Are the Sabres out of the running for the playoffs?

inkman

Are the Sabres out of the playoff race?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Sabres out of the playoff race

• Yes
    • No

7 hours ago, Pimlach said:

‘44.  France was liberated then. Sauerkraut no longer required.  

Speaking of France, when you study the German offensive there in May 1940, it's shocking how poorly prepared the French were even with superior tanks, mobility, and numbers. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Pimlach said:

‘44.  France was liberated then. Sauerkraut no longer required.  

Unless you're from the traditionally German Alsace region where my ancestors are from (came to NA via the Odessa region under Russian rule).

There's a recipe in the family for fried sauerkraut strudel. My mom didn't get a chance to show me exactly how to make it before she passed, but my Aunt is going to... I know most of what's involved from my mom, I just need the specifics on the dough.

It's really thin basic dough stretched as far as you can take it (no butter or fat like a normal strudel). It would almost take up our whole dining room table once stretched. You roll it with fried sauerkraut, bacon, and onions. The rolls are then cut into dumpling size pieces and steamed / fried in a covered pan with a saltwater/shortening mixture. Eventually the dough absorbs the steam/water, and the shortening crisps up the bottom. By far my favourite of all the old family German dishes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Speaking of France, when you study the German offensive there in May 1940, it's shocking how poorly prepared the French were even with superior tanks, mobility, and numbers. 

The Germans figured out combined arms mobile warfare. That was a new concept. The Wehrmacht had some gifted generals at the time and the French high command were old arrogant men stuck in their ways. 

4 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Unless you're from the traditionally German Alsace region where my ancestors are from (came to NA via the Odessa region under Russian rule).

There's a recipe in the family for fried sauerkraut strudel. My mom didn't get a chance to show me exactly how to make it before she passed, but my Aunt is going to... I know most of what's involved from my mom, I just need the specifics on the dough.

It's really thin basic dough stretched as far as you can take it (no butter or fat like a normal strudel). It would almost take up our whole dining room table once stretched. You roll it with fried sauerkraut, bacon, and onions. The rolls are then cut into dumpling size pieces and steamed / fried in a covered pan with a saltwater/shortening mixture. Eventually the dough absorbs the steam/water, and the shortening crisps up the bottom. By far my favourite of all the old family German dishes.

I lived near that region for about 6 months.  Baden Baden, West Germany (as it was known at the time).  

Great food and drink, and lots of pretty girls.  Ahhhh, yes indeed, I had a lot of fun.   😊

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I lived near that region for about 6 months.  Baden Baden, West Germany (as it was known at the time).  

Great food and drink, and lots of pretty girls.  Ahhhh, yes indeed, I had a lot of fun.   😊

Wow! I'd really like to go someday. I know a guy who played hockey in Strasbourg. He had similar things to say about the women.

3 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

The Germans figured out combined arms mobile warfare. That was a new concept. The Wehrmacht had some gifted generals at the time and the French high command were old arrogant men stuck in their ways. 

That is the truth. It took between 24-48 hours for orders from the French high command to reach the frontline in a war that featured tanks that could be 100 or more miles past that frontline by the time those orders got there.

• Like (+1) 1

Decided to quickly do the math: with 50 games remaining, Sabres need 64 points to get to 98 points. That's 1.28 pts/game aka 0.640 point%, so something like 6-3-1 every 10. Teams currently sitting 3rd in their divisions are between 0.625 and 0.656, so that's the kind of play required.

Not insurmountable given the last few weeks, the 7-2-1 Last 10 helped. WSH and NYR also going 7-2-1 in the last 10 didn't help. If the Sabres manage 14-15 points in the next 10, then it'll be interesting.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

For some reason, after reading your post on that mouth-watering recipe, I gained three pounds. 😄

• Haha (+1) 1

So the Sabres hit the holiday break eight points out of a wild-card slot as Washington roared into the break on a 9-1 burst, winning two games after Buffalo was left idle by the postponement. But the Sabres still have a lot on their side. 

Buffalo is eight points behind the Capitals – but with four games in hand. The Sabres are nine points behind the Rangers, with three games in hand, and six points behind the Islanders, also with three games in hand. 

In the Atlantic Division, they're seven points behind Tampa and games are even, so they lost a chance Friday to cut that deficit to five. The Sabres are tied in points in Florida but with three games in hand. The Panthers, who won the Presidents Trophy last year, look to be the one Atlantic team that is going to take a big fall now that it appears Boston, Toronto and Tampa Bay will be the likely 1-2-3 teams. 

The team to keep an eye on in the East is New Jersey. The flying Lindy Ruffs still have 46 points but they are sinking, going 3-6-2 in December and with none of the wins over current playoff teams. And their first three games after Christmas are against Boston, Pittsburgh and Carolina. 

The Sabres have won four straight and are 9-3-2 in their last 14. The next two games are against Columbus and Detroit before a tough road trip to Ottawa, Boston and Washington. 

https://buffalonews.com/sports/columns/inside-the-nhl-even-a-two-game-expansion-of-the-schedule-would-help-fix-some/article_f14a8a08-839b-11ed-a428-2bc0aa947e1c.html

• Like (+1) 2

I understand its fun to look at the current standings...how many points are they back, how many games in hand, etc. That is what we do as fans.

But to truly get a handle on their chances, to me its less about where they rank in the standings now and more about getting to a certain point level.  They get 93 points or less, they are likely out.  94-98 points, its a coin toss.  97 points or more, likely in.  

So for me, its more  matter of can they get to, or are they on pace for that 95+ points over 82 games.  They are behind that pace but currently not out of it.

• Agree 1

Devils have built a lead but they are not as good as their start was. 
Caps are old but riding the Ovi chase train.

Isles have Sorokin, could carry his team like Shesterkin did last year.

Sabres have to beat teams like these and Florida in head to head matchups.

We’re not dead yet and if they continue to play well, there will be meaningful games for  while.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...

There are 4 winnable home games coming up.  They are on a VERY condensed schedule, so winning them all is a ridiculously huge ask.

But IF tonight was the 1st game of a 5 game winning streak they will be on an NHL 0.600 pace (AKA, a near guaranteed playoff pace) through 40 games.

Not Friday, but pretty friggin' fantastic.

Get your rest these next 3 days boys and work on the MF'n PP.  It's obvious that is still rusty from the long layoff.  Wouldn't be surprised if they haven't had a chance to work on it at all since the break.

48 through 40 would be sweet.  And totally unexpected.  96 through 80, sure, but after 0-8-0 48 through 50 was pretty much unthinkable.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Amazing - Sabres are first in goals per game with 3.94.  The second place team is Boston with a 3.73.  Buffalo has the second best pp%.  It’s currently at 28.2.  The Sabres are 9-2-1 in their last 12.  This is a very fun team to watch.  Hope I’m not jinxing it,  but I’ll say it.  They are certainly in the playoff race.  One of the hotter teams in hockey right now. 

Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

• Like (+1) 4

On 1/4/2023 at 2:32 AM, GoPre said:

Amazing - Sabres are first in goals per game with 3.94.  The second place team is Boston with a 3.73.  Buffalo has the second best pp%.  It’s currently at 28.2.  The Sabres are 9-2-1 in their last 12.  This is a very fun team to watch.  Hope I’m not jinxing it,  but I’ll say it.  They are certainly in the playoff race.  One of the hotter teams in hockey right now. 

Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

Bill Hader Snl GIF

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

If only we had adequate goaltending.....

Jeff Marek had an interesting observation on our goalies.

Starts since Comrie went down

• UPL: @was, @Bos, @Veg @Col, @Pit, @tor, Det, SJ, Cbs, Col, TB, Stl
  • Anderson: @Det, @ari @Ott, @Mon, LA, Pit, NJ

Donnie has deployed Upie like a full-fledged #1: a majority of the games and virtually all the tough ones.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Donnie has deployed Upie like a full-fledged #1: a majority of the games and virtually all the tough ones.

And he's got a better record in those games than Andy.  This is, I think, precisely what Kevyn was hoping for with Comrie.

I still have hope for Comrie coming in and battling for, and earning, ice time with the other two goalies.  If we could have the current UPL and a competent Comrie as 1A and 1B next season, and a bit more experience on defense, continued output from the Tage line and consistent scoring from the Cozens line.... wow we'll be good.

I would love to see a rolling average of Buffalo goalie stats for this season.  I think it would show that they've got excellent goaltending except for during the 8 game losing streak when nothing on the team was working anyway.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.