Update:Bear Traded to Vancouver

Brawndo

47 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

A Fourth Round Pick would be a good use of an asset

Adams should do this. Bear is an RFA and young enough to be useful beyond this season. Further, we can see the limits of Fitzgerald and at worse you get a better version of him. 

• Like (+1) 2

Whether it is Bear or any other player not already in the organization, I think GMKA needs to improve the D-man corp. with proven NHL talent.  Getting Boosh was a good step, but IMHO we seriously lack RHD depth in our organization and I don't want to see the org wait another 2 or 3 years to draft and develop when the need is present day.  Joki on my roster is a 3rd pair guy and Fitz is at best a "tweener" between the AHL and NHL.

35 minutes ago, shrader said:

Cap space.  $2.2 million is a lot for a guy who isn't playing on a team that is at the cap.

Yeah, but what is their urgency to gain that cap space TODAY?  They don't need it right now. They probably aren't making another move at this point. If they move Bear now for cap space to use in the future then they lose a D man they won't have gained anything. I'm not saying they won't ultimately deal Bear, but there's no reason for them to at this time.

Edited by Contempt

I'm not sure this team needs to spend much to aquire another D-man for now, other than for depth.

Have the guys on the back end played perfectly? of course not. Do you want your 3rd pair guys (Bryson, Fitz) to be better at getting the puck out of the zone?  Sure.  And you want depth because if you have one more injury back there then you are in real trouble. But, watching every game this year and going back and looking at all the goals allowed, none of the D-men, even the guys at the back end of the rotation, have really played that poorly in ways that have cost this team goals.

Bad luck/bounces, forwards being out of position, young guys (Krebs and Peterka) losing battles on the boards and giveaways by them...those are the things that have led to most of the goals against.  I'd say Forward play and positioning in the D-zone is a much, MUCH larger issue in terms of the goals allowed compared to what the D-men have caused.

You want to play the young guys up front, you are going to have to put up with them making mistakes until they learn positioning better or learn how to battle on the boards better in their own zone.  Getting another Depth D-man will not fix that.  I've said it in other threads, but Dahlin has hardly ever been out of position. Power is a bit slow to react sometimes but he isn't awful. Lyubuskin has been an absolute rock in terms of his positioning. And the young guys haven't made terrible positioning mistakes. The back end is holding up pretty well compared to the Forwards.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Thanks (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Contempt said:

Yeah, but what is their urgency to gain that cap space TODAY?  They don't need it right now. They probably aren't making another move at this point. If they move Bear now for cap space to use in the future then they lose a D man they won't have gained anything. I'm not saying they won't ultimately deal Bear, but there's no reason for them to at this time.

Cap space saved today accumulates over the course of the year and can be used later.  If you spend half the year with $2 million in free space, you can add a $4 million player the rest of the way.  So moving him now would give them a good amount of wiggle room come deadline time.

1 minute ago, shrader said:

Cap space saved today accumulates over the course of the year and can be used later.  If you spend half the year with $2 million in free space, you can add a $4 million player the rest of the way.  So moving him now would give them a good amount of wiggle room come deadline time.

Provided they stay healthy.  Everybody, healthy or not, counts towards the cap.  Of course, having a team cap hit $2MM lower increases the likelihood there is something bankable even if injuries do hit.

Our D group still stinks in preventing shots on goal.  They were 10th worst last season and so far thus year we are the 4th worst.  Of the 3 below us, Ana, AZ and Pitt, Ana and Az have combined for only 3 wins so far.  

This is just one indication that what we have on D isn’t working. Injuries, youth, lack of depth are all factors, but one of these factors, depth, can be addressed now and it should be.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Contempt said:

Bank up cap space for a deadline deal 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.