Senators Goalie Matt Murray says No to a Sabres Trade

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Didn’t Murray have a Top Ten Goals saved above expected in the League after He got called back up from the AHL?

Not that I can infer from the stats over his 20 games (five of which were going 0-5-0 before being sent down).  He sits about 40th in GSAA/60.  If there's other data, I'm open to it.

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I would retain more if I was Buffalo to make this work 

How many first round draft picks should we acquire?

Angry Gary Oldman GIF

• Haha (+1) 6

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Just ticks me off that this is yet another player that riles up the "No one likes Buffalo" crowd. Those people can go burn in hell 

It's not Buffalo.  It's the Sabres franchise.  Look at Terry's 11 full seasons of ownership.  36% winning percentage over the last decade, plus all the management and ownership incompetence along the way.  Ownership did this and now they play the "poor us" crowd, like it's not their fault, and shifting the blame.  Pathetic, but completely unsurprising.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

It's not Buffalo.  It's the Sabres franchise.  Look at Terry's 11 full seasons of ownership.  36% winning percentage over the last decade, plus all the management and ownership incompetence along the way.  Ownership did this and now they play the "poor us" crowd, like it's not their fault, and shifting the blame.  Pathetic, but completely unsurprising.

Tend to agree. Hopefully they're beginning to turn that around but at this moment think you're correct.

5 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Maybe Adams was trying to get Murray and pick 7 in the draft for pick 16. Hard to say but either way glad we didn't get Murray as not sure he's starting caliber. 

image.thumb.png.2b9aa515c1ef3a4ea6ab6046455d4382.png

Edited by Lanny

47 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

He doesn't want to be in buffalo .

Move onto the next 

It would have been a very good trade IF Murray wanted to play in Buffalo. He doesn't, so it is time to move on. No hard feelings. However, there are more options out there. KA is trying to use the cap space wisely I think. We'll see if he finds another option in the top 6 of the draft. My guess is the Sabres want one of the top 2 right shot defenseman who are projected to go before pick 9. 

1 hour ago, Thwomp! said:

Yeah, Terry really jobbed up the Bills. What a crap show.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Let's be honest.  The Sabres are the Detroit Lions of the NHL.  Half these guys do not want to come here.  Who can blame them. We have the literal longest losing season streak in NHL history now.  It is going to take years to turn this around. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yeah, Terry really jobbed up the Bills. What a crap show.

But he has jobbed up the Sabres which this blog is about. And, although I am a Bills fan, they haven't got a Super Bowl ring yet. Let's not forget the end to last season which was, to put it mildly, epic.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Let's be honest.  The Sabres are the Detroit Lions of the NHL.  Half these guys do not want to come here.  Who can blame them. We have the literal longest losing season streak in NHL history now.  It is going to take years to turn this around. 

I don't want Murray, but someone on the Sens refusing a trade to Buffalo is kind of funny.   The Sens haven't made the playoffs in the last 5 years finishing 7th, 8th, 7th, 6th (in the Canadian North Div of 7 teams) and 7th.   This is the same level of bad as the Sabres the last 5 years, except the Sabres seem to be making forward progress finishing 5th in the Atlantic last season, while the Sens still stink despite receiving decent goaltending with Forsberg.

So Murray is no longer the starter in Ottawa and won't come to a better team where he has a chance to earn a starting job.  Makes total sense.  If he is holding out for a better opportunity, he had best look in the mirror because it ain't coming.  After all Ott is having to trade their 7th overall pick to get rid of you Matt.  Get a clue.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Eleven said:

No.  I dont need to help these teams.  And this helps them more than it helps the Sabres.

Picks 7, 9, 25 and 28 >>>Picks 9, 16, 28 and 41

All that trade does is use cap that would otherwise go unused while upgrading 2 of our picks significantly. I think it helps us at least as much, not next year of course, but 3,4,5 years down the line the rewards could be huge.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

That used to be the Bills too.  Funny what winning can do.  
Not to worry, things will change soon for the Sabres 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Eleven said:

No.  I dont need to help these teams.  And this helps them more than it helps the Sabres.

Disagree.

I'd easily still take 16+41->7+25OA for those changes, and our cap space is cheap.

TOR trading a 1st and 3rd for an average G (at an affordable cap hit) is steep, but they're cap constrained and Mrazek is untenably bad.  Mrazek->Murray is a big upgrade, but not a division-breaking one. 

Ottawa ridding Murray but going 7->16 is definitely a net loss for them, which is why the 3rd is there.  They take the biggest hit, but no longer have to pay Murray's salary.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.