Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I know it's way early in the season, but Sunday's game feels like a must win.  

Win and we have the same record as the fish but own the tiebreaker.  Lose and the Bills fall essentially 3 games back of the fish as Miami would be 4-0 to our 2-2 and have the tiebreaker.   

It is early but you are correct - and the final game of the season is at Miami which is an advantage for them.  

Just play them one at a time and peak late in the season.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, carpandean said:

Sam LaPorta making the case that moving up for Kincaid was a bad decision.  Maybe it's just the "(not) trusting your rookies" thing ...

It’s tough to tell exactly what they have in Kincaid as his usage is either nonexistent or stupid (a bubble screen to a TE that was amply covered, WTF?)

I'm willing to have some patience with Dorsey's ability to feature Kincaid in ways that play to the young player's strengths and allow him to get on the field regularly as a young player.

Some patience.

I heard over and over in the preseason that TE's have a unique challenge as rookies -- they need to learn two distinct areas of pro play -- receiving and O-line -- and that the learning curve is therefore steep. The solution, I heard, was to ask Kincaid to do less than everything. Have him line up in the slot. Don't ask him to do the in-line stuff.

So far, I've been underwhelmed by Dorsey's plan for the player. *Sigh*

But there's still time.

7 minutes ago, inkman said:

It’s tough to tell exactly what they have in Kincaid as his usage is either nonexistent or stupid (a bubble screen to a TE that was amply covered, WTF?)

I am confident that they have a terrific and unusual talent. I am concerned that Dorsey's fahking it up.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Did realize Kincaid career is over with.

I thought our fan base overreacts you guys take the cake

I hear ya but the Bills can’t just waste high round draft picks.  Being up against the cap, the Bills need to hit on draft picks to supplement the talent they are going to lose via free agency (Edmunds).  Drafting a player that has had zero impact so far, is disheartening and an indictment of Dorsey.  Like you said, it’s early but the returns so far are bleak.  

10 minutes ago, inkman said:

I hear ya but the Bills can’t just waste high round draft picks.  Being up against the cap, the Bills need to hit on draft picks to supplement the talent they are going to lose via free agency (Edmunds).  Drafting a player that has had zero impact so far, is disheartening and an indictment of Dorsey.  Like you said, it’s early but the returns so far are bleak.  

Your team has hit on many draft picks if you look around the league you be shocked that the bills are top 5 in drafting..

Just saying 

13 minutes ago, inkman said:

I thought Kincaid looked good, for a rookie, in weeks 1 and 2. Last week was a dud in that respect, but they won by 34 points so it's hard to get riled up. 

Probably need to give this a little time. 

Also, the Bernard pick last year is looking like a winner for replacing Edmunds. But we can give that some more time too.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

i think that overstates things. i like the player a lot and he's ours for a few years at least. it's the OC i'm not sure about.

inkman has been doomposting about the Bills' imminent collapse since McDermott's first year here, that's just how he watches. 2019 was another year where it was very hard to convince him that we might be starting to turn into a good team. And of course, first in points per game and points allowed per game since then, second most wins since then, one of two teams with playoff wins each season since then, etc etc etc

The film guys have been impressed with the ways that Dorsey has navigated a jumpy Allen through some of the best DL players in the game the last two weeks, on the way to blowout wins in which Josh was completely untouched (literally untouched against the best DL we will see until Philly except when he flopped to draw a call, that was the only play on which WSH was credited a QB hit) 

2/3rds of our games have been obvious domination and heaps of garbage time. I get that fans want to see us rip passes to Kincaid up the seam. It will come, but you don't really want to empty your clip in these games. If things are janky and we lose to Miami, I will be annoyed. But I see fans who have never pressed play on All-22 come in the second the game is over and tell us all about how bad the OC was, and then 4 days later after 3 guys work their butts off dissecting the film, show nuanced and detailed highlights of all the things they liked, I am happy to "appeal to authority" and be convinced by that. 

Also, Kincaid is on target for the 5th most catches by a rookie TE in NFL history, despite not getting a look after the first drive last week. Everyone wants Madden numbers, but madden isn't real life. He's been running good routes, Josh's trust and feel in/for him will only increase, and it's week 4 of 18 

Poyer is out, but so is Jaelen Phillips. I think that hurts Miami more than Poyer hurts us, he's been slow anyway

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Also, Kincaid is on target for the 5th most catches by a rookie TE in NFL history, despite not getting a look after the first drive last week. Everyone wants Madden numbers, but madden isn't real life. He's been running good routes, Josh's trust and feel in/for him will only increase, and it's week 4 of 18 

Poyer is out, but so is Jaelen Phillips. I think that hurts Miami more than Poyer hurts us, he's been slow anyway

What about this LaPorta kid? A rookie too? He looked pretty good last night.

It stinks that Poyer's nicked up. I saw the play where he got hurt - I am sure he is still hurting. I saw an All-22 Twitter person post content indicating that Poyer's not been great so far (that he's been okay, but that he may have permanently lost a step).

28 minutes ago, shrader said:

Does 100% exist in the nfl?

It does not.

30 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

What about this LaPorta kid? A rookie too? He looked pretty good last night.

It stinks that Poyer's nicked up. I saw the play where he got hurt - I am sure he is still hurting. I saw an All-22 Twitter person post content indicating that Poyer's not been great so far (that he's been okay, but that he may have permanently lost a step).

It does not.

LaPorta is a good player, I drafted him in 4 of my 5 fantasy leagues and he's already starting in 2 of them. Detroit's entire passing game is the Goff classic play-action rollout, which is incredibly conducive to athletic tight ends. He's also the second most skilled pass catcher on that roster already. His big touchdown in week 2 came from busted coverage against a heavy box, the type of defense Josh hasn't seen since early 2020 and won't see again the rest of his career. As far as I'm concerned how Detroit uses LaPorta is completely irrelevant to us and Kincaid

• Thanks (+1) 2

This is all very interesting, but what do y'all think of Josh Buffaloing his Pepsi?

And on and on...  https://twitter.com/search?q=buffalo pepsi&src=typed_query

Personally I don't plan to try it, and I don't really care if it tastes good or not.  But I will say this:  this is an interesting viral ad campaign.  In the search link you see lots of people trying Buffalo Pepsi.  It's creating a fair amount of buzz, which is precisely what you want from a viral campaign. 

We've already seen other advertisers jumping on the Josh bandwagon but this campaign seems different in the way it was "leaked" in a viral tweet, and includes a tag line:  "If this is wrong, I don't wanna be right."  It acknowledges the lunacy of the combo yet dares people to try it.  As ad campaigns go, this is one of the better ones I think.

I also think this could be the launch of an actual Pepsi flavor:  Buffalo Pepsi, which will be Pepsi with hot pepper sauce flavoring added.  When it hits the shelves I bet they advertise it as a limited release but if it increases sales enough could be a long term thing (or maybe an annual thing during football season).

If all this comes to pass, it will be good for Pepsi.  It also be good for Josh:  It will increase his hype man potential.  Compared to the super-lame Mahomes commercials for State Farm and Subway, this campaign is edgy and feels like it shows genuine Josh.  It will also benefit the city:  If the flavor takes off, it's tagged with Buffalo civic pride.  My impression as someone who has lived outside the Buffalo area for my whole adult life is that it makes the city look "cool."  It also will help the Bills in that it may draw more people toward them because it kind of portrays a personal side to Josh that makes him seem likeable.

Yes ultimately the whole point of Josh being a Buffalo Bill is to win a Super Bowl, but what do y'all think about this ad campaign?

Edited by Doohickie

4 hours ago, shrader said:

I didn’t watch last week. With that strong d-line in Washington, we’re the Bills bringing in more protection packages. That could explain less from Kincaid. 

The Bills really weren't.  The 2 guards are significant upgrades from last year and as bad as Brown looked week 1 he looked as good against the Raider's edge rusher Crosby and against the WTFs.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Doohickie said:

This is all very interesting, but what do y'all think of Josh Buffaloing his Pepsi?

And on and on...  https://twitter.com/search?q=buffalo pepsi&src=typed_query

Personally I don't plan to try it, and I don't really care if it tastes good or not.  But I will say this:  this is an interesting viral ad campaign.  In the search link you see lots of people trying Buffalo Pepsi.  It's creating a fair amount of buzz, which is precisely what you want from a viral campaign. 

We've already seen other advertisers jumping on the Josh bandwagon but this campaign seems different in the way it was "leaked" in a viral tweet, and includes a tag line:  "If this is wrong, I don't wanna be right."  It acknowledges the lunacy of the combo yet dares people to try it.  As ad campaigns go, this is one of the better ones I think.

I also think this could be the launch of an actual Pepsi flavor:  Buffalo Pepsi, which will be Pepsi with hot pepper sauce flavoring added.  When it hits the shelves I bet they advertise it as a limited release but if it increases sales enough could be a long term thing (or maybe an annual thing during football season).

If all this comes to pass, it will be good for Pepsi.  It also be good for Josh:  It will increase his hype man potential.  Compared to the super-lame Mahomes commercials for State Farm and Subway, this campaign is edgy and feels like it shows genuine Josh.  It will also benefit the city:  If the flavor takes off, it's tagged with Buffalo civic pride.  My impression as someone who has lived outside the Buffalo area for my whole adult life is that it makes the city look "cool."  It also will help the Bills in that it may draw more people toward them because it kind of portrays a personal side to Josh that makes him seem likeable.

Yes ultimately the whole point of Josh being a Buffalo Bill is to win a Super Bowl, but what do y'all think about this ad campaign?

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952b2i04sg5aojkkygv4

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, SwampD said:

I think it's fantastic. Satire at it's finest.

I'm so tired of seeing places just add Frank's and blue cheese to something and calling it Buffalo this, or Buffalo that.

That and Josh should know better than to ever say “Buffalo wings” in that video. If they want to pay you to do that, demand the correction. 

14 minutes ago, shrader said:

That and Josh should know better than to ever say “Buffalo wings” in that video. If they want to pay you to do that, demand the correction. 

Thing is, if this is a precursor to them introducing a "Buffalo Pepsi" they need him to use that term mistaken as it may be.  And let's face it, they did pay him to do so.  And they paid him enough to get him to just suck it up and say the line as written.

Edited by Taro T

On 9/26/2023 at 3:51 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

I know it's way early in the season, but Sunday's game feels like a must win.  

Win and we have the same record as the fish but own the tiebreaker.  Lose and the Bills fall essentially 3 games back of the fish as Miami would be 4-0 to our 2-2 and have the tiebreaker.   

It is a 'must win' for the fan base.

If the Bills lose, much of the fan base will think/feel: 

-Miami has passed us, they beat us at home, we are 2 games plus a tiebreaker behind them in the division, they look bad against the Bengals with a healthy Burrow, they struggle with the Jets, and we still have to go to KC every year. No chance this team gets deep in the playoffs. 

If the Bills win:

-They are still tops in the division, after beating the much-hyped Dolphins and being 3-1, they could very well be the best team in the league, I can't see them being outclassed by ANYONE.

The truth will likely, as it almost always in, be better than the perception if they lose, and a bit lower than the perception if they win.  The other things fan bases hardly ever do is realize teams DO get better OR worse as the season progresses.  90% (or more) comments or conversations I hear about a sports team just assume whatever path a team is on today will continue until the end of the year...that is rarely true.