2023 NHL draft rankings

Crusader1969

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

Actually, I believe that because there is no formal agreement between the NHL and KHL, teams hold the rights of players drafted out of Russia in perpetuity.  If Michkov is drafted by Buffalo, stays in the KHL for 12 years then comes to the NHL when he is 30, Buffalo still holds his rights.

Then am even more onboard with drafting a Russkie that falls.

Final Consensus Update - 17 different rankings utilized including  TSN (2), Athletic (2), McKeens, Elite prospects, Yahoo (Kennedy), Hockey News (2), Smaht, Flo Hockey, Dobber, Shane Malloy, Recruit Scouting, Daily Faceoff, Sportsnet (Bukala), and FC Hockey.

1. Bedard, 2-Fantilli, Tie 3rd, Michkov and Carlsson

5-7, Smith, Benson, Leonard

8-11, Dvorsky, Moore, Pelikka and Reinbacher

Gap

12-18, Wood, Barlow, Perreault, Danielson, Sale, Simashev, Yager

19-24, Willander, Musty, Honzek, Cristall, Brindley, Stenberg

25-28, Ritchie, But, Gulyaev, Heidt

There is a huge cliff after Heidt.  No one has consistent 1st rd grades after 28

29-32, Nadeau Dragicevic, Gauthier, Edstrom

2nd Round

33-35, Hrabel, Molgaard, Bonk,

36-39, Haltunnen, Molendyk, Perron, Stramel

40-42, Sawchyn, Augustine, Ziemmer

Gap

43-48, Hameenaho, Lindstein, Brzustewicz, Morin, Cagnoni, Akey, Morin

49-53, Minnetian, Price, Strbak, Wahlberg, Whitelaw

54-55, Lardis, Nelson

56-59, Rehkopf, Ciernik, Bjarnason, Kantserov,

60-63, Cataford, Dvorak, Dower-Nilsson, Barkey

Large Gap - Round 3

64-66, Lind, Pinelli, Suniev,

Gap

67-69,  Strathmann, Pitre, Kiiskinen

70-71, Cam Allen, Cowan.  

Gap

72-74, Fowler, Myatovic, Gajan,

75-76, Nordh, Jarventie

77-80, Rykov, Terrance, Bertucci, Unger Sorum

81-85, Gibson, Burns, Misiak, Mania, Nilsson

86-90, McCarthy, Pekarcik, Ratzlaff, Kumpulainen, Nurmi,

91-98, Mukhanov, Wikman, Karki, Cleveland, Touirigny, Fink, Peddle, Shaugabay

Others: Sothern, Ludkte, Forsfjall, Miedema, Levis, MacKinnon

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 3

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Final Consensus Update

1. Bedard, 2-Fantilli, Tie 3rd, Michkov and Carlsson

5-7, Smith, Benson, Leonard

8-11, Dvorsky, Moore, Pelikka and Reinbacher

Gap

12-18, Wood, Barlow, Perreault, Danielson, Sale, Simashev, Yager

19-24, Willander, Musty, Honzek, Cristall, Brindley, Stenberg

25-28, Ritchie, But, Gulyaev, Heidt

There is a huge cliff after Heidt.  No one has consistent 1st rd grades after 28

29-32, Nadeau Dragicevic, Gauthier, Edstrom

2nd Round

33-35, Hrabel, Molgaard, Bonk,

36-39, Haltunnen, Molendyk, Perron, Stramel

40-42, Sawchyn, Augustine, Ziemmer

Gap

43-48, Hameenaho, Lindstein, Brzustewicz, Morin, Cagnoni, Akey, Morin

49-53, Minnetian, Price, Strbak, Wahlberg, Whitelaw

54-55, Lardis, Nelson

56-59, Rehkopf, Ciernik, Bjarnason, Kantserov,

60-63, Cataford, Dvorak, Dower-Nilsson, Barkey

Large Gap - Round 3

64-66, Lind, Pinelli, Suniev,

Gap

67-69,  Strathmann, Pitre, Kiiskinen

70-71, Cam Allen, Cowan.  

Gap

72-74, Fowler, Myatovic, Gajan,

75-76, Nordh, Jarventie

77-80, Rykov, Terrance, Bertucci, Unger Sorum

81-85, Gibson, Burns, Misiak, Mania, Nilsson

86-90, McCarthy, Pekarcik, Ratzlaff, Kumpulainen, Nurmi,

91-98, Mukhanov, Wikman, Karki, Cleveland, Touirigny, Fink, Peddle, Shaugabay

Others: Sothern, Ludkte, Forsfjall, Miedema, Levis, MacKinnon

Great work. If you had a choice of one of the players in the 8-11 group, who would you take? If you had to take a player in the 12-18 group. who would it be. 

51 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Great work. If you had a choice of one of the players in the 8-11 group, who would you take? If you had to take a player in the 12-18 group. who would it be. 

Good question. I’ll butt in here with my two cents.

That first group I like Dvorsky, Reinbacher, Moore and Sandin-Pellikka.

Dvorsky has a combination of versatility& size I like. Reinbacher and Moore are really close but I lean to position there. Sandin-Pellikka I would put after Perreault in the next grouping.

I would rank the second group Simashev, Barlow, Wood, Perreault, Danielson, Yager, Sale.

Simashev is just a guess that he will improve his offense a bit to supplement the great foundation of skating and size. I see him as a solid top 4 Dman. I wouldn’t be upset with any of the first 4 guys of that group.

Edited by French Collection
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, JohnC said:

From the group of Dvorsky, Moore, Pelikka and Reinbacher, I would take any of them at 13 except Pelikka.  I think it’s basically a certainty that no more than one of them is available at 13, but I think I’d order them Dvorsky, Reinbacher, Moore.

From the 2nd group of Wood, Barlow, Perreault, Danielson, Sale, Simashev, Yager, I would be looking mostly at Wood, Barlow, and Simashev.  I have a hard time choosing between them.

I actually like Willander, Musty, and Richie from the following groups just as much too.

If Michkov, Benson and Dvorsky are all off the board it might not be a bad spot for Sabres to move back a few spots.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Good question. I’ll butt in here with my two cents.

That first group I like Dvorsky, Reinbacher, Moore and Sandin-Pellikka.

Dvorsky has a combination of versatility size I like. Reinbacher and Moore are really close but I lean to position there. Sandin-Pellikka I would put after Perreault in the next grouping.

I would rank the second group Simashev, Barlow, Wood, Perreault, Danielson, Yager, Sale.

Simashev is just a guess that he will improve his offense a bit to supplement the great foundation of skating and size. I see him as a solid top 4 Dman. I wouldn’t be upset with any of the first 4 guys of that group.

1 minute ago, Curt said:

From the group of Dvorsky, Moore, Pelikka and Reinbacher, I would take any of them at 13 except Pelikka.  I think it’s basically a certainty that no more than one of them is available at 13, but I think I’d order them Dvorsky, Reinbacher, Moore.

From the 2nd group of Wood, Barlow, Perreault, Danielson, Sale, Simashev, Yager, I would be looking mostly at Wood, Barlow, and Simashev.  I have a hard time choosing between them.

I actually like Willander, Musty, and Richie from the following groups just as much too.

If Michkov, Benson and Dvorsky are all off the board it might not be a bad spot for Sabres to move back a few spots.

What is evident is that the Sabres should come away from this draft with a high-quality prospect. Would I give up this pick for a top two pairing defenseman or goalie? Not unless they had some term left on their contract or were assured that an extension would be made before departing with the pick. Our GM has made some astute picks during his tenure. My inclination is to hang on to the pick and continue on with the roster building process that he has established since he took over. I'm receptive to dealing the pick but it has to be a very appealing offer to let that first round pick go. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Reinbacher - if available.

The most likely available candidate 8-11 is Moore.  I would not draft ASP.

I also really like Wood and Danielson in the 12-18 group.  I'd actually take Willander over Simachev.  

I also really like Honzak in the 19-24 group.  He won't be a reach at 13.  Pronman has him 13th, Bukkala, who does a scout survey, has him 12th, and McKenzie, who interviews scouts and execs, has him 17th, so don't be surprised if he goes higher than listed here.  His numbers (goal and pts per game) and his physical size are very similar to Cozens' draft year in the WHL.  This is a very tall and talented LW.

Moore is the fastest player in this draft with McDavid-type speed and good skills.  Danielson, like Honzak, is a Cozens kind of player.  I've seen a couple of reports making the comparison.  Woods' gets compared to TNT.  It's the size, goal-scoring UConn thing I guess.  Recent reports say his skating has improved.   

Willander over Simashev.  Willander is an excellent skater, has a good O skill set, is a decent size, is willing to be physical, and is an extremely effective defender.  Actually, he reminds me of a little smaller (he's 6'1") version of Power.  I also like that he is coming to NA next season to play NCAA hockey for a stacked BU team.  A really strong second-half and his breakout U18 elevated his draft status.  Button has him 8th, Pronman 15th, and Bukala 15th.

https://www.nhl.com/news/tom-willander-turns-down-sweden-pro-league-for-ncaa-before-2023-nhl-draft/c-344874284

• Thanks (+1) 1

When it comes to 2nd rd picks, the rankings vary wildly. 

Take for example Max Strbak.  He is 51st on my board and his rankings range from 25 to outside the top 100.  Ten rankings have him from 41 to 60.  This is a very solid defensive D and if he is available at 45 and the Sabres take him, don't be upset.

A forward I also really like in the 2nd is Nick Lardis.  He is young for this draft (He's still 17) and IMHO will be a steal for anyone who drafts him.  He's 54 on my board, but if the Sabres take a D in the first, I'd be pleased with Lardis at 45.  

I also really like D Bonk (35th) and Lindstein (44) on my board.  FYI:  All the players listed 44th to 51st are D and have similar rankings.  How they go in the 2nd rd (and some could slip into the 3rd) will be based on each team's criteria.  For example, Morin (46) has compete questions and could easily slip because of it.   

I'm also interested in how the goalies play out.  Hrabel (33) has a near 1st rd grade. Augustine (41) and Bjarnason (58)  have solid 2nd rd grades.  Fowler, Gajan, and Ratzlaff have solid 3rd rd grades.  I like Augustine and Ratzlaff from my reading and Augustine's U18 and U20 play.  Augustine is heading to Ryan Miller's alma mater next year, MSU.  Ratzlaff has excellent for Canada at the Hlinka.

To the draftniks who contribute to this board I say thank you. You guys are great! Although there are variances in opinions, there is a great deal of agreement among this adroit evaluating group about this class. 

KA values draft picks and is adept at picking players. That is the right approach to take. 

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Eleven said:

For you draftniks:  What goalie and when?

It really depends on how the draft falls.  At worst Ratzlaff at 86 (if we are lucky).  There are things to like about all the guys I listed and really even Fowler and Gajan would not be a huge reach at 45, especially as they'll be gone by 86.  

If the Sabres draft Willander or Reinbacher in the 1st, I'd maybe grab Augustine at 39, Lardis at 45 and KA's pal McCarthy at 86. 

If they go Moore/Wood/Danielson/Honzek in the 1st, then maybe 2 D at 39 & 45 and take Ratzlaff at 86.  

The depth at good Goalie ends with those top 6, although McKenzie also likes Damien Clara (83rd on McKenzie's board), no one else listed him in their top 100.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Suchanek, the 6th

I think that's too late.  They wasted last year's 2nd on a mediocre goalie.  The top 6 this year are all better players.  We need to develop a good goalie behind Levi, with 4 picks in the top 86, this is an opportunity to get a talented goalie our system needs. 

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Dmitri Simashev is in the US and probably will be at the draft 

That's an interesting development, but he is still under contract in Russia for two more years.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

For you draftniks:  What goalie and when?

I like overage goalies because there is a larger body of work and they can turn pro right away, joining Rochester or Jacksonville.

Thomas Milic, Seattle Thunderbirds of the WHL. 20 years old. 6’ tall. Last 3 years of junior his SV% has been .913, .912, .928 while his GAA has dropped. 2.74, 2.44, 2.08. He was backup for Canada at U18 (Gold) and the starter at the U20 (Gold). .932 1.76 at WJHC. 1 win away from capturing the Memorial Cup last month. Ranked from 131-173 according to elite prospects.

Tomas Suchanek, Tri City Americans of the WHL. 20 years old. 6’2”. Last two years of junior .901 3.87 to .912 3.05. He led Czechia to a silver medal at the U20, putting up better numbers than Milic. .934 1.52. Was at Sabres Development camp last year. Ranked from #103-205 at elite prospects.

William Rousseau, Quebec Remparts of the QMJHL. 20 years old, 6’1”. Last 3 years of junior his numbers have improved .833, .899, .908 and 3.72, 2.45, 2.22. His last two playoffs he was .922  2.16 & .915 2.22. Won Memorial Cup last month. Coached by Patrick Roy for 3 years.

I would look at rounds 3-6 for the first two and Rousseau may last until the 7th.

9 minutes ago, Weave said:

Honest question, do goalies drafted as over agers have a higher hit rate than goalies drafted in their first season of eligibility?

I don’t know and will probably not put in the research. Maybe do a bit on that tomorrow.

I watch a lot of junior hockey and draft eligible guys are often the backup on a good team or starting for a rebuilding team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.