Attendance issues at whatever our arena is named now

#freejame

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

But they are. 

Look, the 2 sports are very different with different dynamics so it's hard to draw a total comparison but the one position in football that can totally shift a team's fortune is QB. Look at the Steelers without Roethlisberger. Absolute rubbish.  Look what Brady did for Tampa (before he over stayed his age). Who are the two franchise QBs in the AFC? Mahones and your guy and surprise surprise, they're the best 2 teams. Take the QBs away and those teams are not in any way the same. 

In hockey, the one position that can totally shift a team's fortunes is goalie. Any Buffalo fan should be well aware of that fact after the Hasek years no? 

As for the culture, well I've been talking about that for years and years and have often been mocked for it on this board. I was one of the first to say we needed to tear down and move on from the tandem bike duo. We finally did. I think in Pegula terms more out of exhaustion with them rather than a great new plan. "Build with the draft" hardly a new or revolutionary idea.

When a goalie is down by a goal with 2 minutes left and leads a game winning rush, get back to me. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

When a goalie makes a huge save to keep your team in it, or to preserve a one goal victory, you can admit you just like to argue with me even when you know I'm right. 

That's defense. QBs are offense. You need both.

This discussion began when I said the Sabres were NOT a full tear down. You said ridding the team of Eichel, Reinhart and Ristolainen was a full tear down. But I countered that keeping Dahlin, Tage, Oki, Mitts, Skinner, etc. proves it wasn't a full tear down because these players are now leading the team inside of one year.  A tear down means emptying the cupboards. We didn't do that.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This discussion began when I said the Sabres were NOT a full tear down. You said ridding the team of Eichel, Reinhart and Ristolainen was a full tear down. But I countered that keeping Dahlin, Tage, Oki, Mitts, Skinner, etc. proves it wasn't a full tear down because these players are now leading the team inside of one year.  A tear down means emptying the cupboards. We didn't do that.

Their ENTIRE starting 6 left (for varying reasons, but at the end of the day they were all gone).  Those weren't the only guys not returning.  It most certainly was a tear down.

Not all tear downs result in last place finishes.  Sometimes they are actually effective.  The Bills in '17 & '18 were in a tear down and it was successful.

The Sabres were in their 3rd in about 8 years in the end of '21 & through that summer.  So far, it looks like it will be successful, but that is by no means a given.

A TANK means emptying the cupboards.  A tear down means replacing (a significant portion of, or in this case all of) the guys that are getting the significant minutes and are what's identified by pretty much everyone not affiliated with the team as the key people.

Would you say what happened in '95 wasn't a tear down because Hasek & LaFontaine weren't punted when pretty much every other vet was?  If so, you're pretty much the only one.  And if you agree that was a tear down, how is it in any way significantly different than when Muckler was told to work with an austerity budget rather than the 3rd highest salary in the league?

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

To the first sentence, the two sports are different, very different. The comparison of goalie and QB is because those are the two players that single handedly can change a team's fortunes. They have the most impact. 

As for the teardown, you know they would have ditched Skinner if they could so it hardly counts. They kept the young players who weren't broken yet. They ditched the "stars". That's a tear down. 

• Agree 2

Putting a period on my part of this conversation. I'm not going to know what the ultimate price would have ended up. The whole trip got cancelled, couldn't put it together with the other party they were meeting with so they bagged it for now. I'm sure they will meet with them again at some point, maybe they try again. The sales rep did call back late last week after the decision to bag the trip was made but idk what the content of the call was. Likely nothing since it didn't matter anymore, they weren't going regardless.

Unless this team shows some consistency in a good way this arena is going to be a ghost town. having bad teams come to town and you lay an egg is not going to help the Sabres cause. I think even with a full roster we would have lost last night. They kids need to grow up and it is going to take some time and some tweaks. This roster is not going to make the playoffs without some grit and physicality and someone that is will to go in front of the net on offense and really be able to defensively clear out own net (without putting the puck in it!) 

2 hours ago, OverPowerYou said:

Does anyone think we will see close to sellout with an opportunity to boo Eichel coming up? 

Hopefully, but I don't think a totaly full house.  The "Lets boo Eichel game" to me was a one time thing. As each game goes by against Vegas, the booing and wanting to be there to boo might still be there a bit, but it will drop off as each game against them goes by.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

Unless this team shows some consistency in a good way this arena is going to be a ghost town. having bad teams come to town and you lay an egg is not going to help the Sabres cause. I think even with a full roster we would have lost last night. They kids need to grow up and it is going to take some time and some tweaks. This roster is not going to make the playoffs without some grit and physicality and someone that is will to go in front of the net on offense and really be able to defensively clear out own net (without putting the puck in it!) 

Glad Okposo got the 'C', but its also a good thing he wasn't extended.  He may still come around I'm not ruling it out, but in the small sample size it appears his play has declined this year. 

I agree 100% with the kids growing up.  In no way am I advocating taking them out of the lineup, but Krebs and Quinn need a lot of work and have to get stronger or learn to win battles (they are awful at that now).  Peterka is better than I thought. Cozens play and positioning is awful in the D-zone.  Power is good overall but makes 1 or 2 really awful plays per game.  Hopefully they will get better as the season goes on and that will make the team overall a lot better.

This team needs to stay near or above .500 WHILE putting the puck in the net alot. If they can do that by the time the Bills season is over, I'm hopefull the weekend games at least will be close to a full house.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Glad Okposo got the 'C', but its also a good thing he wasn't extended.  He may still come around I'm not ruling it out, but in the small sample size it appears his play has declined this year. 

I agree 100% with the kids growing up.  In no way am I advocating taking them out of the lineup, but Krebs and Quinn need a lot of work and have to get stronger or learn to win battles (they are awful at that now).  Peterka is better than I thought. Cozens play and positioning is awful in the D-zone.  Power is good overall but makes 1 or 2 really awful plays per game.  Hopefully they will get better as the season goes on and that will make the team overall a lot better.

This team needs to stay near or above .500 WHILE putting the puck in the net alot. If they can do that by the time the Bills season is over, I'm hopefull the weekend games at least will be close to a full house.

...and that is a problem.  If KO has hit the brick wall, there is no way they can sit down their Captain as a healthy scratch.

9 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

...and that is a problem.  If KO has hit the brick wall, there is no way they can sit down their Captain as a healthy scratch.

Just how much of a 'team player' is he? Does/will he realize if he isn't playing well. If the answers to those things are positive, a 'nagging injury' is something that can get him out of the lineup evey now and then.

13 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Just how much of a 'team player' is he? Does/will he realize if he isn't playing well. If the answers to those things are positive, a 'nagging injury' is something that can get him out of the lineup evey now and then.

Not sure what message that would send to the team, when the captain decides his play is sub-par, and removes himself from the lineup.

Based on the loss last night, I am selling the Vegas and Boston games. The thrill is already gone and I have no interest to sit there while we get blown out of the building. If a season ticket holder who actually posts on a message board is feeling this way, how do you think the regular fan is feeling? THat building will be empty for at least another year.

Just now, CallawaySabres said:

Based on the loss last night, I am selling the Vegas and Boston games. The thrill is already gone and I have no interest to sit there while we get blown out of the building. If a season ticket holder who actually posts on a message board is feeling this way, how do you think the regular fan is feeling? THat building will be empty for at least another year.

Uh oh...be prepared to be reprimanded.  This type of poor fan behavior will result in WNY ending up with an AHL franchise. 😈

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Not sure what message that would send to the team, when the captain decides his play is sub-par, and removes himself from the lineup.

it might be a good message.  If the team is busting their butts out there, and most of them would probably see that he isn't playing up to how he should be....if both of those things are true I think the rest of the team would WANT that change to be made.

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

Hopefully, but I don't think a totaly full house.  The "Lets boo Eichel game" to me was a one time thing. As each game goes by against Vegas, the booing and wanting to be there to boo might still be there a bit, but it will drop off as each game against them goes by.

Seriously, who pays to go boo a player? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I actually think we have a new rival. If there was one game I’d pick to go to this year it’d be this one. Unfortunately I can’t make it 

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

They lose 5 in a row, 3 straight at home, the GM sits in his hands watching the team circle the drain and people are wondering why no one is going to games?  

Rinse, wash, repeat.  

Nobody is going?  The last 2 games had very close to a full barn.

Attendance is still worse than a normal year but not nearly as significantly as last year except for 2 games so far.  But between '79 & '06, attendance was always worse in the fall than after the calendar flip.  Attendance will pick up late January/ February and will be better next year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.