General Sabres FA discussion thread (f/k/a Random free agent posts)

Archie Lee

47 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Kadri is looking for term. Just doesn’t lineup with anything Adams has said.

I think he goes to Calgary or Isles or Rags if they can make it work or Bruins if Bergeron or Krejci don’t return.

Rags just signed Trochek, I don’t think they can afford Kadri, and already filled their 2C hole.

I just perused the Free Agent Frenzy thread.  All I can say is I'm glad Kevyn is our GM.  He didn't make any big splashes but he also didn't needlessly blow cap money the Sabres will need in a couple years on long terms for players in decline.

• Like (+1) 2

If Comrie is worth five more wins (10 points) than the goaltending combos we had last year, and Power matures as a premier talent could/should (say his addition/play is worth three wins over last year’s group), this is a 90 point team. 

And what if this comes to fruition and the Sabres make a deadline deal for additional talent?

A lot of “if” and hope, but it isn’t unreasonable to me. If this team continues to grow, a wild card run could be had. 

I’m drinking the hopium! 🍹

• Like (+1) 5

22 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

If Comrie is worth five more wins (10 points) than the goaltending combos we had last year, and Power matures as a premier talent could/should (say his addition/play is worth three wins over last year’s group), this is a 90 point team. 

And what if this comes to fruition and the Sabres make a deadline deal for additional talent?

A lot of “if” and hope, but it isn’t unreasonable to me. If this team continues to grow, a wild card run could be had. 

I’m drinking the hopium! 🍹

Add in another coupla wins with the maturation of Mitts and Cozens.  Playoffs.

The team at the beginning of last year was frankly not very good.  They had a decent start and then lost Anderson and fell into the bottomless pit for a while.  Tuch brought a change of fortune and with a very spotty goalie situation played at a playoff pace from March through the end of the season.  If Comrie brings them stability in goal they may be able to improve on that March-April pace.

I have to temper that with the fact that all the other rebuilders are improving as well, especially Detroit and Ottawa, and the top teams are still capable of at least fighting to be top teams.  So maybe in the context of all the other teams the Sabres haven't arrived yet.  But I do like the direction they're headed.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Add in another coupla wins with the maturation of Mitts and Cozens.  Playoffs.

The team at the beginning of last year was frankly not very good.  They had a decent start and then lost Anderson and fell into the bottomless pit for a while.  Tuch brought a change of fortune and with a very spotty goalie situation played at a playoff pace from March through the end of the season.  If Comrie brings them stability in goal they may be able to improve on that March-April pace.

I have to temper that with the fact that all the other rebuilders are improving as well, especially Detroit and Ottawa, and the top teams are still capable of at least fighting to be top teams.  So maybe in the context of all the other teams the Sabres haven't arrived yet.  But I do like the direction they're headed.

Agree. Progression of the kids cannot be relied upon, but is reasonable. Lots of things at play…did other teams get worse today? Will the Sabres see less backup goaltenders? Will they be less bit by the injury bug than others? A lot of unknown factors. But baselining last year to this year is encouraging. 

Edited by Porous Five Hole
  • Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Just wait for it. Tomorrow KA will sign Kadri and Klingberg and everybody will go crazy 😁

I was thinking more about Palat.  4 years @ 6 mill per season to teach this team how to win.  It will add another proven scorer and counter the moves by Ott, Det and CBJ.  

From a roster standpoint you send Bjork and JJP down to start the year knowing he’ll JJP will be the first call up.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I was thinking more about Palat.  4 years @ 6 mill per season to teach this team how to win.  It will add another proven scorer and counter the moves by Ott, Det and CBJ.  

From a roster standpoint you send Bjork and JJP down to start the year knowing he’ll JJP will be the first call up.  

Palat signed with the Devils.

This team knows how to win and adding 1 guy isn't some magical elixir to teach them that. There's plenty of winners in that room. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Palat signed with the Devils.

This team knows how to win and adding 1 guy isn't some magical elixir to teach them that. There's plenty of winners in that room. 

Sure, so you say... NJ has a long way to go before they can reclaim that mantra... Palat isnt gonna solve their issues... and that snarky magic elixir comment isnt warranted... Sabres are young... they need a guy or two who can guide them when crap gets tough on how to take it up another notch.. they made progress last year on talent and team work and coaching... but they have a couple more levels to climb and imo it would be helpful to know where to tie off the rope as they go up each level so they dont fall back.

• Like (+1) 1

• SDS unpinned this topic
55 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

There’s not a single spot on this roster guaranteed. Arguably every position is up for grabs even 1D and 1C.   Every spot has depth and up and comers knocking at the door  

When was the last time that was true?  Was Lindy Ruff coach?

3 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

There’s not a single spot on this roster guaranteed. Arguably every position is up for grabs even 1D and 1C.   Every spot has depth and up and comers knocking at the door  

Dahlin has a guaranteed roster spot. And maybe Tage. 

8 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Sorry to say this but nearly every job for next season is written in pen already. 

Up front Tage, Skinner, Tuch, Mitts, KO, VO, Asplund, Cozens, Krebs and Z are all guaranteed jobs.  Hinostroza is also making the team but whether or not he is in the starting lineup is another question.  The only guys who are guaranteed aren’t Quinn, JJP and Bjork. 

On defense Dahlin, Samuelsson, Joki, Lyubuskin and Bryson are making this team.  Unless Power has incredibly terrible camp, he is making the team.  Only Fitz, Clague and Pilut aren't guaranteed to make the squad.  

In net Comrie is definitely making this team.  Unless Anderson quits he is as well. 

Other than JJP making the squad, the biggest camp drama is going to be who plays with whom.  Who is going to be Power’s partner?  Do Matt and Dahlin remain partners? Who plays center and who moves to the wing? Does DG scramble the lines or does he stick with what worked late last year?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

Colorado needs to get a another trade done to re-sign Kadri.  

How about Bjork and a 2nd for Compher and we'll retain 500K of Bjork cap hit.  Colorado then waives Bjork, clearing all 3.5 mill of Compher's salary.  

What does this do for the Sabres you kindly ask? Well he brings Cup winning experience.  He plays all 3 forward positions.  He also is a better goal scorer than Hinostroza or Girgensons,   He also kills penalties and solid in the faceoff circle.  

Isn't he going to block JJP or force Vinnie to the bench? A temporary yes and a temporary yes.  I'm not 100% sold on JJP making the team. Vinnie was re-signed with a big raise for more than depth purposes.  I think that he is JJP insurance as well.  But who is our Zemgus Girgensons insurance?  He missed all of 2020/21 and 23 games last year.  As a team last season we utilized 14 forwards in 40+ games and then another 4 18 or 19 games each.  

Without a move like this once we get passed Vinnie our depth is Bjork, R2, Murray, and Biro.  Excited?  I didn't think so. 

If KA makes a move like this Vinnie stays at 13, JJP becomes the 14th forward and then R2, Murray, and Biro.  

Granted JT has only a year left on his deal, but if they can re-sign him, he and Asplund can become 2/3 of a long-term shutdown line. 

It's just a thought that won't happen, but it is interesting to contemplate.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How about Bjork and a 2nd for Compher and we'll retain 500K of Bjork cap hit.  Colorado then waives Bjork, clearing all 3.5 mill of Compher's salary.  

What does this do for the Sabres you kindly ask? Well he brings Cup winning experience.  He plays all 3 forward positions.  He also is a better goal scorer than Hinostroza or Girgensons,   He also kills penalties and solid in the faceoff circle.  

Isn't he going to block JJP or force Vinnie to the bench. A temporary yes and a temporary yes.  I'm not 100% sold on JJP making the team. Vinnie was re-signed with a big raise for more than depth purposes.  I think that he is JJP insurance as well.  But who is our Zemgus Girgensons insurance?  He missed all of 2020/21 and 23 games last year.  As a team last season we utilized 14 forwards in 40+ games and then another 4 18 or 19 games each.  

Without a move like this once we get passed Vinnie our depth is Bjork, R2, Murray, and Biro.  Excited?  I didn't think so. 

If KA makes a move like this Vinnie stays at 13, JJP becomes the 14th forward and R2, Murray, and Biro.  

Granted JT has only a year left on his deal, but if they can re-sign him, he and Asplund can become 2/3 of a long-term shutdown line.

No idea what move Adams will make but fully expect he isn't done w/ the big team's roster yet.  This sort of move is quite plausible; it's kind of a Skinner-esque trade for bottom 6 help.

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Isn't he going to block JJP or force Vinnie to the bench. A temporary yes and a temporary yes.  I'm not 100% sold on JJP making the team. Vinnie was re-signed with a big raise for more than depth purposes.  I think that he is JJP insurance as well.  But who is our Zemgus Girgensons insurance?  He missed all of 2020/21 and 23 games last year.  As a team last season we utilized 14 forwards in 40+ games and then another 4 18 or 19 games each.  

If KA makes a move like this Vinnie stays at 13, JJP becomes the 14th forward and R2, Murray, and Biro.  

Funny.  I was thinking the same thing.  I would rather have Peterka and even Quinn get top line minutes in Rochester until the inevitable happens and they come up and stay.  Meanwhile, a checking line including 3 of Hinostroza, Girgensons, Asplund, and Compher could drive other teams even battier than the LOG line did.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.