Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

Bills have Neal, Cam Lewis, Ingram in addition to Jackson, Elam and Rapp mentioned above. All have played in the past. Kyron Bown on the PS has seen snaps with the Jets and Cowboys. Neal, Lewis and Ingram have played every secondary position. At the very least, the Bills have secured some actual decent depth in the secondary.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Night Train said:

Bills have Neal, Cam Lewis, Ingram in addition to Jackson, Elam and Rapp mentioned above. All have played in the past. Kyron Bown on the PS has seen snaps with the Jets and Cowboys. Neal, Lewis and Ingram have played every secondary position. At the very least, the Bills have secured some actual decent depth in the secondary.  

In terms of outside cornerback, the org's depth is now Benford - Jackson - Elam - Ingram.

Lewis backs up Taron (NCB) and Hyde (FS), evidently.

Neal also backs up Taron.

As others have noted, Beane's signing of Rapp (for a Poyer replacement) looks so smart now.

Between Lewis and Ingram, the Bills could have a lot of (UB) Bulls in the d-backfield. Or on S. Teams.

13 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

In terms of outside cornerback, the org's depth is now Benford - Jackson - Elam - Ingram.

Lewis backs up Taron (NCB) and Hyde (FS), evidently.

Neal also backs up Taron.

As others have noted, Beane's signing of Rapp (for a Poyer replacement) looks so smart now.

Between Lewis and Ingram, the Bills could have a lot of (UB) Bulls in the d-backfield. Or on S. Teams.

To give Beane credit, I think it was wise that he stopped wasting draft assets on defensive end and especially RB. He instead used picks to fix problem spots including Torrence (who thankfully slid). What he couldn't draft he found good UFA options between Rapp and Ford, the defense has better depth. Also I personally think Bernard has been more influential on the game than Edwards was. Edwards was an athlete with IMPO poor instincts for the position. 

I questioned Beane going into this season and honestly I think that was justified. He however has restored much faith through the first 4 games. 

Also Ken Dorsey seems to have finally settled in but I am concerned that he lacks the ability to adapt to good defenses such as the jets. The Dolphins, the Raiders, and the Commanders don't necessarily have rock star complicated defenses. My concern is that Allen and Dorsey seem to panic a little against complex defenses which doesn't make sense because they see a complex defense in practice every day. Either way, for now they are humming and I think the improved O-line is a big reason for it. You gotta win in the trenches. If college football has taught me anything is that you win in the trenches first and I think last year especially the o-line just couldn't handle it and that got into Josh's head and he honestly panicked and went into hero ball land. 

All of that said, Dorsey and McDermott have done very well since the Jets game and deserve a lot of credit. White going out is a tough loss but Vonn's return is intriguing. I would personally limit Vonn's snaps for the next few weeks especially if we are dominating like we did against the last 3 opponents. 

32 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What he couldn't draft he found good UFA options between Rapp and Ford, the defense has better depth. Also I personally think Bernard has been more influential on the game than Edwards was. Edwards was an athlete with IMPO poor instincts for the position. 

My concern is that Allen and Dorsey seem to panic a little against complex defenses which doesn't make sense because they see a complex defense in practice every day. 

White going out is a tough loss but Vonn's return is intriguing. I would personally limit Vonn's snaps for the next few weeks

The Ford signing is interesting, as he's been inactive for most if not all of the team's games so far. Perhaps his signing had the added benefit of lighting a fire under Settle. The personnel move from Edmunds to Bernard is nothing short of fascinating. Who was the Edmunds apologist here? @inkman's take has been vindicated through 4 games: Edmunds was sound and fury signifying nothing. Edmunds looks the part, but he lacks instincts and football IQ. The Bills' version of Rasmus Ristolainen.

As for the struggles against the Jets, Mahomes and the Chiefs just laid a turd against them as well.

Losing Tre is so tough. They should absolutely ease Miller back in. You want that guy feeling good in December.

• Thanks (+1) 1

McDermott vs Leslie Frazier.  Same base defense, but McDermott is willing to be aggressive with stunts and blitzes and Frazier was always bend but don’t break.  The Bills defense looks better for the change.  

Football is won in the trenches.  Always has been and always will be.  The team that keeps their QB upright and with time to throw nearly always wins. The team that doesn’t losses.  See Sea vs NYG last night and the Bills vs Fish for all the proof you need.  In the Bills game Allen was hit 3 times (2 sacks) all game.  The Bills sacked Tua 4 times and hit him numerous others.

it’s a testimony to how much better the Bills O Line is that Josh has only run 10 times in the last 3 weeks.

I've had the opportunity to see some All-22 video analysis of the Bill's D (Cover-1 does a great job, btw). You see so much that's going on outside the view of the regular broadcast. What is striking is how complex the Bills D scheme is and more so just how much pre-snap communication is taking pace in the back seven. For that reason I have to believe the Bills will not bring anyone in from the outside without a great deal of familiarity with the calls. They'll pull guys up from the practice squad first. Anyone brought in from the outside will be for practice squad replacement with the hope they can get up to speed in 6 or 7 weeks if needed. 

• Like (+1) 4

On 10/3/2023 at 3:48 PM, JustOneParade said:

I've had the opportunity to see some All-22 video analysis of the Bill's D (Cover-1 does a great job, btw). You see so much that's going on outside the view of the regular broadcast. What is striking is how complex the Bills D scheme is and more so just how much pre-snap communication is taking pace in the back seven. For that reason I have to believe the Bills will not bring anyone in from the outside without a great deal of familiarity with the calls. They'll pull guys up from the practice squad first. Anyone brought in from the outside will be for practice squad replacement with the hope they can get up to speed in 6 or 7 weeks if needed. 

I think you are right with the Bills staying in house to cure their injury woes.  One name tossed out on the interwebs was Levi Wallace.  He’s familiar with the concepts, players and coaches.  Pittsburgh looks like they are spiraling.   So I guess it’s possible although probably not very likely. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

this didn't age well at all did it? 

Way too early for the victory lap.

This weekend feels like a classic trap game -- letdown after huge win vs Miami, stomach punch from Tre's injury, travel, jet lag, mediocre opponent with a good QB, etc.

3-2 is quite possible.

48 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

This weekend feels like a classic trap game -- letdown after huge win vs Miami, stomach punch from Tre's injury, travel, jet lag, mediocre opponent with a good QB, etc.

3-2 is quite possible.

Von Miller's debut.  Can't see the D-line laying a stinker on the field when VM is finally back.  He won't let them.  And if the D-line gets after Lawrence the back 7 will take care of business as well.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Von Miller's debut.  Can't see the D-line laying a stinker on the field when VM is finally back.  He won't let them.  And if the D-line gets after Lawrence the back 7 will take care of business as well.

Wait, he's playing?  That would be one crazy turnaround after just starting to practice... then you mix in the unusual travel

7 minutes ago, shrader said:

Wait, he's playing?  That would be one crazy turnaround after just starting to practice... then you mix in the unusual travel

He said based on yesterday's practice they'll make the decision.  But coming off the field yesterday, he said he felt great.

Doubt he'd get many reps if he goes, but am expecting to see him go Sunday.  Especially with losing White, gives them something to rally around (should they need it).  They're playing very well right now and might not need it.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

3-2 is quite possible.

I can feel quite comfortable in saying that Miami isn’t light years ahead of the Bills 

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

3-2 is quite possible.

Just as in recent years Buffalo and Josh Allen seem to do very well against Miami, the opposite can be said about their performances against Jacksonville.

2 hours ago, shrader said:

You want to talk crazy recovery? Jerry Rice tore his ACL and MCL in the season opener in 1997 (almost 35, over a year older than Von was), and came back for the season finale.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

but am expecting to see him go Sunday. 

nah, man. that'd be crazy. foolhardy too. of course the player wants to play. the medical team must have a schedule established for easing him back into things. nfw they let him play. i'll eat my zubaz undies if he plays a snap.

23 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I too am pretty skeptical that Von will play.  There is no rush and the Bills have generally been pretty cautious with this kind of thing.

What might get him a few snaps is Rousseau is hurt and may not play. Yet I agree. Jonathan is not a bad option to play more Sunday. He brings heat.

12 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

What is they story with Poona Ford? Is he injured? He was thought of as a really nice signing but hasn’t played much if at all.

I have the same question. It appears that the Poona Ford signing motivated Tim Settle, since the former has been unable to supplant the latter.