Sabres Sign Tage Thompson to a 7 year 50 Million Dollar Contract Extension

Brawndo

7 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Im just saying they could have waited to see if it was a fluke 

The contract wouldn't have changed much 

I think it would have changed the conversation if he duplicated a 38g season. 

I guess we'll find out soon if it's a fluke.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Its a fair deal if he keeps producing like this, but a bargain if he becomes an 80 point 1C.   I like the gamble here, can still be 2 million too much if he is not a top 6 center in 2 years though.

If the worst comes to happen (say... he damages his shoulder again, it becomes a recurring thing, the shot disappears) there are a ton of forwards coming who could become a top-6 NHL center if they hit. They'll be ELCs and initial bridges through the meat of this extension. They won't all hit, but all it takes is one. And I don't think anyone said Tage would be a 1C after seeing him after his first two seasons as a Sabre. At year 4 with a growing cap, a buyout wouldn't be awful, trading + a pick... the options will be there to get out of it, if needed. If the best comes to pass... this will be a great contract.

That's a heluva raise for 1 real good season. It's a bit of a calculated gamble..

I would of liked to see a little more,  but ţhen the price goes up.

Who would of thunk it, Tage becoming a 1C. I'll be happy if he can put up 30 goals consistently over the life of the contract

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Im just saying they could have waited to see if it was a fluke 

The contract wouldn't have changed much 

I think that if Thompson put up an equal or better season this year, the contract goes up by a lot.  +$1.5M at least I think.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Today's price is not yesterday's price. 

More importantly, today’s price isn’t tomorrow’s price. When Tage betters last season’s performance, we will be glad he was locked up before he did. 

• Like (+1) 2

I’m glad they did this. 

I’m not positive the deal “works out” in that he remains a 7 million dollar player, but he very well could and I doubt at this time he ends up falling *significantly* below.

He could even exceed. Good teams need to have a few good players on value deals. If we waited until Tage was more of a certainty than he is now, we could get a fair deal, but I don’t believe the best teams can be built that way: by simply waiting on all your guys. You need to make a few gambles and you need to win a few: I’m glad to see them following that philosophy and taking the chance. 

The hard part, the actual work for Adams and Co. is identifying the right players to do this with. Tage seems as good a candidate as any. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

At some point you have to start investing in your players and locking up your young core. If you keep putting everyone off then you never know what your salary structure will be.  Dahlin will probably be the next big chip.

Yep.  And this is our proof that Adams is willing to do so rather than push everything into the future.  We suspected he'd reward the players that both buy in and perform.  But that was speculation as all he'd done is push decisions into the future. 

Really hoping Adams & we get rewarded for taking the leap on this one.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Sabres now have the first line of Skinner-Thompson-Tuch locked up through 2025-26.

Small potatoes:

Skinner ($9M) - Thompson ($7.1M) - Tuch ($4.8M) cap hit is $20.9M/year, which is 25.3% of 82.5M cap (this year).  From this analysis, two top line wingers and a top line center (not elite) gathers on average 20.2%.  If you factor all three players to be elite, it gathers 26.8%.

I think the takeaway is that Skinner is still overpaid (even if he made what Thompson made, the line total would still be up at 23% of cap).

As far as production, the line accounted for 0.41G/GP + 0.48G/GP + 0.24 G/GP = 1.13G/GP, which is a monster 40.5% team scoring (229G/82GP = 2.79G/GP), but I have no good way to compare this to other teams.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, inkman said:

So it’s this season now? (2022-2023 & next season obvi is then 2023-2024)

Yes.  Free agency always starts on the 1st day of the new league year.  Pretty sure the plan is to get that back to its rightful place on Canada Day next year.