Erik Portillo traded to the Kings for a 2023 3rd Round Pick

Brawndo

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It’s kind of interesting we dealt Gaustad at the deadline that year when IIRC we were still very much “in it”. 
E9F29ACF-FD8B-409C-A568-9329A86DA2CF.thumb.jpeg.a4340371ada155440bd6e2bbf9296bc2.jpeg

the “grey piping” on the sweaters era is sorta a no-man’s land era 

I think we dismantled the whole thing.

I remember starting to lose belief with the Campbell trade. It’s been 15 years so it’s foggy. But I just remember all this talk about the Sabres needing more production from their defense. Somebody who can move the puck, etc.

And just being like “The WTF did you trade Campbell”.

He was one of my favorites of that era. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think we dismantled the whole thing.

I remember starting to lose belief with the Campbell trade. It’s been 15 years so it’s foggy. But I just remember all this talk about the Sabres needing more production from their defense. Somebody who can move the puck, etc.

And just being like “The WTF did you trade Campbell”.

He was one of my favorites of that era. 

The spring of 2012 and a heroic charge to 9th. The Sabres got into 8th place with a win over the Caps with 5 games to go (knocking the Caps into 9th), then lost to PIT and @TOR to effectively end their season and miss the playoffs by 3 points. They've not gotten close to 89 points since then, but are on pace to surpass that this season.)

I saw Ville Leino score 2 goals in Vancouver just a few days after that Gaustad trade. Kassian scored 1G-1A against the Sabres after being swapped for Hodgson.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Don’t be so sure.

Well it's what needs to happen.  We need to improve the PK.  You're telling me an expiring Nick Bonino will cost more than a 5th.  Additionally, I'd still look for upgrades if they're out there. 

14 hours ago, msw2112 said:

The beauty of this deal is that Portillo could still play out his college career, become a UFA, and sign with the Sabres.  It's highly unlikely, but could happen.  In the meantime, let's get Levi signed as soon as the Northeastern season ends and hopefully the Euro goalie the Sabres drafted in the 2nd round last year develops into something (and UPL continues to develop at the NHL level).  Given that Portillo was highly unlikely to sign with the Sabres, this was a smart move by the team.  I'm a Michgan Wolverine, so I'm disappointed that one of my guys isn't going to join his former teammate Owen Power in Buffalo, but this is objectively a good move to get something for what would likely have amounted to nothing.

Makes me wonder why the Kings gave up a third for him. Do they have an inside angle on him or is this just a shot in the dark to try and convince him to sign with them? 

14 hours ago, Night Train said:

I saw him up close in drills at Summer prospects camp at Harborcenter. Big but gave up rebounds. Didn't see "it" at all. 

Levi was quick and far better. No loss. He knew he wasn't wanted anymore. 

I think people often get enamored with college free agents like Portillo, Petersen, etc.. I would have preferred to keep Portillo over the third round pick, but IMO the most likely scenario is that Portillo never becomes a consistent NHL contributor, a la Jimmy Vesey. I commend Adams for getting a third rounder for him. 

Edited by NAF
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

The spring of 2012 and a heroic charge to 9th. The Sabres got into 8th place with a win over the Caps with 5 games to go (knocking the Caps into 9th), then lost to PIT and @TOR to effectively end their season and miss the playoffs by 3 points. They've not gotten close to 89 points since then, but are on pace to surpass that this season.)

I saw Ville Leino score 2 goals in Vancouver just a few days after that Gaustad trade. Kassian scored 1G-1A against the Sabres after being swapped for Hodgson.

Except it wasn't a heroic charge to 9th, well it was, but 1st it was a horrible fall from 1st which was triggered from the events of the day that Miller got Lucic'd.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Not really.  It more like salvaging an asset before we lose it. 

Portillo did not want to play here. He said that back when we had Tokarski and Dell. 

Enjoy playing for the class organization that traded a team legend who was likely retiring after the season to the armpit of the league.

I have always hated the college draft rules. Especially now with the Entitled generation. Ok, so i am older and believe that you should play with whomever drafted you, but there are other entitled folks too throughout the NHL times that would not play with whomever drafted them. Either way, this rule should be changed.

• Eyeroll 1

17 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Wonder what we did to make him not want to sign here?

#1 is that is extremely intelligent. He stayed at University of Michigan because he was in Ross School of Business, started a now profitable business and probably had the intelligence to know Levi was better. Hockey players wanna play. Had nothing to do with Buffalo or the Sabres.

8 minutes ago, JKB1646 said:

#1 is that is extremely intelligent. He stayed at University of Michigan because he was in Ross School of Business, started a now profitable business and probably had the intelligence to know Levi was better. Hockey players wanna play. Had nothing to do with Buffalo or the Sabres.

Don't know what his business is, but odds are it's easier to run that business in LA than it is from Buffalo. In-person work in Buffalo would be a non-starter for a lot of people in the rest of the country.

• dislike 1

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Enjoy playing for the class organization that traded a team legend who was likely retiring after the season to the armpit of the league.

Well, sure, but Quick hasn't been good in ages. Good teams don't keep bad players just because the player helped them win 10 years ago: that's poor management. Instead, look at the Kings -- in 2nd place in their division, with a loaded farm system and an upward arrow. And no destined goalie of the future. Portillo's going from one potential bright future to another.

35 minutes ago, JKB1646 said:

He chose not to sign before he got into this business school and decided to get an MBA or whatever degree he is after.   Although I am sure he is bright young man, getting a business degree does not constitute extreme intelligence by any stretch.  

He just told the world that his agent told him not to sign in Buffalo.  So that is what he did.  

We spent a 3rd on him and we got a 3rd back - but he wasted our time and left a hole in the pipeline.   I wish the NHL would put a stop to this loop hole with the NCAA kids.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

He chose no to sign before he got into this business school and decided to get an MBA or whatever degree he is after.   Although I am sure he is bright young man, getting a business degree does not constitute extreme intelligence by any stretch.  

He just told the world that his agent told him not to sign in Buffalo.  So that is what he did.  

We spent a 3rd on him and we got a 3rd back - but he wasted our time and left a hole in the pipeline.   I wish the NHL would put a stop to this loop hole with the NCAA kids.  

Why do I get the impression that hockey just isn’t Portillo’s passion? It’s great that he has other interests and goals and I wish him luck in his pursuits, but hockey should burn in his soul and I just don’t think it does for some reason. Especially when I compare him to Levi in that regard because Devon Levi seems downright obsessed with becoming a great NHL goalie. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Makes me wonder why the Kings gave up a third for him. Do they have an inside angle on him or is this just a shot in the dark to try and convince him to sign with them? 

They have some additional leverage by acquiring his rights. Signing this season with the kings could burn a year off his ELC, whereas waiting to be a UFA would not.  

Kings offer the fastest track to a second, more lucrative contract.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.