Rob's vocab... Credit where credit is due

PASabreFan

41 minutes ago, Taro T said:

True, but in fairness to Dunleavy, listened to him a bit during the Aisles game and he was much better than he typically is for TV & Radio coverage games.  He painted a decent picture of the action and also didn't go off into the weeds of stuff unrelated to the play while the clock was actually counting down.

So, he can do an old style broadcast, but somebody he reports to doesn't want him to do that for TV is what seems to be the situation.

I’ll just leave it at this, in order to do good radio play by play and be of service to your listening audience, you have to be trained as a radio play by play guy and gain experience as a radio play by play guy by being a radio play by play guy. Especially in hockey, given the fast pace of the action.

Dunleavy has the same issues as anyone else in today’s TV sportscaster generation. He and his counterparts never came from the required radio background to do justice in that medium. And nobody will ever convince me otherwise. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

I’ll just leave it at this, in order to do good radio play by play and be of service to your listening audience, you have to be trained as a radio play by play guy and gain experience as a radio play by play guy by being a radio play by play guy. Especially in hockey, given the fast pace of the action.

Dunleavy has the same issues as anyone else in today’s TV sportscaster generation. He and his counterparts never came from the required radio background to do justice in that medium. And nobody will ever convince me otherwise. 

you never know when the opponent scores with Dunleavy. His call on Benn goal was" and Benn with the one timer" . If you were listening on radio you would have had no idea he scored. Ray talks too much during the play so it does not translate to radio

Just now, nucci said:

you never know when the opponent scores with Dunleavy. His call on Benn goal was" and Benn with the one timer" . If you were listening on radio you would have had no idea he scored. Ray talks too much during the play so it does not translate to radio

Last night you would have thought Skinner scored on the Greenway goal.

• Like (+1) 2

The chit chat during play is so curious to me. The core fans do NOT want to hear it. They are too into the game. Why would casual fans or new fans or viewers just peeking into the broadcast want to hear it? You know what lures me into a soccer game juuuust a wee bit? The announcers are so into it. I watch for a bit and can't get into it for about the 600th time in my life. But they had a shot at me. If they're not talking about the action, what does that tell me?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The chit chat during play is so curious to me. The core fans do NOT want to hear it. They are too into the game. Why would casual fans or new fans or viewers just peeking into the broadcast want to hear it? You know what lures me into a soccer game juuuust a wee bit? The announcers are so into it. I watch for a bit and can't get into it for about the 600th time in my life. But they had a shot at me. If they're not talking about the action, what does that tell me?

Hockey broadcasts have changed recently. I watch other teams broadcasts because I'm tired of Ray and Dunleavy but every team does this now. At least with Sabres there's still only 2 people. Other teams have 3-4 on broadcast and it's all talk and very little play by play. I have to watch most games on mute. The worst is a goal is scored while they are talking or when they play the delayed interview with the coach . I miss Ted and RJ

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.