Jump to content

Cal Peterson on Waivers


nfreeman
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

Here's someone who definitely fails the "wants to be here" test.

But he is a goalie who was 20-14-2 last year on a lousy Kings team, so...

I'm sure that he's been in the league long enough to understand that it is a business. If he gets picked up by team where he will be play, he should be happy with that outcome. I'm not sure that our GM would be interested in him because it is likely that Comrie will return to play in a week or so. I would be receptive to getting him and sending UPL back down to Rochester. How much better would our record be with solid to good goaltending? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Hmm, spurned Sabres in the past & has 2 more years after this one at $5MM/yr.

Magic 8 Ball, will Kevyn Adams make a claim?  Sources say 'no.'

As you point out without even discussing Peterson's play, his salary and remaining term make it unlikely that KA would have any interest in him. However, an interesting discussion can be made about whether acquiring him would improve our goaltending, at least for the short term. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the one hand, $5M is way too much for the Effective, Efficient, and Economical model Sabres to pay on goaltending. The Sabres haven't paid that much for their goaltending tandem since 2017-18 (Lehner, Johnson for $6.5M). On the other hand, they just claimed Jost off waivers for $2M, which was over twice what Sheahan was making. The cap is not an issue.

If you claim him, it's the ultimate "change of scenery"/"doesn't want to be here" test. The change of scenery to Buffalo might get him back on his game. And if he doesn't want to play here, but wants to make an NHL salary, then his best bet is to play well and then the Sabres can trade him anywhere he wants to go. Heck, they can even retain salary and send him to a contender if his numbers turn around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Hmm, spurned Sabres in the past & has 2 more years after this one at $5MM/yr.

Magic 8 Ball, will Kevyn Adams make a claim?  Sources say 'no.'

Yikes.  I didn't know about the contract when I posted the thread.  I think we're firmly in NFW territory on this one.

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

On the one hand, $5M is way too much for the Effective, Efficient, and Economical model Sabres to pay on goaltending. The Sabres haven't paid that much for their goaltending tandem since 2017-18 (Lehner, Johnson for $6.5M). On the other hand, they just claimed Jost off waivers for $2M, which was over twice what Sheahan was making. The cap is not an issue.

If you claim him, it's the ultimate "change of scenery"/"doesn't want to be here" test. The change of scenery to Buffalo might get him back on his game. And if he doesn't want to play here, but wants to make an NHL salary, then his best bet is to play well and then the Sabres can trade him anywhere he wants to go. Heck, they can even retain salary and send him to a contender if his numbers turn around.

He's signed for this yr, next yr, and the next year. He's signed through 2025.

  • Thanks (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He's signed for this yr, next yr, and the next year. He's signed through 2025.

I was just trying to put some sort of positive spinning on it. (It's a good trick.)

I don't think we have to worry about a Petersen claim. The cost, term, M-NTC, already didn't sign already once before, poor stats and trending worse year-by-year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is up to GMKA and Mike Bales.  If GMKA is thinking about it, he then needs to consult the goaltending coach to see if what ails Petersen can be fixed.

Personally, I would rather give Subban and Houser a chance instead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...