Sabres unveil goathead reverse retro

LGR4GM

56 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Nah cant beat the slug for fugly..  but maybe second worst.

Actually if this had been the color scheme and not black and red, I might have gone for the goathead.  Actually I wouldn't have, but it would have been less painful.

I'm actually okay with this reverse retro.  I acknowledge the criticisms but the overall effect is fine.  Let's see how it looks in game play.

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

who came up with this bright idea it looks like a fan make up

Ever gaze upon Matt Pegula's gems?  I still can't wipe those atrocities from my memory.  The last vision before I move on from this world will be a giant version of that "puck" bearing down on me. 

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

FWIW - that mostly white look is de rigueur. I don’t think we’re the targeted demographic.

I had to look that one up.   It doesn't mean anything is targeted to a demographic; it means that the design is as expected.  

Edited by Pimlach

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

At first glance, I was absolutely:

But now looking at it for a few minutes and finding other images other than the video, I'm starting to back off that opinion.  I'm starting to sort of like, but it's not everything it could be.  Maybe the full kit will look sharp.  But if you don't like this jersey, depending on your reason why, be warned you may not like the black thirds coming...

Bad:

1. The yellow sleeve ends are bleh.  It may be the lighting in the video, but they look dingy.  [The image below straightens this out; it was the lighting in the video.]
  2. If you go with a mostly white jersey, especially all-white yoke with no shoulder patches, you do it to for a clean look (see 50th anniversary jerseys).  The sleeves ruin the clean look.  So they didn't want to go this route.  So if not going for clean... why no shoulder patches?  Cost savings?
  3. The point of the stripe on the under side of the arms on the original jerseys was to make the jersey body fabric look like a buffalo head shape.  A different color stripe ruins this effect and becomes pointless.  [The OG blacks suffered from this.]
  4. So it's clear the route they chose was to do a blue/gold color inversion of the OG black jerseys (not the whites, because there's no yoke).
  5. Similarly, the side-body chevron don't extend to the front and rear enough at the bottom of the jersey to help form the chin of the buffalo head shape.  Nor does it extend up to the armpit.  So the hidden buffalo head shape is gone.  This may have been forced by the oversized crest or by trying to be cheap on manufacturing more complex fabric shapes.
    1. The bigger problem is I'm betting Adidas does the same thing for our black thirds.
    2. I bet Adidas has tooled their fabric cutting and sewing for the thirds and used it for this jersey.  This doesn't affect fabric color, but affects what fabric shapes are stitched together.
    3. You can see the extra seam in the gold sleeve fabric for where the gray is going to go at the end of the sleeve on the black thirds.
    4. You can see the extra seam in the gold fabric on the body sides for where the gray will go on the black thirds.
    5. You can see that the yoke fabric doesn't come down over the shoulder with curved edges like the old CCM jerseys, meaning that you don't get a curved top part of a horn shape on the sleeve.
  6. This doesn't evoke much nostalgia in me.
  7. This is now the worst jersey to incorporate the Buffalo head crest on the chest, but it's not super-bad.

Good:

1. They tried and seemingly listened to fan response from last year.
  2. No gray with the blue/gold.
  3. Oversized crest is boss.
  4. I appreciate the OG font- the nameplates and rear numbers are going to look good.
  5. They didn't perfect the clean look, but at least they didn't put numbers on the front to make it more busy.  It's a relatively simple jersey, which works in its favor.
  6. Again, depending on the full kit, this could look pretty sharp.
  7. Using yellow as the outside border of the crest is risky, but for a "fun" jersey, it does pop.
  8. I haven't looked at the other reverse retros for this year yet, but I'm betting this is far from the worst.
  9. This could be considered the white counter part to the black thirds coming, except with blue and gold.  Gives Buffalo a few different looks to play in.
  10. This is not in the bottom rankings of Buffalo jerseys all-time.

NHL posted a better image:

cut.jpg

For comparison, the OG:

notWebP

Looking the other Reverse Retro jerseys for this year, and holy hell did we luck out.

https://theathletic.com/3711004/2022/10/20/nhl-reverse-retro-jerseys-2022-rankings/

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, postseasonblues said:

Some people need to readjust their grades on a curve.

cut.jpg

My tiers...
AWESOME: MIN, SJS, COL
I LIKE IT: BUF, SEA, NJ, STL, NYR, DAL, VAN, WPG
NEUTRAL: FLA, MTL, DET, CAL, TBL, BOS, CAR, CHI, WSH, CBJ, VGK, PIT, LAK
NOT DIGGING IT: EDM, NSH, AZC, NYI, ANA
WHAT'S THE DIFERENCE?: PHL, TOR, OTT

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I had to look that one up.   It doesn't mean anything is targeted to a demographic; it means that the design is as expected.  

I didn’t use it as you suggest.

I used it to observe that it’s in-line with current fashion — “clean,” as the high school boys whom I drive to practice say … so, yes: Targeted to those who are about that style.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.