Are the Sabres out of the running for the playoffs?

inkman

Are the Sabres out of the playoff race?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Sabres out of the playoff race

• Yes
    • No

They can still make it, but the odds are not favorable and it will be very, very close.

It will also be very exciting, because 'making it' means that from now on, they will have to win a lot more than they lose - and they are, at long last, a likable team. A playoff push this year could/would be the spark that finally brings the fanbase back to life and makes hockey fun again in WNY. 

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Skibum said:

They can still make it, but the odds are not favorable and it will be very, very close.

It will also be very exciting, because 'making it' means that from now on, they will have to win a lot more than they lose - and they are, at long last, a likable team. A playoff push this year could/would be the spark that finally brings the fanbase back to life and makes hockey fun again in WNY. 

Welcome back!

4 hours ago, JustOneParade said:

I worry about Power's effectiveness later in this season if he has to play the kind of minutes he has been of late for much longer. (Bad sentence structure?). I realize he's young but its also his first full NHL season. Is 'the Rookie Wall' real? Need guys to get back in the lineup soon.

2 comments more or less directly from Power's mouth.

1.  He prefers getting more minutes as it keeps him focused in the game.  He wants 25+ every night.

2.  The toughest part of playing on the NHL is trying to get fully rested between the games.  Playing every other night is a huge transition from 2 games every weekend.

Expect he will hit that "rookie wall" but not convinced we'll notice.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I don't know how anybody isn't a current fan of this current Sabres team and talking about the 23-24 season.

We have had other Buffalo guys on the team before but there is something so much more Buffalo about Tuch, and talking about Mogilny or what it is like to wear the goat head jersey he grew up with. Then add in a guy like Tage who might be the Sabres Josh Allen. All the measurables and one day woke up an NHL superstar. 

At the rate this team is scoring goals and our goal differential, this is the most fun hockey has been in this city in a decade. 

Enjoy the ride. Go Swords!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I think this team makes the playoffs. 

If everyone stays healthy and the three-headed monster in net continues to play above average, then I say no they still don't make the playoffs.

Too much youth, they'll hit a wall in the second-half and go through a losing streak or two which will doom their playoff hopes.

And that's OK.

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

If everyone stays healthy and the three-headed monster in net continues to play above average, then I say no they still don't make the playoffs.

Too much youth, they'll hit a wall in the second-half and go through a losing streak or two which will doom their playoff hopes.

And that's OK.

One thing I was thinking about was how Meatballs could manage Power’s minutes so he doesn’t hit the “rookie wall.” And I firmly believe that the rookie wall is a thing…especially for a defenseman.  But that’s probably going to require an acquisition and health among the rest of the D corps.  

I don’t want Power nudged out of the top four, but if the goal of this season has changed and it is playoffs or bust, the Sabres will absolutely need another top four D brought in via trade (to manage Power’s minutes more effectively). 

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

And that's OK.

Since 2000 the highest point differential to not make the playoffs was the 06-07 Av's at +21. Recently the Rangers and Knights missed it at +20 and +18. Missing the playoffs with a positive diff happens, normally a team or two per year and under +10. Rarely does a team in the high teens miss.

If the Sabres (+18 as of today) just maintain their current rate through the season and finish middle of the pack (.500), they'll likely be around +30 or more. That would be insane to miss the playoffs at +30 or better. 

35 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

One thing I was thinking about was how Meatballs could manage Power’s minutes so he doesn’t hit the “rookie wall.” And I firmly believe that the rookie wall is a thing…especially for a defenseman.  But that’s probably going to require an acquisition and health among the rest of the D corps.  

I don’t want Power nudged out of the top four, but if the goal of this season has changed and it is playoffs or bust, the Sabres will absolutely need another top four D brought in via trade (to manage Power’s minutes more effectively). 

Would put money on it that the goal hasn't become playoffs or bust THIS season.  (Much to all our chagrin.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

On 12/18/2022 at 2:03 PM, nfreeman said:

I'd really like to see some more wins against quality opponents.  2 wins in the 3 games vs Vegas, TB and Boston would be great.

Well, there’s one big one against Vegas, and it being their first W while scoring 3 or less is imo a nice way to do it. 

• Like (+1) 2

It’s Christmas week and I just checked the yahoo sports app to see what teams did around the league (to see if the Sabres got any help tonight). 

That’s new for me. I kind of loved it.  

The Pens v Rangers avoided a three point night. Nice!

Carolina v Jersey isn’t relevant at this point (but no three point game). Leafs v Tampa also ended in regulation.

Flyers and Jackets aren’t relevant to Buff looking up. And Ottawa lost.  

Not super impactful, but we will take tonight’s results!

• Like (+1) 5

Giving me pause now is that the first WC spot, and the 3rd place div team, are 7 points out of reach. Unlikely we can both make up that required ground and then stay there. So, while WC2 is certainly in reach, it might be the only attainable spot with plenty of teams fighting for it, including Florida who I bet improves. 

That’s what is working against them. But the team looks good. And that’s the biggest factor. I don’t know if they’ll beat out all the teams chasing for 8th, in combination, but if I had to pick one team of the bunch, I’d take Buffalo as the favourites to snag it.

Edited by Thorny

IMHO it's way too early in the season to worry about what other teams are doing.  The Sabres just need to keep winning and climb as many games over Deluca .500 as possible, and the rest will take care of itself.

As I've said a few times now, the Sabres have a great opportunity to go into Boston on 12/31 with a chance to be 2 games over Deluca .500 on New Year's day.  If they can pull that off, they can absolutely get to 5 games over by the end of the season, and if they do that, dear reader, I guaran-dam-tee that they will make the playoffs, regardless of what Florida, the Rangers or anyone else does.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

IMHO it's way too early in the season to worry about what other teams are doing.  The Sabres just need to keep winning and climb as many games over Deluca .500 as possible, and the rest will take care of itself.

As I've said a few times now, the Sabres have a great opportunity to go into Boston on 12/31 with a chance to be 2 games over Deluca .500 on New Year's day.  If they can pull that off, they can absolutely get to 5 games over by the end of the season, and if they do that, dear reader, I guaran-dam-tee that they will make the playoffs, regardless of what Florida, the Rangers or anyone else does.

5 games over a DeLuca 0.500 for this team this year is 89-91 points.

Will guar-an-dam-tee that 91 ponts WON'T be enough for the playoffs.

25 minutes ago, Taro T said:

5 games over a DeLuca 0.500 for this team this year is 89-91 points.

Will guar-an-dam-tee that 91 ponts WON'T be enough for the playoffs.

OK, Mr. fancy theories.  How about a gentlemen’s charity bet over whether, if they finish 5 over DeLuca .500, they make the playoffs?

On 12/20/2022 at 3:12 PM, pi2000 said:

And that's OK.

Nope. They're making the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Not since the summer of '44.   

Think you mean '40

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.