The New Devon Levi 2023 Thread

Eleven

Did 6K have a couple surgeries recently? I think I remember reading that but not sure. If he did, maybe it took awhile to work out the kinks? He had a rough start when called up, but I think he's been decent the last few months. I really think part of his numbers/stats is a result of the style of play the team plays. 

3 hours ago, Night Train said:

The Goalie need crew here. I get it to a point. UPL is still raw and Cromrie is just getting healthy. No arguments. 

Yet, do you think Hasek or Miller in their prime would have a high save % and glowing GA average with this team ? Good God. They think getting back on D is for other teams all too often. Get caught constantly pinching deep and never have I seen our Goalie facing this many 2 on 1 breaks or flat out breakaways. Never clear traffic in front of the net. Opponents always stand in the crease with zero fear of being moved out. Soft in the corners and losing key faceoffs in their own end. 

A lot of it is youth and I get that.  Still bullish going forward but this team has to help their own goalie.  Lots of factors for those flashy goalie stats we all can produce in 15 seconds with a few clicks. 

Yes, Hasek would have a great sv% with this team 

are you joking? 

• Thanks (+1) 3

I think all goalies make critical saves, I'm just not convinced upl is making a bunch more than our other goalies. 

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

What exactly are you arguing here? That the only adequate goalie is one who allows zero goals? Has a .999 save %? I think you are clinging so hard to this narrative, you're ignoring what most NHL goaltending is. 

I think you're claiming something that doesn't make sense, ie Upl is why we're winning. 

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No those are results. You win or you lose. And if you watch the games you can tell how many critical saves are made.

When you say "critical", do you mean late in the game? Or do you mean against a breakaway or odd man rush?

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Were you in a coma when Lehner and Hutton were here?

Go look at how many goals per game we scored then, then come back. Wins are not a good way to judge goalies.

1 minute ago, Hank said:

When you say "critical", do you mean late in the game? Or do you mean against a breakaway or odd man rush?

I'd like to hear that answer too.

Just now, Hank said:

A save on a high-danger scoring chance, often time coming after a defensive blunder or turnover. This includes saves late in games to preserve a lead.

Here's a recent example though it came at the end of the 1st.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

A save on a high-danger scoring chance, often time coming after a defensive blunder or turnover. This includes saves late in games to preserve a lead.

Here's a recent example though it came at the end of the 1st.

IMO our style of play leads to more of these than average and I think 6K does a good job here, on that we agree. 

4 minutes ago, Hank said:

IMO our style of play leads to more of these than average and I think 6K does a good job here, on that we agree. 

The Sharks gave was a great example of UPL bailing out the Sabres. Yes, eventually the Sharks scored two thanks to the Sabres chasing their tails in their own end. But UPL shut the door the rest of the way until the Sabres got the winner.  Which is, by the way, how 70-80% of NHL games go. Other teams are good, other teams can and do score goals. There is no goalkeeper that meets whatever @LGR4GM's goaltending standard in the NHL right now.

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Was there a reason why you limited your range to his last 4 starts? Hmmm? Let's see how he's done the full season...

https://www.nhl.com/player/ukko-pekka-luukkonen-8480045?stats=gamelogs-r-nhl&season=20222023

Oooooh, lookee!  14-7. Why that isn't bad at all, is it? I'm sure you weren't trying to spin an argument here.

Yes, because as stated, the timing of your 'he just wins' tangent away from the subject of the thread seemed strange.

54 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yes, because as stated, the timing of your 'he just wins' tangent away from the subject of the thread seemed strange.

So you ignored his entire body of work and focused on the last 4 games that bolstered your take. Gotcha.

55 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You're just deflecting by saying that. It's lazy.

If it makes you feel better to think that...

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So you ignored his entire body of work and focused on the last 4 games that bolstered your take. Gotcha.

No.  Have stated it plainly twice but it does not seem to be getting through.  Am quite likely done with this discussion.

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What makes me feel better is knowing where upl ranks in hdsv% as opposed to using wins as a measuring stick. 

29 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And that's fine for you. Meanwhile I'm just going to watch the games and enjoy them.

This is another deflection. You say he's better at saving HD chances and I say, I know where he sits in that category. You come back with "I'm just going to watch the games and enjoy them" implying I'm not. 

Wins aren't a goalie stat, they are team stat.

I've thoroughly enjoyed this season. 

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This is another deflection. You say he's better at saving HD chances and I say, I know where he sits in that category. You come back with "I'm just going to watch the games and enjoy them" implying I'm not. 

Wins aren't a goalie stat, they are team stat.

I've thoroughly enjoyed this season. 

They have exceeded my expectations going into the year, I am very happy with the team. 

It’s crazy that Levi is sitting at a 2.24 gaa and a .933 sv% and both numbers are way off last year. He is really getting back into last year’s zone and Northeastern are rising in the rankings. 

Does winning the BeanPot get them into the tournament? I think they get in at this point with the run Levi is on anyway.

Man if things trend the way they are then the Reinhart for Levi and Kulich Trade will look very good for Buffalo.

2 hours ago, Hank said:

Did 6K have a couple surgeries recently? I think I remember reading that but not sure. If he did, maybe it took awhile to work out the kinks? He had a rough start when called up, but I think he's been decent the last few months. I really think part of his numbers/stats is a result of the style of play the team plays. 

UPL had a big double hip surgery that it took him some time to come back from, but it was 4 years ago now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.