GDT: Sabres @ Predators, 1/14/23, 8:00 pm, ESPN+ and MSG

nfreeman

Nice composure to come back and own the third period after two weak goals allowed them to tie it.

Now let's go on another long winning streak.

Just now, HumanSlinky39 said:

Outside of about a 5-6 minute stretch in the second, we pretty thoroughly dominated them and ground them into sawdust in the third. That was outstanding.

Yeah they could have scored 10 tonight.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I like the balanced scoring, the return of The Kids. 

Terry Crisp is doing the post game for the Preds.  He was a really good Buffalo Bison in the AHL, then a solid member of the Flyers cup teams.  

He was a good third line center.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Casey looks better and better every game. I really hope it continues.

I didn’t see the Sabres getting outmuscled at any point in the game, contrary to a bunch of comments made here.

The number of hits in a game may not correlate to winning, but a big hit sure seems to make a difference on a given play (not unlike a face off win when you need it).

I thought they took a lot of hits.  Our goalie got hit.  Power got blasted a few times.  Bryson obliterated numerous times.  In fact, Jost retaliated for one with a slash.  So did Looby in the first period.  They kept skating and working through it though. 

Edited by Pimlach

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Half way through, need 54 points out of 82 available to reach 98.  (55 points to be over 0.600 at 99.)

Play 0.600 the rest of the way and then get an extra 5 or 6 above that & they're playoff bound.

Around the East tonight overall was decent. No 3-point games which is excellent. Leafs, Pens, Sens, Wings, and Caps lose. But Isles and Panthers (Sabres have 3 games in hand on each) get Ws. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Power going to be a beast.   Him and Dahlin going to play 23+ minutes a night a lot for us.

I thought this was Power's best game. He lost the puck behind his goal that resulted in a score but other than that he was a stud. 

As mentioned on the broadcast the Sabres were by far the faster team. 

UPL was good in net. I thought the only bad goal was the long shot that he missed. In the last couple of minutes he was exceptional. 

The sit down for Quinn and JJ served them well. They were moving well and were active in creating scoring chances. 

The Mitts/Jost/Olofsson line played solidly. Mitts has played consistently well for the past number of games. 

As mentioned in a prior post, the Okposo between the legs goal was nifty. His teammates on the bench reacted crazily after that. The players on this team love that oldster.

Sabre hockey is entertaining hockey!

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Really liked Quinn not backing down after the shift where ge got pounded about 4 times.  Scoring that goal should make any bruises suffered all that much less painful.

How best to reply to getting banged around when you aren't that big, just bury the ####ing puck.  Scoreboard.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Really liked Quinn not backing down after the shift where ge got pounded about 4 times.  Scoring that goal should make any bruises suffered all that much less painful.

How best to reply to getting banged around when you aren't that big, just bury the ####ing puck.  Scoreboard.

One impressive attribute that Quinn has is that he can shoot/snipe in tight quarters. Although he's not the biggest guy on the roster, he plays tough. How much better is he going to be in another year or two as he physically matures!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

Anyone else get the feeling that Tage is pressing it a bit? Seems that since his All Star announcement on 1/5, he’s been struggling with the handles. Not saying he hasn’t had his good moments, but he seems less patient with the puck on his stick lately and it’s getting away from him. 

Might be time to get VO on the other side on the PP, too. I get why DG likes Cozens there, but maybe VO gives teams another PP sniper to think about opposite Tage. Opponents are giving Cozens all sorts of space as they seek to take away TT first, but Dylan just doesn’t have that PP shot like VO does. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

52 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Quinn was knocked around a lot, it was good to see him bag one.

I think Quinn thrives on getting his nose dirty, even if he gets caved sometimes.  He reminds me of Skinner that respect.

53 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Mitts and VO played well, getting some mojo going now.

Jost is a big part of that line now.  I think Casey was still centering too much but at this point they're all playing their roles properly and the line is gelling.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2

55 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I thought they took a lot of hits.  Our goalie got hit.  Power got blasted a few times.  Bryson obliterated numerous times.  In fact, Jost retaliated for one with a slash.  So did Looby in the first period.  They get skating and working through it though. 

What else could Nashville do? Not like they could skate with them. Looked similar to the old slow Flyer teams in the playoffs against the lockout Sabres. All they can try and do is hit them because they were getting skated out of the building.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.