2023 NHL draft rankings

Crusader1969

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Kris Baker’s mock on Sabres Live makes a ton of sense to me as he explains his reasoning:

• Chi Bedard
  • Ana - Fantilli
  • Cbs - Carlsson
  • SJ - Michkov
  • Mon - Smith
  • Ari - Reinbacher
  • Phi - Leonard
  • Was - Dvorsky
  • Det - Wood
  • Stl. - Danielson
  • Van - Willander
  • Ari - Benson
  • Buf - Sandin-Pelikka

He says there are 5 or 6 guys you can make a case for the Sabres: Perreault, Barlow, Yager and Moore.

But there are also 2 defencemen worthy of the pick: he loves Simashev, but he thinks Pelikka’s upside and skill on the right side will be too much for the Sabres to ignore.

He says if they don’t go for a D, Moore will be the pick: his compete, speed and role versatility fits the Sabres philosophy to a T.

Says choosing between the 3 was making him feel sick.

I think I’d be happy with any of the three, or even most of the 6.

This was from Sabres Live today. Great listen.

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/hosts/sabres-live

IMO … Man if they pass on Simashev at 13 …. Yikes 

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

What’s the difference between “best fit” and “best Sabre” 

No regard for position in the latter?

Adams uses “he’s a Sabre” all the time when he talks about Savoie: competitive guys who skate fast, play fast and live and breath hockey.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Zamboni said:

Baker said he absolutely loves Simashev, but he also thinks that on talent he probably better slots later in the middle of the first.

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Baker said he absolutely loves Simashev, but he also thinks that on talent he probably better slots later in the middle of the first.

And good thing we are drafting pretty much in the middle of the first. Sign me up for this guy. Just hope they don’t overcompensate on “checking their bias” against positions. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Dark horse for pick 13, 

Baker called him Dylan Cozens 2.0. Instantly elevated him in my head in a way multiple scouting reports did not.

There seems to be a lot of players worth being excited about in this draft. For one day I will be jealous of Arizona at 6 and 12.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Baker called him Dylan Cozens 2.0. Instantly elevated him in my head in a way multiple scouting reports did not.

There seems to be a lot of players worth being excited about in this draft. For one day I will be jealous of Arizona at 6 and 12.

I'd expect Arizona to pick Leonard or Dvorsky at 6 and Willander or ASP at 12.

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I'd expect Arizona to pick Leonard or Dvorsky at 6 and Willander or ASP at 12.

Baker flipped it, had them going D early (Reinbacher) because less of a drop-off to 12 for forwards. (He had Benson there at 12).

Either way, they should get a nice piece at each position.

50 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’ll be slightly disappointed if they take a 5’11 Dman 

i don’t think he will.  When describing what they look for in a Dman at the latest presser adams twice described it and both times led off with the word “big”

Moore definitely fits the Adams profile to a tee. Interesting that Benson is sitting in the wheelhouse too. 

Sabres don’t need to draft a dman at #13.

If the Sabres stay at 13 I would be happy with either Benson or Moore.

I think Philly, Detroit and St. Louis are real wildcards to me as far as what they do with their picks.

What's the lowdown on Etienne Morin? Heard someone refer to him as most talented Dman in the draft. But not heard any buzz at all.

A cursory glance suggests that he is most def an offence first guy, perhaps not what we are looking for.

Edited by steveoath

7 minutes ago, steveoath said:

What's the lowdown on Etienne Morin? Heard someone refer to him as most talented Dman in the draft. But not heard any buzz at all.

It was a comment made by the director of NHL's Central Scouting, who called him his favourite defenceman in the draft.

It got a lot of play because of who he is and the fact Morin is rated as a 2nd round pick by most.

Central Scouting had him ranked as #19 overal and #2 among defencemen in North America.

The consensus top 4 D overall are all Europeans.

Morin is an average-sized puckmover who put up good numbers in the Q.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/599308/etienne-morin

Edited by dudacek
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, steveoath said:

A cursory glance suggests that he is most def an offence first guy, perhaps not what we are looking for.

His defensive game is weak and his motor isn't the highest. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It was a comment made by the director of NHL's Central Scouting, who called him his favourite defenceman in the draft.

It got a lot of play because of who he is and the fact Morin is rated as a 2nd round pick by most.

Central Scouting had him ranked as #19 overal and #2 among defencemen in North America.

The consensus top 4 D overall are all Europeans.

Morin is an average-sized puckmover who put up good numbers in the Q.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/599308/etienne-morin

I heard on multiple podcasts that the director of Central Scouting later clarified that he had Morin as the top North American d-man, not the top overall. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Simashev is far from a consensus top 15. While the Sabres have picked 6 Russians in the past two drafts, they have not used a 1st on a Russian player. It may be that there comes a point in the draft where a Russian is simply the BPA on their board and there is no logic to taking a different player.  But all factors included, they might see #13 as too risky. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.