GDT: Sabres @ Predators, 1/14/23, 8:00 pm, ESPN+ and MSG

nfreeman

OK boys.  We were feeling great a week ago, when our guys had won 6 in a row to get to 3 over Deluca .500 and the rest of the East was starting to get scared.  Now they've lost 3 in a row, all at home, the world-wrecking offense is sputtering and the goaltending is still shaky.

The good news:

- Even with this losing streak, they are still at Deluca .500, so if they rip off a few wins in a row now they will be right back in the playoff picture. 

- The VO-Jost-Mitts line has, shockingly, figured out the forecheck/puck possession game and now seems to get the better of the play on most of their shifts. 

- The top line is still a major force.

- They are reasonably healthy.

- They aren't going to quit. 

Nashville is 19-6-6 overall and 9-6-3 at home.  They've lost their last 2 but went 5-0-1 in the 6 games before that.

It looks like Zemgus is out tonight.  Maybe Quinn and JJP return to Cozens' line and Aspy dresses instead of Zemgus?

Let's get a W.

Go Sabres.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Thanks for the good news points of view.  It is getting depressing here right now with the 3 game losing streak.  This team has to figure out how to get their game back. 

I look forward to seeing Quinn and Peterka back.   Asplund and Hinostroza did not show anything to indicate they should be playing.   I am back to feeling that Cozens is being wasted without at least one good veteran winger to play with.   We really need the rookies to bring some energy, get on the scoresheet, and take some heat off of the first line.  

Zemgus is a loss on the 4th line, especially against a team like the Preds.   I agree that Asplund is the likely replacement and he really needs to show something.  This has not been a good year for him, expectations for him were higher.  

As you said, this team needs to get a DUB. 

Who will be in goal?   I think UPL or Andy give us the best chance.  

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Thanks for the good news points of view.  It is getting depressing here right now with the 3 game losing streak.  This team has to figure out how to get their game back. 

I look forward to seeing Quinn and Peterka back.   Asplund and Hinostroza did not show anything to indicate they should be playing.   I am back to feeling that Cozens is being wasted without at least one good veteran winger to play with.   We really need the rookies to bring some energy, get on the scoresheet, and take some heat off of the first line.  

Zemgus is a loss on the 4th line, especially against a team like the Preds.   I agree that Asplund is the likely replacement and he really needs to show something.  This has not been a good year for him, expectations for him were higher.  

As you said, this team needs to get a DUB. 

Who will be in goal?   I think UPL or Andy give us the best chance.  

Let's take a look at the last two games of the homestand against Seattle and Winnipeg. As reflected by their respective records, both are good teams. The Sabres obviously fell short in those loses. But in those games against quality teams the games could have easily gone the other way. In the Winnipeg game, the difference was the exceptional play of their world class goalie. This was an evenly played game. 

The point I'm making here is that it would be wrong to over interpret these losses. The homestand losses were certainly disappointing. But the situation can't be described as dire as many are making it out to be. Most fair-minded people acknowledge that the Sabres are not a complete team. That's obvious. But that doesn't mean that this team has such a dearth of talent that it can't competitively compete against the best teams in the league. 

Prior to the season, I felt that this was a 90 point team that should be contending for a playoff spot right up to the end of the season. I still hold to that belief. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Let's take a look at the last two games of the homestand against Seattle and Winnipeg. As reflected by their respective records, both are good teams. The Sabres obviously fell short in those loses. But in those games against quality teams the games could have easily gone the other way. In the Winnipeg game, the difference was the exceptional play of their world class goalie. This was an evenly played game. 

The point I'm making here is that it would be wrong to over interpret these losses. The homestand losses were certainly disappointing. But the situation can't be described as dire as many are making it out to be. Most fair-minded people acknowledge that the Sabres are not a complete team. That's obvious. But that doesn't mean that this team has such a dearth of talent that it can't competitively compete against the best teams in the league. 

Prior to the season, I felt that this was a 90 point team that should be contending for a playoff spot right up to the end of the season. I still hold to that belief. 

I agree we should not overreact to losses or wins for that matter. Before the last two games, we got shut out at home by a crap team, and the only thing this three game losing streak has shown me is that we have a ways to go before we can contend on a serious basis.  “Moral victory” is a losing team’s lament.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Good point.   The margin for error every night is low.   Seems like almost every game we play a team on a hot streak.  We made some mistakes in both of those games that young teams tend to make.  My concern is that they move forward and end the losing streak now.   Playing good and losing is not good enough.  

• Like (+1) 1

The Buffalo Sabres, wearing their Reverse Retro jerseys, will face the Nashville Predators tonight as they look to snap a three-game losing streak. 

Faceoff is at 8 p.m. on MSG and WGR 550 .Pregame coverage starts at 7:30 on MSG. 

The team will be without Zemgus Girgensonsas he stayed back in Buffalo with a non-COVID illness. Rookies Jack Quinn and JJ Peterka are expected to be back in the lineup after not playing the past two games. 

Peyton Krebs was loaned to Rochester yesterday as part of the Sabres' daily roster management as they carry three goaltenders. Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, Eric Comrie and Craig Anderson are all currently on the active roster.

Here are the top Game Notes to prepare you for tonight's contest:

• Buffalo has won three of its last four matchups with Nashville.
• The Sabres have scored four or more goals in each of their last six victories over the Predators.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I agree we should not overreact to losses or wins for that matter. Before the last two games, we got shut out at home by a crap team, and the only thing this three game losing streak has shown me is that we have a ways to go before we can contend on a serious basis.  “Moral victory” is a losing team’s lament.

The Philly game was a dud game. It happens in a long pro hockey and basketball season. If you believe that I am seeking "moral victories" then you are misinterpreting my comments. My general point in my previous post is that from an overview standpoint this team is in a much better position than it was a couple of years ago. I simply have no doubt that even being subjected to a turbulent season the trajectory is upward. 

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

So, do we know whether Krebs' paper demotion means a healthy scratch tonight?

Hasn't been confirmed, but if he's "legally" an Amerk today, then he's not eligible to play.

I'm assuming JJ and Jack are in for Peyton and Zemgus.

Given the recent success of the Jost line, I suspect they will rejoin Cozens, and Asplund will end up centring Vinnie and Kyle

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Hasn't been confirmed, but if he's "legally" an Amerk today, then he's not eligible to play.

I'm assuming JJ and Jack are in for Peyton and Zemgus.

Given the recent success of the Jost line, I suspect they will rejoin Cozens, and Asplund will end up centring Vinnie and Kyle

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I believe so, Zemgus isn’t on the trip but they would have place Him on IR for seven days to make room for Krebs. 

Thanks gents.  Can't say I'm surprised -- Krebs' game seemed to slip a bit this week (along with others' games, TBF, but still).  I saw a number of not-strong-on-the-puck plays in the offensive zone from him.

• Like (+1) 1

Was sooo close to flying down to Nashville for this game.  I was actually in Nashville last year when they played (interestingly enough that game was Thursday Jan. 13, 2022).

Bridgestone Arena is an incredible experience and the fans in Nashville were great, even to a guy with a Sabres jersey on and even though their team lost.

Hoping for better stuff tonight... but this team has been hitting teams that are on some hot streaks (Flyers surprisingly).. and they've gotten #1 tendies (and will again tonight).

I just hope they play good defense and manage to look like they are on the same page when it comes to passing and getting up the ice. I'll be curious if Nashville jams up the neutral zone.. the Sabres haven't quite found a way to deal with that given their propensity to look for stretch passes and generate speed through the neutral zone.. once a teams jams up that space the Sabres begin going East/West and it doesn't end up well.

• Like (+1) 3

57 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Thanks gents.  Can't say I'm surprised -- Krebs' game seemed to slip a bit this week (along with others' games, TBF, but still).  I saw a number of not-strong-on-the-puck plays in the offensive zone from him.

I did not see anything from Asplund or Hinostroza in their two game stint with Cozens, but maybe the fancy stats say otherwise?  

No Krebs?   So Asplund at center with Kyle and Hinostroza.   Hmmm.  Someone needs to show they want to stay in the lineup.  

30 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I did not see anything from Asplund or Hinostroza in their two game stint with Cozens, but maybe the fancy stats say otherwise?  

Negative the Cozens Line was the worse in the two games they played. 

Vinnie is probably the best candidate to waive. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

No Krebs?   So Asplund at center with Kyle and Hinostroza.   Hmmm.  Someone needs to show they want to stay in the lineup.  

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Negative the Cozens Line was the worse in the two games they played. 

Vinnie is probably the best candidate to waive. 

Agree.  Their line had only 12 minute ES over two games with a 34% Corsi and 12/1 high danger chances against/for.  Cozens played better in his two previous with JJ and Quinn despite them struggling.   Neither Vinnie or Rasmus have played much recently so we can give some latitude but both need to step up their game today on a new line. 

Musical Walkover.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.