Rumor: Ryan Johnson to sign with buffalo

Buffalonill

So much of the talk around him was whether he would become a free agent or not...and very little about how good he actually was becoming.....that I have NO IDEA at all how good he is.

He is a late first rounder. Great. That was a few years ago. How has he progressed or regressed, If he does sign does he help this team now (is he better than someone like Bryson who has less talent but more experience)?  What is he likely to be in a couple years from now?  I have zero idea.

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

He is more defensive minded, very good at getting the puck out of his own zone. Does not get much PP Time, which will continue in Buffalo 

If that is true and while in the NHL he has those qualities, that is exactly what the Sabres need. Get the puck in your own zone, Get it out of the zone with a good pass.  Let your talented/high draft pick forwards or Dahlin/Power take it from there.

As I have posted in many other threads just in the past day or so...this current Sabres team allows goals not by lack of effort (well sometimes but not usually) but by lack of positioning and communication and general breakdowns in their own zone or in transistion.  A D-man who is sound Defensiviely and has enough ability to get the puck out of the zone is the exact thing, the EXACT thing this team needs.

Only problem is they can really use it now, today,...not 2-3 years from now.

• Like (+1) 1

He's a plus skater, not overtly physical, makes good decisions, good first pass, flashes offensively on occasion.

His ceiling is a left-handed Henri Jokiharju, similar stature and style.

That said, I'm not convinced he's going to sign.   If he does, he'll most likely begin his pro career in Roch, with perhaps a late season call-up.  

5 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

He's a plus skater, not overtly physical, makes good decisions, good first pass, flashes offensively on occasion.

His ceiling is a left-handed Henri Jokiharju, similar stature and style.

That said, I'm not convinced he's going to sign.   If he does, he'll most likely begin his pro career in Roch, with perhaps a late season call-up.  

Expect he'll probably sign.  Also expect he'll get some action this year and look good supplanting Bryson / Clague but expect that will be the 1st chance in the NHL sugar high.

Expect you're right that he's in Ra-cha-cha next year with a callup at some point.

we receive last pick of second round if he does not sign i believe. Is that right? he is a ceiling of 5/6th dman. does nothing great. has not progressed as hoped. Would not be drafted in first round if he was in draft this year. Prob not 2nd round

He will need at least a year in Rochester before he could contribute.

I think @pi2000was close with a left handed Jokiharju.

That is an upgrade over Bryson and Clague.

I think he skates very well and understands the defensive part of the game. After four years of NCAA hockey he may not need much time in the AHL before he is ready to help.

I believe Buffalo is the only team that can burn a year off of his ELC so that is an option to get him to sign. His ceiling is not top pairing D so he shouldn’t break the bank on his next contract.

• Agree 1
  • dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.