Rob's vocab... Credit where credit is due

PASabreFan

UPL with the big save and the Bruin swoops in and sort of weakly fences the puck toward the net. Rob said he tried to "usher the puck" home.

Fantastic. Right this way, sir, watch your step... Easy now... Here's your seat and enjoy the show.

Not sure any great literary mind could have found a more perfect word to capture that particular shot.

Metaphorically well down. Of course moments later Rob had the official ushering Okposo to the penalty box!

Still, come on. The man has taken more grief for his not so goodly wordles. Credit where credit is due.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 3

I like the phrase but I don't think it's the first time I've heard Ray say it.

54 minutes ago, K-9 said:

“That’s luderous” and “that’s a tough road to swallow” are my favorite Rayzorisms. 

A tough road to swallow?  That happened?!

9 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

UPL with the big save and the Bruin swoops in and sort of weakly fences the puck toward the net. Rob said he tried to "usher the puck" home.

Fantastic. Right this way, sir, watch your step... Easy now... Here's your seat and enjoy the show.

Not sure any great literary mind could have found a more perfect word to capture that particular shot.

Metaphorically well down. Of course moments later Rob had the official ushering Okposo to the penalty box!

Still, come on. The man has taken more grief for his not so goodly wordles. Credit where credit is due.

Well done. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Contempt said:

I'd like to usher the entire broadcast crew to the unemployment line.

It's why I always watch the opposing teams broadcast...added bonus is that I get shot totals too on screen...novel concept for the Sabres I know...must cost someone a few hundred bucks to code it so they can't afford it.

Unfortunately when I am in the car I am forced to listen to the radio...and have no clue what the score is for long stretches of the time.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, matter2003 said:

It's why I always watch the opposing teams broadcast...added bonus is that I get shot totals too on screen...novel concept for the Sabres I know...must cost someone a few hundred bucks to code it so they can't afford it.

Unfortunately when I am in the car I am forced to listen to the radio...and have no clue what the score is for long stretches of the time.

That's my complaint. Do these guys know they are also on radio? RJ was the best for radio. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

No joke, I enjoyed the Spanish broadcast the other night way more than Dunleavy and that was with me only following three quarters of what was said

29 minutes ago, nucci said:

That's my complaint. Do these guys know they are also on radio? RJ was the best for radio. 

That’s just it; they are on radio but only do play by play for TV. Dunleavy can’t paint a picture to save his life so we have little idea about actual puck movement, aka GAME ACTION while listening to the radio. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I liked how Ray is willing to call out the refs for BS penalties, like the UPL tripping call that broke the damn last night.

44 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

60 games into the season and Rob still has no clue how to say "Samuelson". Never heard a name pronounced so many different ways. That's why I love the guy. 

I hear Sammyson.

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

I like the phrase but I don't think it's the first time I've heard Ray say it.

A tough road to swallow?  That happened?!

Sort of like May Day then.

47 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

I kind of hate both of them.  The terrible home ice camera work, the terrible sound quality, terrible arena, terrible announcing.  It needs an overhaul.

Dunleavy is definitely growing on me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • dislike 2

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

That’s just it; they are on radio but only do play by play for TV. Dunleavy can’t paint a picture to save his life so we have little idea about actual puck movement, aka GAME ACTION while listening to the radio. 

You aren't lying...but at least I got to learn about the intricacies of what Ray and one of the trainers talk about on the flights regarding the various types of Ketchup Chips and how some have much better coverage on the chip than others...SMFH.  Literally went on and on about it for like 5-6 minutes...

And for the record Herr has the best Ketchup Chips bar nobody.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, klos1963 said:

Amazing how someone so bad at his job can stay employed for so long.  He needs to shut up. Talking during the game action is not what color commentators are supposed to do. He needs to listen to old video of Dick Irvin on HNIC.

It happens on other teams broadcasts too.  

Ray's credentials as a broadcaster are:  he played in Buffalo a long time,  and he is a popular guy.  Sometimes he is funny too.  

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

It happens on other teams broadcasts too.  

Ray's credentials as a broadcaster are:  he played in Buffalo a long time,  and he is a popular guy.  Sometimes he is funny too.  

Agreed.  I have watched other teams' broadcasts, and although Ray is pretty bad, it seems to be pretty similar across the board.  Most teams' color guy is an ex-player and often a player that was a "goon" or a "grinder" in their playing days.  Not sure why this is the case, but it's true for at least a few teams.  Not a lot of English majors in the mix, or even guys who have communications degrees.  Just some ex-players.

1 minute ago, msw2112 said:

Agreed.  I have watched other teams' broadcasts, and although Ray is pretty bad, it seems to be pretty similar across the board.  Most teams' color guy is an ex-player and often a player that was a "goon" or a "grinder" in their playing days.  Not sure why this is the case, but it's true for at least a few teams.  Not a lot of English majors in the mix, or even guys who have communications degrees.  Just some ex-players.

and they all talk during the play. The way games are broadcast have changed. I watched the Tampa feed during our game last week. 3 guys and most of the game they were just talking . Hardly any play by play and what else happens is a goal is scored while they are talking. I watch most games with volume off now. It's annoying. I miss HNIC from the '70s. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

These guys need to keep working. The scorers made enough money to live at the Country Club.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.