The New Devon Levi 2023 Thread

Eleven

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

You make a keen observation about Miller not only as a player but also as a person. He is thoughtful and cerebral to an extreme point. He's the type of guy that when interviewing you have to be careful with your words because he is going to thoroughly parse your words and cogitate before rendering a response. If you are looking for a post-game robotic cliche riddled comments at the podium, you don't want him to be standing at the podium. He's a unique and thoughtful fellow. If you are in a hurry he will drive you crazy. 

Cogitate. Nice.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Cogitate. Nice.

The Jesuits beat the freaking vocabulary into me! I remember one English teacher yelling at me: Don't tell me what you think it says, tell me what the words on the page say. Then he preceded to beat with a thick stick to imprint the point on my stupid arse! That is corporal punishment in the pursuit of edification. 🤡

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The Jesuits beat the freaking vocabulary into me! I remember one English teacher yelling at me: Don't tell me what you think it says, tell me what the words on the page say. Then he preceded to beat with a thick stick to imprint the point on my stupid arse! That is corporal punishment in the pursuit of edification. 🤡

Preceded?  Proceeded perhaps?  ;)

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you went to school in Buffalo, I think I can name the teacher.

Anyway.  It's possible that Levi's college season goes until April 8.  Until someone eliminates Northeastern, I'm not making plans for him.

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Another classic Jesuit teacher classic was the sudden, firm, upward pull of the sideburn. 

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Anyway.  It's possible that Levi's college season goes until April 8.  Until someone eliminates Northeastern, I'm not making plans for him.

They’re back on the outside looking in. The rankings are very volatile right around the bubble. 

Saw the beginning of the UMass game Friday night. The first goal Levi 'gave up' was on a 2-on-1 clean breakaway seemingly from the opposite blue line. And the '1' on that 2 on 1 was completely worthless, not impacting either onrushing player. Clean cross ice pass and a gimme into the open net. Didn't see the other two.

NU gives up a LOT of shots. They're pretty bad in front of Levi. 

6 hours ago, Eleven said:

I did go to school in Buffalo. There were more than a few who believed in corporal punishment. I'm not sure how many priests are teaching in the classroom today. Sad to say that there were some recent ugly accusations about some of them. The Lord will be the ultimate judge. 

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

Sad to say that there were some recent ugly accusations about some of them.

I don't think the accusations concern where we went to school--at least none that I have seen.  I'm going to send you a PM with a guess as to the teacher, though.

EDIT (for the audience):  I was correct.

Edited by Eleven

On 2/26/2023 at 9:26 AM, JohnC said:

And you are a better man for it!

I will bet you did not go home and tell your parents either.  

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

And you are a better man for it!

I will bet you did not go home and tell your parents either.  

I wouldn't dare. My father who immigrated from Italy was stern about education and respecting teachers. In grammar school he would regularly go to meet with the teachers and tell them to hit me. When they asked him why because I was a good student and behaved. His response was that you haven't caught him yet, so whack him just in case. 👨‍🎓

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I wouldn't dare. My father who immigrated from Italy was stern about education and respecting teachers. In grammar school he would regularly go to meet with the teachers and tell them to hit me. When they asked him why because I was a good student and behaved. His response was that you haven't caught him yet, so whack him just in case. 👨‍🎓

Yeah, everybody takes a few pummeling's one way or another.  

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Have the beatings continued into adulthood?

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Yeah, everybody takes a few pummeling's one way or another.  

The world has changed. But what the old school discipline did is to toughen you up and make you handle criticism (fair and not) better so that it wouldn't emotionally affect you . Trust me, I got the scars to prove it. Tough love can at times be tough for the recipient. 😬

6 minutes ago, MBD said:

Have the beatings continued into adulthood?

No. I run a lot faster. Avoidance is a solution to the stick. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.