Owen Power - Calder, Norris???

steveoath

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Matt Beniers will win the Calder but Power should be in consideration. Unfortunately because points are the first thing voters look at, Power won't be winning. 

As for the Norris, Power will win a Norris at some point. 

The question is how many Norris trophies will Dahlin win before Power wins one?

• Like (+1) 1

Just a reminder that Tyler Meyers won the Calder and look how that panned out. Its takes time for defensemen to reach superstar status so lets not let analytics skew our sensibilities. Donny gives him lots of rope where as with some coaches he might be at the end of the bench with the mistakes I've seen him make. Give me the slow and steady growth of a Hedman anyday.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Matt Beniers will win the Calder but Power should be in consideration. Unfortunately because points are the first thing voters look at, Power won't be winning. 

Agree on the Beniers. All-star voting showed us all we needed to see there. 

Don’t know how Power will win a Norris with Dahlin on the team. He’ll always be in his shadow unless Dahlin’s wheels fall off somehow. And Dahlin is still improving. 

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I’m not sure about that.  In Buffalo, assuming Dahlin signs a longterm extension, he may remain second fiddle on the PP which could limit is point production sadly limiting his Norris contention.  

1 hour ago, steveoath said:

This Power kid is having himself a quietly good season...

Screenshot_20230220_185326_Instagram.jpg

Who’s tweet is this? Probably soaked in irony given Dahlin’s rookie season was better and the author probably among those who lambasted him a couple years later 

44 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Do you think he gets a nomination? 

2 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

A defensemen playing this well in 2nd pair usage and in all situations and in unsheltered usage is remarkable, let alone a rookie.

There are likely several teams out there right now in which Owen Power would be the number one defensemen.

And until the last 2 games, except for that short stint he was paired with Dahlin during the 8 game losing streak, he has always been the better player on his pairing.  Talk about unsheltered usage.  Nearly certain he's been Clague's most frequent partner.

46 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Who’s tweet is this? Probably soaked in irony given Dahlin’s rookie season was better and the author probably among those who lambasted him a couple years later 

He should finish 2, expect he'll finish 3.

51 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Whose tweet? I'm not sure tbh, I clipped it from Instagram and can't find it again. Sorry.

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Two or less said:

I do think Beniers will win, but i think it'll be closer then people think. Elliott Friedman has been banging this drum for like 6 weeks now that Owen needs to be in the conversation. If Elliott is saying it outloud there must be others out there who also see it his way.

For whatever it is worth (likely not much) on the NHL Network midseason awards discussion, they had Power as a Calder finalist and Dahlin as the Norris winner.

Those 2 takes were repeated in the ASG Program book.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Yes. If continues to get goals and assist down the stretch he will. If Buffalo makes the playoffs, he has to.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, kas23 said:

Don’t know how Power will win a Norris with Dahlin on the team. He’ll always be in his shadow unless Dahlin’s wheels fall off somehow. And Dahlin is still improving. 

You don't know what Power's ceiling is.  It could be higher than Dahlin's.

To put it another way if I told you Cozens would outscore Thompson at some point, would you be surprised?

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

First thought that came to me was,  hmmm this sounds awfully familiar.

Power and Dahlin are so stylistically different.  Dahlin is much flashier and that will get the Norris votes.  Im not sure I see how Power gets the powerplay time on the first unit to get the points needed for Norris consideration, unless the powerplay is reconfigured and the both play on the 1st unit.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

Power and Dahlin are so stylistically different.  Dahlin is much flashier and that will get the Norris votes.  Im not sure I see how Power gets the powerplay time on the first unit to get the points needed for Norris consideration, unless the powerplay is reconfigured and the both play on the 1st unit.

Ya, if Dahlin is the guy getting more points he’s almost always going to be the guy getting more votes. 

regardless, the thought of 2/3 on the ballot being Sabres is wild intriguing 

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

There is a good chance that Beniers will win the Calder trophy. Even if he does (credit to him) the selection of Power was the right pick for the Sabres. In his rookie season he has established himself as an anchor player for this team. Without him there is a major void on the blueline. What's impressive about him is that although a rookie he plays with a great deal of intelligence and maturity. That's impressive for such a young blueliner. What's even more of a pleasant surprise is that you can see the offensive potential that he already is displaying. In another couple to three years he is going to be one of the top defenders in the league. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Weave said:

If he continues to demonstrate soft hands Power might prove to be a great 6'-6" net-front guy.

Edited by Doohickie

@Sabres Fan in NS

Going from left to right, GF/60: Team goals for  per 60 minutes Power is on the ice. XGF/69: Team’s expected goals scored per 60 minutes Power is  on the ice. CF/60: shots for per 60 minutes Power is on the ice. XGA/60: expected goals against per 60 while Power is on the ice. CA/60: shots against per 60 minutes while Power is in the ice. Note, all of this is at even strength. 

On the right, the numbers are z scores for standard deviations of the league. A z score of 0 is average for NHL defenseman in each category. A z score of 1 is better than 84.1% of defensemen, a 2 is better than 99.7% of defensemen, and a 3 is in the top 99.9% (for negative z scores, the inverse is true) 

This chart implies that Power is top 2/3 in Gf/60, nearly as high in xGF/60, and the team generates a high amount of shots when he is on the ice. There are less shots against than average when he is on the ice, but the quality of the shots appear to be high, as there is a much higher than average xGA/60

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.