Rumor: Ryan Johnson to sign with buffalo

Buffalonill

42 minutes ago, Mango said:

We surely need to beef up our lower pairings. But it seems like we have an abundance of good to serviceable left handed defensemen and we’re in desperate need of a couple of righties. 

Maybe, but the right left thing is also maybe overrated. Dahlin with Samuelsson makes the right/left balance adequate for now. Ultimately I'd like a right handed Samuelsson type (or tougher still) but really, we just need more D prospects period. 

• Like (+1) 1

I said this in a prior post that even if he became a free agent and explored all his options, he would likely conclude that Buffalo would be the best situation for him. This team needs lower pairing players and there is a dearth of blue line players in the system. So, if he is looking for a situation where he could play as soon as possible, it would be here. I'm not going to jump to conclusions from the rumor mill but joining this organization would be a good situation for him. If the comparison to Joki is a good comparison, then I would be very happy having him here. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

Expect he'll probably sign.  Also expect he'll get some action this year and look good supplanting Bryson / Clague but expect that will be the 1st chance in the NHL sugar high.

Expect you're right that he's in Ra-cha-cha next year with a callup at some point.

Asked another way, would Bryson offer more to us next year than Johnson? Bryson, while he does have NHL experience, is more of an AHL player. 

9 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Asked another way, would Bryson offer more to us next year than Johnson? Bryson, while he does have NHL experience, is more of an AHL player. 

Bryson is the first guy I want to see leave. I would prefer bringing in a McCabe type to replace him, maybe Johnson can do it.

I've watched BTN games ,with Michigan and Minny on all the time the last several years. Johnson shouldn't cost much to start and compete. God knows we need 2-3 more guys who can play better D.  Has speed, I'll say that.

I thought he may be taking a pass on the Sabres to be honest. He has to know a spot is open for him now. 

44 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Wuld expect the Sabres to bring in another D man this trade deadline or off-season who repaces Bryson in the top 6 and ideally pushes Jokiharju to third pairing.  Expect Johnson gets some action this year as that will be the carrot to get him to sign.

Expect Bryson ends up the 7 next year and Johnson finds himself in Ra-cha-cha initially, but would expect Johnson to get called up after an injury sometime after Christmas but before the AS break.

9 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Which many (most?) would not have seen.

Not sure why you posted this.

Which is unnecessarily venomous.

Not sure why you posted this.

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Think McCabe or Chris Butler.

Somewhere in between would be good.  The more McCabesque, the better.

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

FWIW, which isn't much, I have generally thought of him as a hopefully better Mark Pysyk.

But perhaps better than what we have in the bottom pairings.  I agree that the situation in Buffalo is best for his shot at regular playing time soon and the opportunity to burn the year of his ELC and get to his 2nd contract a year sooner would be attractive.  Also, he has familiarity with the organization and may like what he sees.  Most of the other young guys really like being a part of what's happening.  He could also solicit input from Owen Power, a fellow (former) Big 10 defenseman (and Johnson opponent) who recently came to the Sabres and could offer some valuable insights.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Darren Dreger mentioned the expectation is that Johnson will sign with the Sabres when Minnesota’s Season is done 

He was one of the prospects that Adams mentioned on Tuesday.  Of course, he ended the comment with a statement of "it's his decision" whether to sign with the Sabres or not.

Expecting that yes he will sign.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Johnson is an exceptional skater. He uses his skating, positioning and smarts to play a smart defensive game and move the puck. He can hold his own in the offensive zone but is not an offensive dynamo. He is not a banger. He is just a solid all around defencemen who isn’t flashy, won’t stand out but will have a long, solid career as a number 4 to 6. He will be a good signing and should play with Dahlin, Muel and Power for a long time.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.