Attendance issues at whatever our arena is named now

#freejame

18 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Last regime?  Last time I looked, they have the same owner who made the comment. 

Sorry.. I typed without editing myself. I meant the comment was more about the prior regime and its unwillingness to spend money.

17 hours ago, Pimlach said:

No on the bolded. You not tracking me at all.  Of course the schedule is independent of weather.  My thought is make all Saturday matinees “kids day” with special pricing, giveaways, and special events.  Grow fans. 

The rest of your tome is about counting tickets.  I am pointing out that the people in attendance is typically much less than actual seats sold.  Thus is a problem.  

Paying for a seat and not using it, or being able to re-sell the ticket, or even give it away -  these are problems.   These are list opportunities at best, snd detachment of the potential fan base more importantly.   

Now I am tracking with you and appreciate your clarity.  I would agree with you on the marketing.

The attendance will always be less or equal but almost always likely to be less as in any given sample set of 16,000 (just using that number) there are going to be people who don't show up.

Not being able to give away a ticket isn't always as bad as you think.  Some people don't bother with online marketplaces and simply talk to a few friends.. and if they are busy then the ticket goes unused.  In addition, in today's economy, the number of people who want to pony up any amount of money for a game has to be down. Look at the amount of layoffs occurring, inflation, etc. Even slightly irresponsible people know that buying a ticket to a sporting event isn't the best choice.

• Thanks (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

Per the Athletic, the Sabres have the lowest home attendance % at 71.5% capacity. Relevant portion of article below:

Buffalo Sabres: 3,533 fewer fans/game (20.6 percent decrease)

The Sabres are one of the biggest fallers probably due to a combination of things. The biggest one: They’re just not that good (yet), and they haven’t been for some time. 

They’re in the midst of another rebuilding effort after selling off players like Jack Eichel, Sam Reinhart and Taylor Hall, among others. 

The Buffalo Bills being so good and commanding a lot of the attention likely hasn’t helped. And the KeyBank Center is pretty stale, too. 

We asked our Sabres writer, Matt Fairburn, for his take on the dip in attendance to ensure we weren’t way off here. 

“I think the season ticket base has also eroded over time. That’s made the prices on the secondary market higher because there aren’t as many fans just trying to unload tickets at any cost,” he said. “They sold out the Boston game and had big crowds a few other nights, including ’90s night against the Blues. But ultimately I just think them being so bad for so long has made people slow to buy in.”

From 2006-07 to 2019-20, the Sabres were consistently an upper-tier attendance team with an average that never dipped below 17,000 fans. But their 71.5 percent capacity for home games this season is dead last in the league. 

3 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Per the Athletic, the Sabres have the lowest home attendance % at 71.5% capacity. Relevant portion of article below:

The Sabres are one of the biggest fallers probably due to a combination of things. The biggest one: They’re just not that good (yet), and they haven’t been for some time. 

They’re in the midst of another rebuilding effort after selling off players like Jack Eichel, Sam Reinhart and Taylor Hall, among others. 

The Buffalo Bills being so good and commanding a lot of the attention likely hasn’t helped. And the KeyBank Center is pretty stale, too. 

We asked our Sabres writer, Matt Fairburn, for his take on the dip in attendance to ensure we weren’t way off here. 

“I think the season ticket base has also eroded over time. That’s made the prices on the secondary market higher because there aren’t as many fans just trying to unload tickets at any cost,” he said. “They sold out the Boston game and had big crowds a few other nights, including ’90s night against the Blues. But ultimately I just think them being so bad for so long has made people slow to buy in.”

From 2006-07 to 2019-20, the Sabres were consistently an upper-tier attendance team with an average that never dipped below 17,000 fans. But their 71.5 percent capacity for home games this season is dead last in the league. 

Wonder if the Bandits will outdraw them again this year.

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

Is that drop vs last season or vs prepandemic #'s or some other baseline?

Find it hard to believe it's vs last year as they only had really really good home attendance in 3 games plus the Heritage Claasic (which was a "home" game, wink, wink) and attendance was worse in October & November overall last year w/ the border still effectively closed.

There is a bigger STH base this year than last.

If it is vs last year, that's a pretty good indication that the "Bills effect" is real & attendance will pick up come February.

26 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Is that drop vs last season or vs prepandemic #'s or some other baseline?

Find it hard to believe it's vs last year as they only had really really good home attendance in 3 games plus the Heritage Claasic (which was a "home" game, wink, wink) and attendance was worse in October & November overall last year w/ the border still effectively closed.

There is a bigger STH base this year than last.

If it is vs last year, that's a pretty good indication that the "Bills effect" is real & attendance will pick up come February.

They are comparing to 2019, the last pre-COVID season.

Numbers are way up already over last year, despite the Bills effect: 13,634 compared to 9,997.

https://theathletic.com/3973879/2022/12/07/nhl-attendance-stadium-tickets/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193749/regular-season-home-attendance-of-national-hockey-league-teams-in-2010/

1st link is paywalled.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

They are comparing to 2019, the last pre-COVID season.

Numbers are way up already over last year, despite the Bills effect: 13,634 compared to 9,997.

https://theathletic.com/3973879/2022/12/07/nhl-attendance-stadium-tickets/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193749/regular-season-home-attendance-of-national-hockey-league-teams-in-2010/

1st link is paywalled.

Like mentioned, it didn't make any sense for it to be vs last year.

Vs '19, oh yeah, absolutely believe it.

Danke.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.