GDT: Dallas @ Sabres - Mar. 9, 2023, 7:00pm, MSG, ESPN+, & WGR

WhenWillItEnd66

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Right. I get all that. I was here for it, I certainly know the expectations hoisted upon Eichel. 

But I don't think the Sabres ruined Eichel. Eichel is having a "Hall of Very Good Career", but he isn't "the guy" and likely never will be. He isn't a generational player. And even in his new home on a great team, his one millionth NHL coach is saying he isn't living up to the hype. He is an awesome piece to have, but he is a standard deviation behind real generational players like Ovi, McDavid, Crosby, etc. 

Eichel was totally fair to want to leave here. That period is/was a disaster. But the organization was equally as just to not want him in the building. 

I am not saying the sabres ruined Eichel and obviously he wasn’t the answer. What the problem was is that the who team was totally mismanaged from the minute they selected jack at the draft. I don’t trust any sabres management at this point because the have proven over and over again that they can ***** up a wet dream. I get Adams has hired supposedly some gurus who are going to make this team the best ever seen but until that happens, they have a who lot to ***** prove

1 hour ago, GoPuckYourself said:

It was a real question yes, One in which you still haven't answered other than we need to get taller? Bigger? and the Stars are good,  I'm not really sure what your reply is to be honest.

Sorry, those were two separate thoughts.

You asked if it's because we are young, how is it going to be better next year. It seems self explanatory, but, our really young guys will be one year older and therefore that much less young. I really think a lot of these guys have not yet hit their ceiling and some of them aren't even close to it.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:
  • The day after....eeash. Playoffs are obviously done but more disturbing is that I really don't even know who this team is anymore. Are they years away? Is our coach out the door? Can our defense and goaltending really be this bad? Can we please go back to last week as this feels exactly the same as last year.

This is why I find it helpful to look at the macro. For all the endless yaking we do, sometimes you do glean a lot from the more pulled -back, more-variables-accounted-for view. It’s why we get tried and true cliches like “you are what your record says.”

relax, and lets see how the stretch plays out. If we win 6 more games and lose 12 and finish below .500 and below Bylsma’s 81 point mark from 7 years ago...ya, the rebuild is behind pace and I’d have some pretty strong concerns moving forward. 75 points last year to 80 points this year is not much progress, not a mark of a rebuild on schedule. And how could we expect a SIZEABLE improvement next season to the extent we make the playoffs, if we are THAT far back, and only improved a few points or so, with all the career years we DID see? 

But if we finish up reasonably, just reasonably, and finish with, say, the 87 points we are paced for. That still seems to be in line with the growth many were projecting this year that would be inclusive of evidence that the build was going well: a 12 point improvement (75-87) is something we can work with. In addition to our first .500 year in a decade (maybe even Deluca?) and finally surpassing Bylsma’s mark, which I find both symbolic and important. 

12 point improvement, again, next season, would be 99 points and playoffs

lets see how things finish up 

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Before the season started, I predicted that the Sabres could have a 90 point season and stay in the playoff hunt up to the end of the season. I believe we are on pace for those goals. As @Thornystated an increase from a 79 to 90 point season is a step in the right direction. The organization couldn't get a deal done with Ullmark. At this point it is a waste of time to argue why that didn't happen. (I lay the most blame on the GM for his inflexibility.) But factoring in that setback at the most important position on the ice, if the team does get to the 90 benchmark and does have a winning or even a break-even season, then when taking a wider perspective this season has been at the minimum a modest success. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This is why I find it helpful to look at the macro. For all the endless yaking we do, sometimes you do glean a lot from the more pulled -back, more-variables-accounted-for view. It’s why we get tried and true cliches like “you are what your record says.”

relax, and lets see how the stretch plays out. If we win 6 more games and lose 12 and finish below .500 and below Bylsma’s 81 point mark from 7 years ago...ya, the rebuild is behind pace and I’d have some pretty strong concerns moving forward. 79 points last year to 80 points this year is not progress, not a mark of a rebuild on schedule. And how could we expect a SIZEABLE improvement next season to the extent we make the playoffs, if we are THAT far back, and only improved 1 point or so, with all the career years we DID see? 

But if we finish up reasonably, just reasonably, and finish with, say, the 87 points we are paced for. That still seems to be in line with the growth many were projecting this year that would be inclusive of evidence that the build was going well: an 11 point improvement (76-87) is something we can work with. In addition to our first .500 year in a decade (maybe even Deluca?) and finally surpassing Bylsma’s mark, which I find both symbolic and important. 

11 point improvement, again, next season, would be 98 points and playoffs

lets see how things finish up 

Points aside, we have equal wins to last season with 18 left. As long as the ship isn’t sunk we should be able to see measured improvement. 

If we don’t though….I’ll likely start to sharpen my pitchfork 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Before the season started, I predicted that the Sabres could have a 90 point season and stay in the playoff hunt up to the end of the season. I believe we are on pace for those goals. As @Thornystated an increase from a 79 to 90 point season is a step in the right direction. The organization couldn't get a deal done with Ullmark. At this point it is a waste of time to argue why that didn't happen. (I lay the most blame on the GM for his inflexibility.) But factoring in that setback at the most important position on the ice, if the team does get to the 90 benchmark and does have a winning or even a break-even season, then when taking a wider perspective this season has been at the minimum a modest success. 

Agree but not sure about “break even”. To me we definitely need to surpass .500

16 minutes ago, Mango said:

Points aside, we have equal wins to last season with 18 left. As long as the ship isn’t sunk we should be able to see measured improvement. 

If we don’t though….I’ll likely start to sharpen my pitchfork 

Ya I’m ready to try and look for the positives in a high-80s finish. 

if we collapse down the stretch here and are at like 80, that’s gonna be tough to reconcile 

Old wounds, what not 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

This team is much improved. Still very young. Lots of potential. But lacks depth. Goaltending. And needs another solid defenseman. Bonafide starter. So I am positive. 

But they are not a playoff caliber team. Even if they got lucky to get in. Clearly. Need some improvement by the players and a couple of new free agents.

Big off-season for Adams if he is going to build a winner. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.