Are the Sabres out of the running for the playoffs?

inkman

Are the Sabres out of the playoff race?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Sabres out of the playoff race

• Yes
    • No

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

7 points behind Washington with 4 games in hand.  If all teams win their games in hand, Buffalo is still behind Pittsburgh but passes Washington, Florida and NYI.

With their games in hand they're likely to pass FLA and NYI and are basically neck-and-neck with the Caps.  And the Sabres are marginally better over the last 10 games compared to Pitt and Wash.

As @dudacekhas pointed out Florida is starting to get settled and are stringing wins together. I don't see us finishing ahead of them. However, the Sabres are capable of passing the other teams you mentioned. Sometime soon, the Sabres need to get a winning streak together to better position us for an end of the season serious playoff run. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

As @dudacekhas pointed out Florida is starting to get settled and are stringing wins together. I don't see us finishing ahead of them. However, the Sabres are capable of passing the other teams you mentioned. Sometime soon, the Sabres need to get a winning streak together to better position us for an end of the season serious playoff run. 

Really believe they've got another win streak in them, but wouldn't be surprised if we don't see it before the AS break.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

Time for some defensive help for this team. They are close enough to getting there for Adams to try and improve them! 

When was the last meaningful NHL trade made this season? So since say October 15th what was the last trade that saw meaningful players go in a deal?

2 hours ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

Time for some defensive help for this team. They are close enough to getting there for Adams to try and improve them! 

Just saw a tweet from Lance Lysowski.  No rentals, no overpayments, no rushing things.  If GMKA does anything, it will be a hockey trade.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

When was the last meaningful NHL trade made this season? So since say October 15th what was the last trade that saw meaningful players go in a deal?

Agree, it just isn’t there. 
TSN trade tracker makes it quick and easy to review. 

https://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre/trade-tracker

Looks like Ethan Bear is the only NHL defenseman traded all year. He’s been surprisingly alright as a 4 D (although TOI has been reduced 2-3 min from his season average each of the last five games).

That’s it.

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Really believe they've got another win streak in them, but wouldn't be surprised if we don't see it before the AS break.

I agree with you that the Sabres have the ability to go on another winning streak. However, the margin of error is small. Losing to teams that they should win, and having a bad spell that lasts for more than 5 games or so, will make their task even more challenging, if not out of reach. 

Prior to the season, I predicted that the Sabres would earn 90 pts and stay in the playoff race up to the end of the season. I'm hoping that I will be proven wrong but they appear to be in the vicinity of where I thought they would be. Taking a broader perspective it is safe to say that this team is on an upward trajectory. 

15 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I think this works in the Sabres favour. The reason no deals have been made is most of the league has no cap space. The Sabres have it and should be able to make a deal if they want to. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Marvin said:

Just checked the standings.  We are tied for 9th.  3 games in hand on the other teams in 9th and Washington in 7th.  We are 3 points behind Pittsburgh and level in games.

Pittsburgh is going to have one or two things happen...they are going to keep showing their age and this will start the decline of that franchise due to age, or they will start picking up the pace on points due to buckling down for a playoff run.  Hard to say with them, they have been kinda "meh" all year long but have a lot of good players albeit old ones.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.