stars fan. 

How to lose a fan base step number 2:

2) Ensure you lose all your games at home in the most tragic depressing ways possible

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

Yes and the day he was drafted that is exactly how every sabres fan felt and what the all the hockey experts were saying.

Right. I get all that. I was here for it, I certainly know the expectations hoisted upon Eichel. 

But I don't think the Sabres ruined Eichel. Eichel is having a "Hall of Very Good Career", but he isn't "the guy" and likely never will be. He isn't a generational player. And even in his new home on a great team, his one millionth NHL coach is saying he isn't living up to the hype. He is an awesome piece to have, but he is a standard deviation behind real generational players like Ovi, McDavid, Crosby, etc. 

Eichel was totally fair to want to leave here. That period is/was a disaster. But the organization was equally as just to not want him in the building. 

• Like (+1) 1

First step KA needs to take this off season, is to bring in a competent #1 goaltender. Enough of the has been, might be, could be garbage. Then, at least 1 big physical, nasty defenseman. He got Stillman who is an energy player, but brings nothing else. Except being a punching bag. I'd take a young Drew Doughty at this point. Kevin says he doesn't like his team being bullied, so he trades for a speed bag and a big forward, who seems to not like to play the physical game. Size don't matter if they don't use it to their advantage. I really don't know if I trust KA to get this team over the hump. His idea of toughness does not seem to fit with what he has done...yet. Please just start with a decent goalie and work from there out. Toughen up the defense, and then worry about the forwards. Plenty of goal scores on this team. 

I'm so ***** frustrated with this organization. 

Rant over. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Fact does remain that we are a team loaded with young guys with a few vets thrown in whereas these other teams are vet teams with a few young guys thrown in. Someone rightly pointed out that Power has far exceeded the amount of games he has played in last few years and yes the young guys looked gassed. That is not an excuse but rather the plain truth. This is a long grind to the finish line and without key players (Tuch) and with many clearly hurt (Dahlin among others) and with obvious need in goal we are what we are. Still like this team and it's future...just needs some work which I think we all know is pretty clear. There is no way KA or Meatballs does not see these obvious needs too.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, sabrefanday1 said:

Fact does remain that we are a team loaded with young guys with a few vets thrown in whereas these other teams are vet teams with a few young guys thrown in. Someone rightly pointed out that Power has far exceeded the amount of games he has played in last few years and yes the young guys looked gassed. That is not an excuse but rather the plain truth. This is a long grind to the finish line and without key players (Tuch) and with many clearly hurt (Dahlin among others) and with obvious need in goal we are what we are. Still like this team and it's future...just needs some work which I think we all know is pretty clear. There is no way KA or Meatballs does not see these obvious needs too.

Thank you for the rational post.  Have seen a lot of doom and gloom here which isn't accounting for the larger picture

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I’ve never seen a 10 score game with one goalie in for the whole game.  10 minutes, 7 minutes, what is the difference, the guy was shell shocked and had no confidence.   

The time to pull him was the fourth goal.  To wake the dam team up hopefully.   

Would've gone with the 5th.  But yes, he should've been pulled.  For his sake and the team's.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

Is that a real question?

Is it me, or is Dallas a huge team? I bet their shortest guy is Pavelski, and he’s gotta be 200 lbs! It should be mentioned in all this woe is us that they are also pretty good.

It was a real question yes, One in which you still haven't answered other than we need to get taller? Bigger? and the Stars are good,  I'm not really sure what your reply is to be honest.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.