It's time to abandon derivatives of "Must Win" in game day threads

#freejame

This may be a controversial opinion, but it's time to abandon variations of "Must Win" in game day threads. They are the greatest constant during our run of futility and it's time it's left in the past. If there was ever a horse that was beat to death, it's posters commenting Mustard Wegmans and the ilk in game day threads. We haven't had a must win game in 10+ years and that's obviously part of the joke. If people are as optimistic as they say they are, let's leave our old traditions of essentially mocking ourselves and move forward.

/rant

Edited by #freejame
*grammar
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, #freejame said:

This may be a controversial opinion, but it's time to abandon variations of "Must Win" in game day threads. They are the greatest constant during our run of futility and it's time it's left in the past. If there was ever a horse that was beat to death, it's posters commented Mustard Wegmans and the ilk in game day threads. We haven't had a must win game in 10+ years and that's obviously part of the joke. If people are as optimistic as they say they are, let's leave our old traditions of essentially mocking ourselves and move forward.

/rant

Right on !!

I never liked the variations, but some were funny.

1 hour ago, Contempt said:

They are the same old Sabres until they aren't. That distinction must be earned, not wished for. In other words. Must Win.

Agree. Also, nothing we do will change the outcome of games. It's up to them.

Edited by SwampD

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

And then some noob will ask what that means and it will be all Malodorous Wankers again.

Maybe we need to start a noobie dictionary thread for the sites’ abbreviations, contractions and other terms of art.

for example:  DG or DM or Donnie Meatball = HC Don Granato  

14 hours ago, #freejame said:

This may be a controversial opinion, but it's time to abandon variations of "Must Win" in game day threads. They are the greatest constant during our run of futility and it's time it's left in the past. If there was ever a horse that was beat to death, it's posters commenting Mustard Wegmans and the ilk in game day threads. We haven't had a must win game in 10+ years and that's obviously part of the joke. If people are as optimistic as they say they are, let's leave our old traditions of essentially mocking ourselves and move forward.

/rant

Mediocre whining. That's good isn't it?

• Haha (+1) 1

I agree there never really is a 'must win'...unless it is used inside of a particularly defined context:

-When facing an elimination game in the playoffs, a 'must win' would determine whether your season ends or not.

-when facing your magic number to elimination, that becomes a 'must win' in the regular season to determine if you make the playoffs or not.

-when playing a game while riding a 4 or 5 game losing streak, a 'must win' would be a game that determines the sanity level of much of your fanbase.

Again, no game is ever a 'must win' unless you define what the consequences are.  Those can be different for many people, which is why the phrase gets used alot.

Personally, I don't think I hardly even use that phrase on this forum at all, and yes, it can annoy me when it gets thrown out there a lot.  However, personally for me I'l defend the right of people to use it. I have said many times, this is a message board, an online community that works best when the most people participate in it.  Everyone is not going to agree with everyone else, and once we start 'gatekeeping' or even saying we want people to stop saying things here, that only hurts participation in this community.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Maybe we need to start a noobie dictionary thread for the sites’ abbreviations, contractions and other terms of art.

for example:  DG or DM or Donnie Meatball = HC Don Granato  

We say that every year and then we never do it.

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I agree there never really is a 'must win'...unless it is used inside of a particularly defined context:

-When facing an elimination game in the playoffs, a 'must win' would determine whether your season ends or not.

-when facing your magic number to elimination, that becomes a 'must win' in the regular season to determine if you make the playoffs or nog.

-when playing a game while riding a 4 or 5 game losing streak, a 'must win' would be a game that determines the sanity level of much of your fanbase.

Again, no game is ever a 'must win' unless you define what the consequences are.  Those can be different for many people, which is why the phrase gets used alot.

Personally, I don't think I hardly even use that phrase on this forum at all, and yes, it can annoy me when it gets thrown out there a lot.  However, personally for me I'l defend the right of people to use it. I have said many times, this is a message board, an online community that works best when the most people participate in it.  Everyone is not going to agree with everyone else, and once we start 'gatekeeping' or even saying we want people to stop saying things here, that only hurts participation in this community.

I, too, don’t care if someone says it every game.

… cuz it sure beats the hell out of those two years when people were saying Must Lose.😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Allow me. The consequences are me being completely dissatisfied with any other result. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

4 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Everyone is not going to agree with everyone else, and once we start 'gatekeeping' or even saying we want people to stop saying things here, that only hurts participation in this community.

Accurate and salient imo.

Truth be told, I’d say the M W stuff has jumped the shark lol. If you are gonna do it, at least be funny. But humour is subjective like everything and the emoji reactions can be our democracy. 95% of my jokes miss so, conjuring up memories of the immortal Andy Sutton, I am certainly NOT an expert. 

This is all to say, I totally agree with you. As much as I’d prefer a traditional “must win”, if anything, the fact it’s not for me isn’t relevant. It should only die out when the collective wishes for it to.

Post on and upwards.

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.