General Sabres FA discussion thread (f/k/a Random free agent posts)

Archie Lee

I do hope the Sabres do some things today. A goalie obviously, a vet D man, maybe take a cap dump and get an asset with it. 

I really don’t think you build a championship team by signing players to big UFA deals though. I’m content to watch our Eastern Conference competitors fall over themselves to give big money and term to players who will be of little help to most of them.  Phi, Det, NJ and Ott can’t all make the playoffs this year. Some of these teams will look a bit foolish as early as Thanksgiving. 

Edited by Archie Lee
  • Like (+1) 2

I will say this and then lay off, Adams has told us repeatedly he isn't going to do much so don't expect some massive signing or trade. That doesn't mean he is stupid, or doesn't want to win, or is writing off this year, or is tanking (Chicago is what a tank looks like). We have to sign Cozens, Samuelsson, Tage, and Asplund (who is really good most haven't noticed yet) to rfa deals as early as today but more likely before next season starts. Then, in 2024 we have to sign Dahlin, Power, Mitts, Krebs, Joker to new deals. So yes, this summer we could add a player or two but the issue is that will preclude you from being able to keep some of the aforementioned players especially when 2024 rolls around.

Sign a goalie (obviously) and sign a RHD. If you can find a decent upgrade at forward who isn't stupid expensive then sure, sign them. The issue is UFA is silly season where teams waste money and almost never get the value out of these contracts they need especially for the long term deals that the higher end guys want. Doesn't mean Adams doesn't care or is incompetent.

I will just add, yes we do not have to sign all of our RFAs but I would hope they all develop well so we want to.

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I will say this and then lay off, Adams has told us repeatedly he isn't going to do much so don't expect some massive signing or trade. That doesn't mean he is stupid, or doesn't want to win, or is writing off this year, or is tanking (Chicago is what a tank looks like). We have to sign Cozens, Samuelsson, Tage, and Asplund (who is really good most haven't noticed yet) to rfa deals as early as today but more likely before next season starts. Then, in 2024 we have to sign Dahlin, Power, Mitts, Krebs, Joker to new deals. So yes, this summer we could add a player or two but the issue is that will preclude you from being able to keep some of the aforementioned players especially when 2024 rolls around.

Sign a goalie (obviously) and sign a RHD. If you can find a decent upgrade at forward who isn't stupid expensive then sure, sign them. The issue is UFA is silly season where teams waste money and almost never get the value out of these contracts they need especially for the long term deals that the higher end guys want. Doesn't mean Adams doesn't care or is incompetent.

What if they don't get a decent goalie?

1 minute ago, Contempt said:

That's a failure on Adams part.

1 minute ago, triumph_communes said:

No reason to not buy all the rentals 

season tickets are sold with todays actions

It's Tim Murray's burner account 😋

Totally expecting NOT to hear about or have major Sabres signings. I am really thinking they may add a F/A but not a major player. Maybe a lower class RHD or bottom 6 Fwd. Not seeing a huge upgrade in goalie in the cards either. I think the Sabres have their plan and that's that. Kind of disappointing as today is one of my favorite NHL days and hate watching teams around us get better. 

• Like (+1) 1

Attached is a 25 min WGR link with Paul Hamilton on the Howard and Jeremy Show. The focus is on free agents. The most interesting part is from 23 min to the conclusion of the segment. Paul talks about the GM's plan and what it entails. He basically reinforces the notion that the GM believes in his mostly internal rebuild from within and is sticking with it. It's a long segment but the last five minutes is worth listening to. 

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/authors/howard-and-jeremy-show

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

No reason to not buy all the rentals 

season tickets are sold with todays actions

No, myself and every STH I know paid in full or are on a payment plan for Season tickets a month or more ago. Moves the Sabres make today or this summer, and The draft picks made a few days ago has/had no effect on if myself or the STH I know renewed their seats this season. 

IF there was any validity to what you said… I would not have been a STH since 2004. and the STH’ers I know, have been longtime holders as well. And they would not renew year after year either if what you said was valid.

Now if you want to talk strictly about brand new season ticket holders coming on board… Then perhaps a very very small percentage base their interest of getting in on season tickets solely on UFA market acquisitions in the summer leading up to the season. But I would guess an extremely small amount are that narrow minded to only consider the UFA market acquisitions when considering buying season tickets.
Just my thoughts…

2 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

No, myself and every STH I know paid in full or are on a payment plan for Season tickets a month or more ago. Moves the Sabres make today or this summer, and The draft picks made a few days ago has/had no effect on if myself or the STH I know renewed their seats this season. 

IF there was any validity to what you said… I would not have been a STH since 2004. and the STH’ers I know, have been longtime holders as well. And they would not renew year after year either if what you said was valid.

Now if you want to talk strictly about brand new season ticket holders coming on board… Then perhaps a very very small percentage base their interest of getting in on season tickets solely on UFA market acquisitions in the summer leading up to the season. But I would guess an extremely small amount are that narrow minded to only consider the UFA market acquisitions when considering buying season tickets.
Just my thoughts…

Politicians don’t care about their base. Only the swing voters. 

Though recently they’ve smartened up and decided to milk the whales instead of the swing voters. They haven’t really milked the rich people as much as they could cause the seats being empty has sucked the air out of the arena. 

40 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I will say this and then lay off, Adams has told us repeatedly he isn't going to do much so don't expect some massive signing or trade.

No one is saying break the bank.  I think everyone just wants him to make intelligent moves, fill the lineup holes, but also not be afraid to get something done like Ott and Det have.  They, like us, wanted to improve their goaltending despite both teams having ok netminders already.  However their GM’s managed to get Husso and Talbot while we re-signed Anderson and Subban and struck out on Murray.  Det is also adding Copp, while Ott has added DeBrincat and looks like Giroux.  

We need a starting goalie and at least one veteran RHD.  He needs to get those done in the next few days.  

Assuming the rumours are true, the Sens and Wings have both had significantly better off seasons than us.

I expect us to be on track for finishing 7th or 8th in our division without some pretty major changes.

You can’t finish as the 9th worst team in the league, bring all the same guys back and expect to then make the playoffs.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Politicians don’t care about their base. Only the swing voters. 

Though recently they’ve smartened up and decided to milk the whales instead of the swing voters. They haven’t really milked the rich people as much as they could cause the seats being empty has sucked the air out of the arena. 

dr-evil-right.gif

3 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

Assuming the rumours are true, the Sens and Wings have both had significantly better off seasons than us.

I expect us to be on track for finishing 7th or 8th in our division without some pretty major changes.

You can’t finish as the 9th worst team in the league, bring all the same guys back and expect to then make the playoffs.

I think the thing that is hard to know is, is Buffalo the team we saw in March and April or more the team we saw in December and January.

I think Ottawa we can stay in front of. Detroit I think is a team that if they add Copp, has certainly passed us without any other moves being accounted for (future moves in UFA).

18 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Just my thoughts…

I hope you don't mind if I ask you as a STH (paying customer) some maybe intrusive questions. As a loyal fan who backs up that loyalty with your $$$$ are you on board with what the GM is doing and is accepting of the rebuild strategy and rebuilding timeframe? Are you and the STHs you know optimistic about the long run and near term prospects of this team? And for someone who has already invested his money for this season what are your expectations for this team this year? I'm not arguing one way or the other but am interested in your view about this team and franchise. Just curious?  

Edited by JohnC

The title did not need to change because it does not appear that the Sabres will be active in free agency and I don't really understand KA's approach to free agency.  The team, as constructed, will not compete for a playoff spot this upcoming season.  Yes, we may seem some improvement with individual players and our overall team points, but we have significant deficiencies at key positions, both in terms of skill and depth.  We should always be looking to upgrade the team through free agency and trades, and we need more defensemen and a starting NHL level goalie to even compete this season (without any consideration of injuries, which will happen).  I get wanting to give our young players time to develop, but other young players with more potential or players with immediate impact can be available in trades and sometimes in free agency.  We have all been patient, and no one is telling KA to trade our young players, but basically going into the season knowing and accepting that the chances of making the playoffs this season are really low after years of futility does not make sense to me.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think the thing that is hard to know is, is Buffalo the team we saw in March and April or more the team we saw in December and January.

I think Ottawa we can stay in front of. Detroit I think is a team that if they add Copp, has certainly passed us without any other moves being accounted for (future moves in UFA).

You ask the key question whether the late season success represents a point of demarcation of an upward trajectory from its struggling past. I'm inclined to think so (but not sure) for the primary reason is that I witnessed a collective improvement from the enlarged core of young players. And if so, that improvement should continue. But as you indicate everything is relative. Just because we get better that doesn't mean that teams such as Ottawa and Detroit won't also get better at a faster rate. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I was thinking about Asplund. Does he really have a place on this team if Quizz and JJ make the team? 

2 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I was thinking about Asplund. Does he really have a place on this team if Quizz and JJ make the team? 

Yes.  He brings something different than they will.  If he reaches his ceiling it will be as a Girgensons that can actually contribute more than just forechecking in the offensive zone & is equally adept at C or W.  (Aka, what we'd've hoped Z's ceiling was going to be.) 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Yes, absolutely Asplund has a place on this team. He is a good defensive player who has some room to develop more on offensive. Quinn and JJ are second line players, maybe higher. Asplund is a third or fourth line player who has an important role on those lower lines. That lower line role shouldn't be dismissed. I'm an Asplund fan. I really like his game and effort. I'm confident that the GM, the coaches and his teammates appreciate and respect his contributions. 

• Like (+1) 2

For better or worse, Adams sounds like a man in no real hurry.  He has his bosses’ buy-in on a long-horizon rebuild; there is zero pressure on him to achieve near-term success (at least, success that is measured in wins and ticket sales).  He’s not even urgently trying to acquire a real NHL goalie, instead he waits “patiently” as the goalie market gets picked over (for the third offseason in a row).  I really like Adams, he seems like a smart, great guy.  I have no idea if he’s the least bit competent as an NHL General Manager, because it appears he’s almost completely unaccountable.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Contempt said:

Then we are no worse then last year, and all the team itself showed growth and will continue to grow.

If we do nothing at all, notta, zip, zilcho, I still expect the sabres to be better than they were last year, and to show more growth.

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Yes, absolutely Asplund has a place on this team. He is a good defensive player who has some room to develop more on offensive. Quinn and JJ are second line players, maybe higher. Asplund is a third or fourth line player who has an important role on those lower lines. That lower line role shouldn't be dismissed. I'm an Asplund fan. I really like his game and effort. I'm confident that the GM, the coaches and his teammates appreciate and respect his contributions. 

Agree. Going forward, he has the potential to be one of the better 3rd/4th liners in the league.  And of course I don't simply mean he'd be one of the better 'bottom 8 forwards' but rather his role.  He as the chance (not for sure but hes part of the way there) to be an elite Defender from the forward ranks while also contributing some offense AND making his linemates better.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yes.  He brings something different than they will.  If he reaches his ceiling it will be as a Girgensons that can actually contribute more than just forechecking in the offensive zone & is equally adept at C or W.  (Aka, what we'd've hoped Z's ceiling was going to be.) 

Well, someone will be the odd man out, if not this year, then in the future as we have a lot of forwards in the pipeline. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.