Tage Thompson is a super star

Buffalonill

15 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I hope he gets to 40 goals. It’s a nice benchmark. I’m not 100% convinced he will. But it’s looking good!

You aren't convinced that Tage Thompson will get 40 goals? At this point I would put the over under at 48.5 goals on the season and that might be a little low. He needs 14 goals to hit 40, that's it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

You aren't convinced that Tage Thompson will get 40 goals? At this point I would put the over under at 48.5 goals on the season and that might be a little low. He needs 14 goals to hit 40, that's it. 

I know. I hope he does. Hell, I hope he gets to 50!

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This is almost mind bogglingly pessimistic.  The man is leading the NHL in goals/60 minutes over the last 82 games(a full NHL season of games) and leading it by an even bigger margin this year. The only way he doesn't shatter 40 goals at this point is if he gets injured for 2 months or more. 

The equivalent of this would be like saying "Gee..I don't know if Buffalo will get to 65 inches of snow...so many things could go wrong...it could be warm for like 2 months straight..." as we sit here with 50 inches before winter has even technically started.  Not only will we get to that amount of snow, we will shatter that amount.

Edited by matter2003

Just now, matter2003 said:

This is almost mind bogglingly pessimistic.  The man is leading the NHL in goals/60 minutes over the last 82 games(a full NHL season of games) and leading it by an even bigger margin this year. The only way he doesn't shatter 40 goals at this point is if he gets injured for 2 months or more. 

Yeah, it’s not a fluke or just a hot streak, he will be in the running for the Richard trophy. Too bad McJesus has his eyes on that hardware too, he is being more selfish and trying for goals.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I hope he gets to 40 goals. It’s a nice benchmark. I’m not 100% convinced he will. But it’s looking good!

It would take a pretty good slump for him to miss 50 this season.  70 is not out of the question.  40 in my mind is his absolute minimum.  I feel like he's not as streaky as some scorers.  He maybe be slow to start the season but once he gets up to speed he's been pretty consistent last year and so far this year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

It would take a pretty good slump for him to miss 50 this season.  70 is not out of the question.  40 in my mind is his absolute minimum.  I feel like he's not as streaky as some scorers.  He maybe be slow to start the season but once he gets up to speed he's been pretty consistent last year and so far this year.

70 ??

Baring injury he will get to 50+, but I don't think 70.

100 points will be fairly easy too.  Again, baring injury.  I don't think he will have a *slump*.

12 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

70 ??

Baring injury he will get to 50+, but I don't think 70.

100 points will be fairly easy too.  Again, baring injury.  I don't think he will have a *slump*.

He's on a pace for 67 right now.  I'm not saying he'll get 70, just that it's possible.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

It would take a pretty good slump for him to miss 50 this season.  

Or an injury.   He has 26 goals in 32 games  He needs 24 goals in 50 games to get there.  Really, an Injury, or the NHL doing something stupid like telling the refs to let clutching/grabbing/interference go......and he should get to 50.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

Yeah, it’s not a fluke or just a hot streak, he will be in the running for the Richard trophy. Too bad McJesus has his eyes on that hardware too, he is being more selfish and trying for goals.

Richard award or not, just seeing Tage mentioned with McDavid is a testament to how far he’s come and what a scoring threat he is in this league. Can’t remember the last time we had a player like that. Early 90s? 

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Richard award or not, just seeing Tage mentioned with McDavid is a testament to how far he’s come and what a scoring threat he is in this league. Can’t remember the last time we had a player like that. Early 90s? 

So basically he's what we hoped Eichel would be?

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

Or an injury.   He has 26 goals in 32 games  He needs 24 goals in 50 games to get there.  Really, an Injury, or the NHL doing something stupid like telling the refs to let clutching/grabbing/interference go......and he should get to 50.

Remember when Skinner has 26 goals in 37 games and didn't hit 40 until game 82? 😉

Skinner2018-19Goals.thumb.jpg.9fcce538750b43b006a5fb4166bbef54.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Taro T said:

The Sabres are relevant again.

Time for you to give us all an awesome Christmas present and resurrect those charts!

PS - Welcome back.

SDS has one on the front page.  We'll see about the others ...

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

The Sabres were not leading the NHL in scoring that year.

True, and I also seem to remember him being pulled off of Jack's line in the second half (I think).

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, carpandean said:

True, and I also seem to remember him being pulled off of Jack's line in the second half (I think).

Your memory serves you well. It was HCPH's last season... the team sat atop the NHL standings on 11/27/2018 after a 10-game winning streak...  and earned 16 more wins (edited) the rest of the season.

In early February 2019, it looks like Skinner was moved off the top line in an attempt to kickstart everyone again (it worked, they beat the Wild 5-4 in a shootout). Then it was back to business as usual. It appears (by my very incomplete records) that the true demotion of Skinner from the top line coincided with Eichel's 2-game suspension in March.

3/14/2019 vs. PIT - Sheary-Rodrigues-Reinhart / Skinner-Sobotka-Pominville    Now that's a top 6!

VO eventually was called up for a look-see and took over the top line LW spot to close out the season (and Thompson was sent to Rochester in a corresponding move). Skinner wrapped the season on line 2 with ERod and Okposo.

Edited by DarthEbriate

On 12/20/2022 at 10:35 AM, French Collection said:

McDavid is being so selfish he also leads the league in assists...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Sakman said:

He’s always been near the league lead for assists. His career numbers are almost 2 assists for every goal.

I think he is pissed that Matthews was MVP because he got more goals. He looks like he wants to score as many as he can this year.

Gretzky was always a big assist guy and he went from 55 to 92 goals when he decided to be “selfish”.

8 minutes ago, Sakman said:

25 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Your memory serves you well. It was HCPH's last season... the team sat atop the NHL standings on 11/27/2018 after a 10-game winning streak...  and earned 15 more points the rest of the season.

In early February 2019, it looks like Skinner was moved off the top line in an attempt to kickstart everyone again (it worked, they beat the Wild 5-4 in a shootout). Then it was back to business as usual. It appears (by my very incomplete records) that the true demotion of Skinner from the top line coincided with Eichel's 2-game suspension in March.

3/14/2019 vs. PIT - Sheary-Rodrigues-Reinhart / Skinner-Sobotka-Pominville    Now that's a top 6!

VO eventually was called up for a look-see and took over the top line LW spot to close out the season (and Thompson was sent to Rochester in a corresponding move). Skinner wrapped the season on line 2 with ERod and Okposo.

I mean they were bad, not THAT bad 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, DarthEbriate said:

Whoa. I totally misread something when I wrote that. 16 more wins the remainder of the season. Thanks for the catch.

They were in 1st place in the league at Thanksgiving (U.S.) and missed the playoffs by 22 points.

It’s mind blowing. Technically, it’s statistically unlikely to miss the playoffs, just in general, if you are in at thanksgiving. Never mind if you are in 1st. That’s pretty unheard of. Historical context, already. 

To miss by 22 points..that’s Sabres special. 

Just now, Thorny said:

It’s mind blowing. Technically, it’s statistically unlikely to miss the playoffs, just in general, if you are in at thanksgiving. Never mind if you are in 1st. That’s pretty unheard of. Historical context, already. 

To miss by 22 points..that’s Sabres special. 

Interestingly enough, this season thus far has the early markings of the same, but inverse: a dumb, non-reflective streak surrounded by the truly reflective play 

• Thanks (+1) 1