Owen Power - Calder, Norris???

steveoath

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Beniers has cooled off a lot lately so it's possible that Power could be in the running for the Calder still. Having said that, the league generally favours scoring forwards in this thing. 

I don't regret drafting him over Beniers either. They BOTH will be NHL stars, just different. 

Can you imagine how bad our D would be if we hadn't drafted him?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Can you imagine how bad our D would be if we hadn't drafted him?

Oh absolutely. Our D has been a problem for a long time and is only now starting to look half decent(thanks mostly to JBot actually, but also adding Power). I think we need more D prospects in the system but we certainly have some pillars already on the roster.

The weakest spot (besides the goalie issue) is obviously 3C though and if we'd drafted Beniers C would be a strength and we'd be going on about how we need another D. If we'd done that, then trading for Chychrun might be even more desirable and/or necessary. 

31 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

So Power is doing what we were told it was impossible for Dahlin to do at such a tender age?

That's pretty good.

It would be funny if all the predictions of Dahlin being a perennial Norris winner were foiled by Power all your Norris are belong to him.

What's it like constantly needing to crap on Dahlin because you were wrong about him?

Dahlin at 18: 44pts in 82 games on the top pair of a bad team and finished 2nd in Calder votes to 25yr old Jordan Binnington 

Power at 20: 31pts in 79 games and not playing on the top pair, on a better team, 2 years older. 

But hey, I get it. We live in a country where being loud and sticking to your guns is better than being objectively right. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Doohickie said:

And in the Sabres case, the forward group is coming together nicely.  Can you imagine if we had yet another forward, but one less stud defenseman?  Ugh.

Would be looking to swing a trade. That’s why they say BPA, right? Beniers is NOT better or significantly better imo cause as people are saying points aren’t everything, but if he WAS, we would have had to take him, right? thats the core principle of bpa 

theoretically we’d trust our GM to make a prospect trade if necessary. That’s the theory of bpa, anyways, which I always find interesting. Personally I think teams factor in position more than they say, regardless of what they say, due to the potential difficulty of finding deals 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

So Power is doing what we were told it was impossible for Dahlin to do at such a tender age?

That's pretty good.

It would be funny if all the predictions of Dahlin being a perennial Norris winner were foiled by Power all your Norris are belong to him.

Damn too bad, shoulda gone the other way: that charts indicating Power is as good as Karlsson right now indicate there’s a problem with the charts 

14 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Personally I think teams factor in position more than they say, regardless of what they say, due to the potential difficulty of finding deals 

I think BPA fades quickly after the first 5 picks or so, and by the later rounds for sure.  Part of that is that the consensus BPA gets fuzzier as you move down the prospect list.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

What's it like constantly needing to crap on Dahlin because you were wrong about him?

Dahlin at 18: 44pts in 82 games on the top pair of a bad team and finished 2nd in Calder votes to 25yr old Jordan Binnington 

Power at 20: 31pts in 79 games and not playing on the top pair, on a better team, 2 years older. 

But hey, I get it. We live in a country where being loud and sticking to your guns is better than being objectively right. 

I wasn't wrong about him then. He sucked. You were wrong. Call it like it is. That's what you do. Usually. But you had too much invested in his YT videos from Sweden.

18 minutes ago, nucci said:

I know I'm old but what ever happened to normal stats? These mean nothing to me. Prefer to watch him play....having said that, I think he's going to be a great player. But I get that by watching, not analytics

You probably understand the game.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Doohickie said:

And in the Sabres case, the forward group is coming together nicely.  Can you imagine if we had yet another forward, but one less stud defenseman?  Ugh.

That draft was before the Eichel trade though.  I would hope that if they drafted Beniers, then they would have tried to target defensive help in an Eichel trade.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Would be looking to swing a trade. That’s why they say BPA, right? Beniers is NOT better or significantly better imo cause as people are saying points aren’t everything, but if he WAS, we would have had to take him, right? thats the core principle of bpa 

theoretically we’d trust our GM to make a prospect trade if necessary. That’s the theory of bpa, anyways, which I always find interesting. Personally I think teams factor in position more than they say, regardless of what they say, due to the potential difficulty of finding deals 

Personally I think fans factor in pre-draft rankings way more than they should and somehow convince themselves a guy ranked 10th is obviously and demonstrably better than a guy ranked 20th.

Ask 10 Sabrespacers to rank McKee, Campbell, Tallinder, Pominville, Briere, Drury, Connolly, Reinhart, O’Reilly and Skinner and you will get 10 different lists and I doubt many of them would be “wrong.”

It’s not that GMs reach for a position, it’s that the players are so close, position and type of player is frequently used as a tiebreaker.

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

The only team that wasn’t considering position was Buffalo until this draft.  Otherwise how do you explain drafting nearly all forwards early in the draft.  That changed when they reached for the goalie in the second.  

Outside of Power, KA has yet to draft a D before the 4th round.  Is it any wonder we don’t have any significant D prospects in Rochester?

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The only team that wasn’t considering position was Buffalo until this draft.  Otherwise how do you explain drafting nearly all forwards early in the draft.  That changed when they reached for the goalie in the second.  

Outside of Power, KA has yet to draft a D before the 4th round.  Is it any wonder we don’t have any significant D prospects in Rochester?

No wonder at all, since they’ve invested two 1st overall picks and 2 top 32 picks in the past 5 years on defencemen, more high picks over that span than any team in the league save one. (And also traded to add another former 1st rounder)

This “stop ignoring the defence” thing is one of the worst memes on Sabrespace. 

The reason there are no defencemen in Rochester is that all our recent picks are already in the NHL.

This complaint is basically saying the Sabres have taken too many Rouseks and Weissbach when they should have been taking more Laaksonen’s. If that’s what’s important, 🤷

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

I wasn't wrong about him then. He sucked. You were wrong. Call it like it is. That's what you do. Usually. But you had too much invested in his YT videos from Sweden.

You probably understand the game.

Lol twist facts more. Rasmus Dahlin in his rookie season was fantastic. 

I aint backing down from this one. Rasmus Dahlin is only behind Phil Housley for most points by a Sabres defender under 19. He actually was amazing his first year and then got Kruegered and since you want me to spit some facts, one of the first indicators that Krueger was a horseshit coach was the fact Dahlin started his first year right where he left off and then regressed and regressed more. It took Granato another half a season to fix him in which many posters, including I bet you, were all about how much of a crappy defender he was and even suggested he was a bust. Y'all were wrong, just say it. You were wrong and you are now are so angry about that you have to crap all over Rasmus for no reason whenever you get a chance. The 2nd leading scoring on defense in the entire NHL is pretty freaking good and was as a rookie. 

You were wrong then and you are now. Deal with it. 

I Choose Violence GIF

Fine. I hate his ***** face. And he's dumb. He'll likely go down as one of my least favorite Sabres. Up there with Korab, Ray and Miller.

#setfree

You started this game.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

I know I'm old but what ever happened to normal stats? These mean nothing to me. Prefer to watch him play....having said that, I think he's going to be a great player. But I get that by watching, not analytics

And if you watch 2023 Owen Power and 2018 Rasmus Dahlin you will see that 2018 Dahlin was quite good. What has happened is time makes it harder to remember because all that gets remembered is the god awful Krueger years in 2019 and 2020. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

No wonder at all, since they’ve invested two 1st overall picks and 2 top 32 picks in the past 5 years on defencemen, more high picks over that span than any team in the league save one. (And also traded to add another former 1st rounder)

This “stop ignoring the defence” thing is one of the worst memes on Sabrespace. 

The reason there are no defencemen in Rochester is that all our recent picks are already in the NHL.

This complaint is basically saying the Sabres have taken too many Rouseks and Weissbach when they should have been taking more Laaksonen’s. If that’s what’s important, 🤷

Not only that, but with that pick of Power, the team has the top 3 locked up LT and a 5 and potential 4 already on the roster and the oldest is 24.  With possilby a 5th LT piece showing up in April.  They also have a highly ranked guy in Russia right now.  Yeah, prospect depth is thin and will likely get increased this draft.  They also will almost certainly bring in 1 or 2 FAs to supplant the bottom 3.

They had no sure fire top line F'S 2 drafts ago and only Skinner was a definite top 6 guy.  They also need twice as many Fs  as  they need D.  They should have better F depth.

that said, will be disappointed if 2 of the top 4 picks aren't D.

Edited by Taro T
Better F depth, not better D depth (in general, because they need more F's)
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Personally I think fans factor in pre-draft rankings way more than they should and somehow convince themselves a guy ranked 10th is obviously and demonstrably better than a guy ranked 20th.

Ask 10 Sabrespacers to rank McKee, Campbell, Tallinder, Pominville, Briere, Drury, Connolly, Reinhart, O’Reilly and Skinner and you will get 10 different lists and I doubt many of them would be “wrong.”

It’s not that GMs reach for a position, it’s that the players are so close, position and type of player is frequently used as a tiebreaker.

This isn’t what I’m talking about though. I already said I think GMs factor in position pretty early ie sooner allow for it to be the deciding factor 

Im talking about the frequent refrain you see that we/teams must select the guy with the most talent, full stop, calls for “BPA!” and then the contrasting “what would we ever do though if we had a great F in Beniers! Could you imagine?”

I mean ya, I can imagine. Can you not plausibly have seen Adams himself identify Beniers as the best player there? Would we have been doomed if we did? If you tout BPA, presumably that person would be ok with the situation where we’d need to swing a deal. You’d have to think those situations would arise under the strategy 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.