2023 NHL draft rankings

Crusader1969

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Kremlin just stated that it is preparing for martial law and has ordered Prigo's arrest.  No way should the Sabres take a Russian in the early rounds.

I know a Russian kid playing junior over here. He stayed at his billet family’s place for the summer. I can see why he doesn’t want to go back.

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Kremlin just declared martial law.  No way should the Sabres take a Russian in the early rounds.

I think the only Russians worth taking at this point are the ones already out of the country and who say they aren’t going back. Complete ***** show going on there. 

7 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I know a Russian kid playing junior over here. He stayed at his billet family’s place for the summer. I can see why he doesn’t want to go back.

I'm fairly certain Komarov doesn't go back. Ik the Kisakov hasn't and thank God Novikov is here (I think he is).

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Looks like the coup is over. 

For the moment.  Notice who still hasn't made an appearance?  I still would avoid Russians in the first few rounds, if not altogether.

Edited by Eleven
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

I would still take Michkov at 13 right now if I could.  This is a guy with real potential to be an annual 40-60 goal guy like Matthews.

Yes. The Sabres are in a good position to roll the dice on a player who may not be available for a number of years. If it doesn't work out, you still are well stocked with prospects in your system. Taking a gamble on a high-end talent is worth the risk. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Yes. The Sabres are in a good position to roll the dice on a player who may not be available for a number of years. If it doesn't work out, you still are well stocked with prospects in your system. Taking a gamble on a high-end talent is worth the risk. 

Just keep in mind, highly unlikely anyone we draft at 13 would be ready for at least 2 years, so waiting 3 for Michkov isn't that outlandish. Just sucks you don't have any control on the development side. 

For example Östlund at 16 won't be on an nhl team until 2025.

• Like (+1) 1

If by some miracle Michkov is available at 13 the Sabres have to take him.  Given our young forward group and deep forward pipeline, we can afford to wait on a potential franchise talent.

If I’m honest, if Michkov starts to fall, I wouldn’t mind if KA traded up to 7th to get him as I don’t see him falling past Wash at 8.

3 hours ago, Curt said:

He’s going to go back.  If he tried to ditch his KHL contract it probably would lead to some difficulties for his family.

I'm not sure that's correct in the current climate. I don't think the administration over there wants stories about that type of stuff.  It's not the 1980s and word will get out.  (Or maybe that IS what it wants.)  Not sure.

24 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm not sure that's correct in the current climate. I don't think the administration over there wants stories about that type of stuff.  It's not the 1980s and word will get out.  (Or maybe that IS what it wants.)  Not sure.

I don’t know for sure, but I would think that even if it’s not threats directly from the government, people affiliated with or supports of the hockey club might take it upon themselves to menace the family a bit.  And it would probably mean that he could never go back to Russia.  Seems like too much for a kid whose father passed away (was murdered?) less than a year ago.

9 hours ago, Eleven said:

Kremlin just stated that it is preparing for martial law and has ordered Prigo's arrest.  No way should the Sabres take a Russian in the early rounds.

The Sabres have an actual NHL team at present and prospects out the proverial wazoo.  If they can get a guy that was in the discussion for top 3 minus the politics in the 1st round or get a guy that would've been drafted a round+ earlier minus the politics; reach for the stars.  The crud in Ukraine won't be going on forever (well, maybe the graft, corruption, grift, & etc. might; but the war won't) and these kids are "property" of the team that drafts them for 4 years.

When everybody else is selling, if your pockets are deep, there is a great buying opportunity.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

The Sabres have an actual NHL team at present and prospects out the proverial wazoo.  If they can get a guy that was in the discussion for top 3 minus the politics in the 1st round or get a guy that would've been drafted a round+ earlier minus the politics; reach for the stars.  The crud in Ukraine won't be going on forever (well, maybe the graft, corruption, grift, & etc. might; but the war won't) and these kids are "property" of the team that drafts them for 4 years.

When everybody else is selling, if your pockets are deep, there is a great buying opportunity.

Actually, I believe that because there is no formal agreement between the NHL and KHL, teams hold the rights of players drafted out of Russia in perpetuity.  If Michkov is drafted by Buffalo, stays in the KHL for 12 years then comes to the NHL when he is 30, Buffalo still holds his rights.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.