The New Devon Levi 2023 Thread

Eleven

13 minutes ago, Eleven said:

No 1983 All-Star team.  No 2023 U of M.  Just stuff about Levi, how he's doing, whether he'll sign, how he'll fit in the plan, etc.

And another thing....😀

There are are certain athletes in sports that just look different. That just pop when you watch them play. Levi is one of them. He just looks special. His combination of skating ability, tracking, concentration and positioning and quickness make him stand out among his peers. It still sticks in my craw that the Olympic team didn’t give him the net for a game. He has the pedigree, ability and attitude to be special.

I think he signs this season.

My worry is if he plays in Rochester next year while the Sabres go with UPL and Comrie and it doesn’t improve that there will be a ton of pressure to call him up prematurely. He is not a kid who rushes through anything with his career. 

• Like (+1) 2

Nope.

I don’t even know how this is possible in 2023 after years of begging for people to stop doing this. Topics come up. You talk about them. Then people stop talking about them and they fade into the archives.

When something new comes up, a new topic is made and the conversation changes. In no way should people this summer be forced to wade through 37 pages of discussing of whatever in the winter of 2023. 

If there’s something specific you want to talk about, then by all means please start a new topic. All about Levi the goalie is not a topic.

Regarding his potential stint in Rochester next season, if he stands on his head early and dominates at that level, he may force the Sabres’ hand to call him up. I get the concern about rushed development, but I don’t think it’s a hard and fast rule. If a kid is ready, he’s ready. If a prospect struggles and his confidence is forever crushed as a result, then I submit he doesn’t have the right stuff to begin with. You’d want the kid to be informed by his struggles and more determined than ever to make it.

15 minutes ago, SDS said:

Nope.

I don’t even know how this is possible in 2023 after years of begging for people to stop doing this. Topics come up. You talk about them. Then people stop talking about them and they fade into the archives.

When something new comes up, a new topic is made and the conversation changes. In no way should people this summer be forced to wade through 37 pages of discussing of whatever in the winter of 2023. 

If there’s something specific you want to talk about, then by all means please start a new topic. All about Levi the goalie is not a topic.

SDS, we had a good Levi thread going and it got misdirected and then closed.  If there's another way to do this, please let me know, and I'll try it that way, but I think we could have a thread about the most exciting goalie prospect in decades.  There is the "Get to Know Devon Levi" thread that I started right after the Reinhart trade, but I think that's stale.

31 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

My worry is if he plays in Rochester next year while the Sabres go with UPL and Comrie and it doesn’t improve that there will be a ton of pressure to call him up prematurely. He is not a kid who rushes through anything with his career. 

As I've said in multiple threads, when he's ready, he's ready.  If he can stop NHL shots, he's ready; if he can't, he's not.  His age / experience should not be part of that calculation.  We've all seen rookies excel, some of whom are on this current Sabres roster, and we've all seen rookies who need more time to develop, some of whom also are on this current Sabres roster.

Edited by Eleven
  • Thanks (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, SDS said:

Nope.

I think you are way off base with this one, no harm with a Levi topic. This isn't on the list of things that need cleaned up around here imo. 

48 minutes ago, Eleven said:

SDS, we had a good Levi thread going and it got misdirected and then closed.  If there's another way to do this, please let me know, and I'll try it that way, but I think we could have a thread about the most exciting goalie prospect in decades.  There is the "Get to Know Devon Levi" thread that I started right after the Reinhart trade, but I think that's stale.

Remove the non-thread topic posts.

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don't have that ability, and that is not what @SDS is speaking to.

Maybe SDS wants a specific topic about Levi such as "How long until Devon is the starter in Buffalo."

Personally, I don't mind a general thread, sort of like the Bills thread, that discusses Devon's games and his progress.  He is the best goalie prospect we've had since Ryan Miller.  It's also remarkable how similar their stats are for their careers.  

When Miller won the Hobey in 2001 his stat line was 40 gp 31w 1.32 gaa and a .950 save %.  The following year his stats were excellent but not quite as good 40gp 26w 1.77gaa and a .936 save %

Compare is Levi who won the Ritcher Award for best college goalie 32 gp 21w 1.54 gaa and a .952 save%.  This year he is excellent again but not quite as good with 28 gp 14w 2.32 gaa and a .930 save %.  

It's really amazing how their save % are nearly identical. 

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

No 1983 All-Star team.  No 2023 U of M.  Just stuff about Levi, how he's doing, whether he'll sign, how he'll fit in the plan, etc.

Levi would definitely be the best goalie of 1984

21 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Somehow, the Levi thread returned 

Animated GIF

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Curt said:

Is this the place where @inkmanand I can go all about gorgeous Levi’s hip measurements?

40” hips!  Meooow!

My hip shake brings all the boys to the yard 

damn right 

it’s betta than yours 

I can teach ya (how to make saves) 

..but I’d have to charge 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

If there's another way to do this, please let me know, and I'll try it that way

It's a question of board philosophy and admin preference.  I'm on another forum that, if an off-topic conversation wedges its way into a thread, a mod will split the thread and put all the posts that are off topic into a new thread with an appropriate name.  That's just not in this forum's DNA, and this forum has been around a long time.  It just is.

I think the question for me is how good can Levi be as opposed to will he be good. Basically any goalie that good post a stable .905% would be good for this team but can he be more than that and how long should we wait? I would assume next year he is AHL bound with maybe a start or two in the NHL but what if he is the best goalie in camp? 

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I think the question for me is how good can Levi be as opposed to will he be good. Basically any goalie that good post a stable .905% would be good for this team but can he be more than that and how long should we wait? I would assume next year he is AHL bound with maybe a start or two in the NHL but what if he is the best goalie in camp? 

Agree on the lead-off question. 

As for the question about camp...I’m not certain but, we’ve all heard Adams frequently talk up the idea that he doesn’t want to “block” any of the kids. I can only imagine that means he wants a clear pathway for any young player who shows themselves to be ready and deserving of a larger role, to the extent they can step in almost right away, once they’ve shown that to be the case. Otherwise, why be so sure to avoid “blocks” if you can just take your time moving them 

I think if Levi looks ready, he starts. If he’s playing the best, he starts. Pretty sure we know what we have with the rest. Get Levi going b/c if he’s as special as they say maybe we have our goalie and if he’s not, we can sooner get on finding a replacement / PLAN B / legit goalie until he shows he IS able, in a quick time frame: the time line the group deserves 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.