Jake McCabe Traded to Toronto

Brawndo

9 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

A second round loss is likely a loss to Boston, meaning the Bruins move on.

You have to pick one or other, but from a Buffalo fan's point of view, is Boston that much better than Toronto?

Not really, but Boston has had recent success and doesn't have streaks like, "Haven't won a cup in 5x years" and "haven't won a playoff series in 19 years". I really want to see those continue, where Boston can win another if it has to be that way.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Wow.  A #1 and a #2 for McCabe and a bottom-6 forward?

That means Chycrun will be expensive.

A first in 25, a second in 26. Unless we are all wrong about the talent in the system, you are looking at guys who have a 25% chance of being useful in 4 to 5 years. Like I said ad nauseum, and I know others disagree, but people are putting too much value on picks. I encourage you all to read the comments of Tampa GM. Smart teams are recalibrating value of draft picks. Buffalo might be a year away from doing this but why not now when players like this aren’t rentals, are relatively cheap and are useful pieces when building your team.

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, SDS said:

Does it matter which round as long as it is as painful as possible?

I hope they grind out an inspiring 7 game win in the 1st round, the city of Toronto erupts in joyous celebration, then they get completely crushed and swept in the 2nd round.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, John Tucker said:

Is it me, or are the asking prices insane this year?  The return for Jeannot was even crazier than this deal

It’s because the players moved all have term remaining (even if pending RFA). This is not the traditional rental market. 

Edited by Porous Five Hole
  • Agree 1

Just now, Quint said:

I'd like to see the Leafs win their first round...then get swept in the second.

Maybe sometime in the 2100's.  Until then don't want to see them ever win another playoff series.  Getting to the 2nd round gives them too much of a likelihood of ending their streak of never making the SCF since the league expanded in '67.

1 hour ago, MattPie said:

Careful with these. We've long lambasted the Leafs on being all-offence, no-defence, but the current Sabres are 110% that if they make the playoffs. I don't see the Sabres getting out of first round with the tighter play either.

No time like the present to get the boys to do more checking, pinching, and hitting… Playoff hockey… We have time… They are fast learners… Did it in both Florida games against top teams… 

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Wow.  A #1 and a #2 for McCabe and a bottom-6 forward?

That means Chycrun will be expensive.

McCabe comes with two more years at 4M (and only 2M to Toronto's books).  Chychrun doesn't.

Edited by Eleven

2 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I guess the Leafs will get all kinds of picks and prospects at next year’s deadline when they have to sell Matthews or risk losing him for nothing.

That's not the craziest theory in the world, although I bet it'd happen in the off-season if Matthews tells the Leafs he has no interest in signing.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, MattPie said:

That's not the craziest theory in the world, although I bet it'd happen in the off-season if Matthews tells the Leafs he has no interest in signing.

This. If he flat out tells them he's not coming back during this summer --- they almost have to trade him over the summer for a boatload. Otherwise, even as a UFA, the only way they trade him is if they're clearly out of it come the 2024 trade deadline.

4 hours ago, Curt said:

I hope they grind out an inspiring 7 game win in the 1st round, the city of Toronto erupts in joyous celebration, then they get completely crushed and swept in the 2nd round.

Nah, I want them to crumble in the first round.  They deserve that.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.