First impressions of Jordan Greenway

Quint

Maybe it's not fair to judge by first impressions but sometimes it tells you important things about a person.

I watched his presser today which I couldn't get all the way through. The first question was about what was his reaction he was coming to Buffalo. I noticed that he didn't look very happy and he shook his head from side to side a lot. His head and eyes were down much of the time.  He said he was excited to be part of the Sabres but he kept shaking his head and looking doward and his body language seemed to contradict what he was saying. Maybe it's attitude, fatigue or he's just not a good interview.

(from changingminds.org: Turning the head from side to side usually indicates disagreement or disapproval and may originate in infant refusal of food)

As for the game, he had a couple of interesting scrums in the corners in both the first and the second but it seemed he was benched (?) in the third. He will be a ton to take care of behind the net. He made a couple of good defensive plays and got a routine wrister off from long distance which was a can of corn for the goalie. I didn't get much of an impression of him making his presence felt except in a scrum or two. 

I didn't notice Jordan much at all in the third. I'm not going to read too much into this first performance, especially with two of our top guys out of the lineup in Tuch and Samuelson and also Stillman, forcing to play Bryson and Clague. There was a disjointed feel to this game. It started off well then the Oilers took over and it seemed as if the Sabres were never really in synch. Lot of missed chances.

The Wild fans say that although he has a lot of physical gifts, but he's lazy. We'll see. 

Edited by Quint
  • Like (+1) 1

I liked how he played. Wasn't the Steve Bernier debut some had hoped for maybe, but it was nice to have that sandpaper element in the lineup. Sabres really missed having a player like him. Would be nice to add someone else tough and with some bite to that lineup. He made a really nice pass to Cozens too. I think we'll really like Greenway the more we watch him play. His battles behind the net were fantastic in controlling possession. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Two or less said:

I liked how he played. Wasn't the Steve Bernier debut some had hoped for maybe, but it was nice to have that sandpaper element in the lineup. Sabres really missed having a player like him. Would be nice to add someone else tough and with some bite to that lineup. He made a really nice pass to Cozens too. I think we'll really like Greenway the more we watch him play. His battles behind the net were fantastic in controlling possession. 

You're right it was a good cross-ice pass to Cozens, who missed a few good chances, including that one. But I was relieved when he came back from that blocked shot. The way he was crawling to the bench was scary. We'll see if he needs time off. Skinner missed one or two others too. The Skinner goal was a funny one...he took it away from VO, who has been snakebit lately. The Oilers missed a few great chances two including that 2 on 0 in the third. I don't know how that didn't end up in the net. Thompson hit yet another post. In the end we were beaten by McDavid, which happens to many teams.

Edited by Quint
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Quint said:

You're right it was a good cross-ice pass to Cozens, who missed a few good chances, including that one. But I was relieved when he came back from that blocked shot. The way he was crawling to the bench was scary. We'll see if he needs time off. Skinner missed one or two others too. The Skinner goal was a funny one...he took it away from VO, who has been snakebit lately. The Oilers missed a few great chances two including that 2 on 0 in the third. I don't know how that didn't end up in the net. Thompson hit yet another post. In the end we were beaten by McDavid, which happens to many teams.

After Tuch essp, but thankfully it was just his skate blade that broke off.

• Like (+1) 2

I think it won’t be until 2023-2024 season where we see his full potential. Not expecting a lot this year since he doesn’t know the system and there won’t be a lot of practices with the crazy schedule the rest of the way. Hopefully it’ll be enough to stick around. If not, teams are always looking for grit at the trade deadlines. 

2 hours ago, Quint said:

Cozens wasn’t injured, he lost his blade and couldn’t stand up. 

8 hours ago, Quint said:

. There was a disjointed feel to this game. It started off well then the Oilers took over and it seemed as if the Sabres were never really in synch.

The Wild fans say that although he has a lot of physical gifts, but he's lazy. I hope Granato can fix his supposed attitude. I would have liked to see a goal, an assist, some fire...something. I didn't see much other than the boring style that Minnesota plays from him.

The Sabres were dominant in the 2nd period. 3rd period and 1st period were roughly even (until the last 5min of the 3rd when Buffalo was pushing). 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Give him time to learn the system and to find his game and his role.  

I'd agree with this. Greenway probably has mixed emotions leaving his team and friends behind. The Sabres system is different than Minnesota and he doesn't know the guys on his line. He feels pressure as being someone that was traded to prove himself. I'd think he needs probably 5-10 games before we really see what he could bring. 

• Like (+1) 2

Regarding the press conference, nah, that’s just how he talks with the media.

For example, this post game presser from over a year ago.  His team had just won 7-4 and he went to podium wearing a goofy shirt with Kevin Fiala’s face on it.  He still barely cracked a smile.  Same energy and mannerisms.

https://www.nhl.com/wild/video/greenway-postgame-vs-detroit/t-277437412/c-10574088

Edited by Curt

I saw a bottom 6 forward (with potential to play top 6) with size who can use his size to cycle effectively. His bouncing around lines a bit didn't really lead to anything that popped in one night.

I missed the first half of the third, but I didn't see him drive to the net with intent which sounds consistent with the reports out of Minnesota. He's got the size to be a nemesis for opposing goalies and defensemen. His defensive and all-around game will be good (and maybe great) for the Sabres the next couple years. But if he remains on the perimeter too much he'll be another oft-complained-about player.

Edited by DarthEbriate

30 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

You can see that he is very responsible defensively. 

Tage, Tuch, Cozens, Greenway, Power, Dahlin, Muel.  They are definitely a much bigger team then they have been in years past.

But everytime Paul Hamilton is on WGR, he mentions how small the Sabres are.  

Now if his beef is they don’t play big, I might listen.  But that’s not what he says.  

I wouldn’t read into the interview, that’s just his energy.

In the game he clearly showed the qualities that he was picked up for.  He wins forechecks, both physically and with the puck on his stick afterwards, something only Tuch otherwise does.  After he wins that forecheck he immediately makes a quick strong pass to someone in position to shoot; he doesn’t defer to cycle first and he doesn’t pass slowly to areas just hoping someone is there. This is a breath of fresh air for this team and I hope it gets contagious.  So many nights we lack getting the puck into the slot for shots and that’s what he seems to want to force.  Connor McDavid was even giving Buffalo credit for this after the first. You could tell our players were surprised they had the puck on their stick and that’s something they need to adjust to as well. Once the confidence those passes will be there comes the goals quickly follow. 

On the other hand he clearly was still confused by the system in the neutral zone. His feet stop after a forecheck and he’s not quick to return. In the defensive zone he’s in no hurry to leave, both in a good and a bad way.  Going to need some time to get up to speed. I think this is all the benching was about.

It’s clear he deserves to be paired with fast players who can finish. Callahan said this as well- he was wasted on a line full of grit in Minnesota. Granato halfway through the game was already moving him off our grit line which was encouraging. I think he gets onto the third line with Krebs and a finisher and makes that line a net positive, regardless of who is on that RW. He will need to grow into the system some before he plays on a second line with Cozens. It gets hard to demote Mittelstadt or Quinn to a third line right now and that’s a good place to be in.

Granato mentioned he wanted to get him into the PP. There’s more to see after he gets time to practice, not sure what he will get while playing 4 games a week until the season ends.

I’m whelmed. 

Edited by triumph_communes
  • Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Quint said:

Maybe it's not fair to judge by first impressions but sometimes it tells you important things about a person.

I watched his presser today which I couldn't get all the way through. The first question was about what was his reaction he was coming to Buffalo. I noticed that he didn't look very happy and he shook his head from side to side a lot. His head and eyes were down much of the time.  He said he was excited to be part of the Sabres but he kept shaking his head and looking doward and his body language seemed to contradict what he was saying. Maybe it's attitude, fatigue or he's just not a good interview.

(from changingminds.org: Turning the head from side to side usually indicates disagreement or disapproval and may originate in infant refusal of food)

As for the game, he had a couple of interesting scrums in the corners in both the first and the second but it seemed he was benched (?) in the third. He will be a ton to take care of behind the net. He made a couple of good defensive plays and got a routine wrister off from long distance which was a can of corn for the goalie. I didn't get much of an impression of him making his presence felt except in a scrum or two. 

I didn't notice Jordan much at all in the third. I'm not going to read too much into this first performance, especially with two of our top guys out of the lineup in Tuch and Samuelson and also Stillman, forcing to play Bryson and Clague. There was a disjointed feel to this game. It started off well then the Oilers took over and it seemed as if the Sabres were never really in synch. Lot of missed chances.

The Wild fans say that although he has a lot of physical gifts, but he's lazy. We'll see. 

Must have missed this part:

The entire presser to me boiled down to a single word..

unleashed.  He used the word.  To me that indicated exactly what was happening to him in Minnesota.  I think he'll be given the leeway to play his game and I think that will fit with the Sabres.

As for not being around in the 3rd as much.  Shortening of the benches leads to that and you want the guys who click out there when you need a goal. I read nothing into it.

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, LTS said:

The entire presser to me boiled down to a single word..

unleashed.  He used the word.  To me that indicated exactly what was happening to him in Minnesota.  I think he'll be given the leeway to play his game and I think that will fit with the Sabres.

As for not being around in the 3rd as much.  Shortening of the benches leads to that and you want the guys who click out there when you need a goal. I read nothing into it.

This is the way.

Gold Medal Good Job GIF by StickerGiant

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.