Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

10 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

My biggest regret of the day (aside from White's injury) is that I watched that long Diggs TD silently with my arms crossed, completely convinced that they were making a weak push-off call. Told everyone around me that I thought it was coming back. It was of course awesome to be wrong and celebrate, but i missed out on enjoying one of the plays that will top Diggs' career highlight reel.

I will learn to enjoy the game first and be cynical later. 

I. Had. The. Exact. Same. Experience.

Ugh. But I'll do better next time!

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Mine too. 
Well, not as big a Bills fan, but she makes a point of watching with me every Sunday.

My biggest concern is that if Swift and Kelce become a real thing (instead of a media PR stunt), my daughter may become a Chief's fan.  She assured me yesterday that wouldn't happen, but I'm still worried.  

18 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

FYI: My youngest daughter is a huge Swiftie and just as big a football fan (UGA and the Bills).  

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Mine too. 
Well, not as big a Bills fan, but she makes a point of watching with me every Sunday.

I hear you. I maintain that there are huge market shares that each brand would want to tap into by leveraging the other brand's goodwill.

The "Taylor Swift put Travis Kelce on the map" viral prank is hinting at what I'm saying.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

My biggest concern is that if Swift and Kelce become a real thing (instead of a media PR stunt), my daughter may become a Chief's fan.  She assured me yesterday that wouldn't happen, but I'm still worried.  

Don't worry about her becoming a Chief's fan. If she does become one because of her relationship with Kelce, it will only be for a short term. You'll know when it is over when after the breakup she writes a tough girl and get even song about this scoundrel. 😀

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Don't worry about her becoming a Chief's fan. If she does become one because of her relationship with Kelce, it will only be for a short term. You'll know when it is over when after the breakup she writes a tough girl and get even song about this scoundrel. 😀

Your right.  Kelce is just a phase.  

3 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Embarrassing 

I'm not going to say that I am not watching the NFL because of the whole Taylor Swift thing because that isn't true.

What I will say is I was always a huge NFL and Bills fan. Watched every single NFL game I could growing up.  I rooted for the Bills more than all my other favorite teams combined in every other sport just about. But that has changed. now I care about the Sabres 2x more than the Bills.  Why? I haven't been able to figure out exactly why but a big factor is how the NFL is always there, I can't get away from it it seems.  Its in your face. It's overhyped.

I realize that is what probably brings in more casual fans and a lot more money. For me though, its just too much. This whole Taylor Swift thing is just another step in that direction.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Are Swifties as malleable as Beatlemaniacs were?  Sales of Jelly Babies went up something like 300% when The Beatles said they liked them on a chat show.  If not that bad, then she is probably OK.

So back to the Bills for a second.  What do the Bills do if Poyer is out for an extended period and White is done for the season?  I can see running with Elam and Hamlin for a week or two, but we need better players to win it all.  Is Rapp an upgrade over Hamlin?  Will they trade for a CB?

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So back to the Bills for a second.  What do the Bills do if Poyer is out for an extended period and White is done for the season?  I can see running with Elam and Hamlin for a week or two, but we need better players to win it all.  Is Rapp an upgrade over Hamlin?  Will they trade for a CB?

Personally, I think the team is thinking Rapp is better than Hamlin in the Defensive backfield.  All the usual existing CB's on the 53 man get their playing time bumped up and Elam fills out the 53.  Then you look for a free agent at each position unless you are pretty high on one of your existing practice squad guys.

My guess is there probably isn't anyone out there who is a free agent who they think is better that what is on their roster.  So I'm pretty sure they will just elevate from within, and any signings will be for 'security' in case of further injuries, and not to play on a regular basis.  Unless of course, we get to the point where a team is clearly 'done' this year and wants to start unloading pieces for middle round picks.

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Personally from an outsider poyer looks almost toast 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I haven't been able to figure out exactly why but a big factor is how the NFL is always there, I can't get away from it it seems.  Its in your face. It's overhyped.

I realize that is what probably brings in more casual fans and a lot more money. For me though, its just too much. This whole Taylor Swift thing is just another step in that direction.

This is interesting.

Rapp was in for Poyer yesterday. Both strong safeties.

When Hyde went down last year, Hamlin came in. Both free safeties.

In terms of outside corners, they have Benford, Jackson, and Elam on the 53 man roster.

Now they'll add someone to the 53 man from the P Squad. It's someone we saw in preseason. Not sure who that is.

And then they'll sign someone else to the P Squad.

All that said, I would like to see them bring in a capable vet who is familiar with McDermott's defensive philosophy. There's a gotta be a team that stinks already (or who will soon stink) who has someone who could help.

One edit: Cam Lewis might now be the team's 2nd string free safety. In addition to being the Bills' backup slot corner.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

This is interesting.

In terms of outside corners, they have Benford, Jackson, and Elam on the 53 man roster.

Now they'll add someone to the 53 man from the P Squad. It's someone we saw in preseason. Not sure who that is.

All that said, I would like to see them bring in a capable vet who is familiar with McDermott's defensive philosophy. There's a gotta be a team that stinks already (or who will soon stink) who has someone who could help.

One edit: Cam Lewis might now be the team's 2nd string free safety. In addition to being the Bills' backup slot corner.

Gotta believe they will elevate Ja’Marcus Ingram from the practice squad. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

My biggest regret of the day (aside from White's injury) is that I watched that long Diggs TD silently with my arms crossed, completely convinced that they were making a weak push-off call. Told everyone around me that I thought it was coming back. It was of course awesome to be wrong and celebrate, but i missed out on enjoying one of the plays that will top Diggs' career highlight reel.

I will learn to enjoy the game first and be cynical later. 

At least you weren't one of a handful of people in America that missed Don Beebe's stripping the ball away from Leon Lett.

Just sat down in the sea of Cowboy fans because just couldn't watch the Bills give up more points that the Patsies had done against the Bears.  When my buddy started cheering, popped back up but missed the best part.

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

@That Aud Smell  Fanatics announced that Kelce jersey sales are up 400% and that they are getting huge orders for KC 87 jerseys with "Swift" on the back.  

I'm not sure what the big deal is, Philly already has Kelce and Swift on the same team.

Kind of fitting that they're buying Fanatics branded jerseys.  They MIGHT last long enough to last throught the entire 8 or so months the relationship likely will last.  Fortunately for them, they won't leave any forensic evidence that they ever were Chef fans.  😉

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

This is interesting.

Yep.  Rapp takes Poyer's role if he can't go.  (Another great signing by Beane.)  And Jackson steps into the starting rotation, but not sure if Benford keeps his normal spot and Jackson fills in for Tre or of Benford steps up with Jackson the 2CB.  Elam becomes the 3.  And as somebody else mentioned, Ingram likely gets elevated to the 53 man roster.

Fortunately, the team is hitting a stretch of middle of the pack/ good offenses and will have some time to evaluate whether Jackson and Elam are good enough to take on the added responsibilities before the trade deadline.  Jags, Gints, Cheats, Bucs is a way easier stretch than Iggles, Chefs, Pokes, Lightning Bolts is going to be.  Even if they will need to upgrade at CB, White being out shouldn't be costing them games at this point.  

Plus, the D-Line that has been getting pressure like crazy will soon have Von Miller available if they need to take it up from '10' to an '11.'