Senators Goalie Matt Murray says No to a Sabres Trade

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Guess I can’t give him too much credit for a deal that didn’t go through, but holy ***** Adams, nice work buddy!

That would have been a coup.

So, they were giving up all that just for cap space, or was the other player going to Ottawa something like JJ or Quinn? 

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Guess I can’t give him too much credit for a deal that didn’t go through, but holy ***** Adams, nice work buddy!

That would have been a coup.

It would have meant getting a starting goalie (though an average one) and something like Jiricek at 7 and Savoie at 9.  fukkkkkkkkkkkkk

I don’t think it’s too hard to read the tea leaves here. A team willing/planning to spend as much dead cap as they would have been just to get to the floor isn’t going to then add a bunch on top of that. 

Alas, I can’t see this as anything other than a further placeholder year in the mind of Adams. I don’t think they are interested very much at the present time in upgrades for the current. 

Do I agree with the strategy? No. But I’m going to take a leaf out of John’s book and choose to not waste time arguing with a strategy that’s showing itself clearly to be the chosen pathway. I’ll hope for internal improvement this season to the extent that perhaps, the following season, the organization comes down on firmly on the “go time” square. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Honestly, we could trade for Kuemper's rights and do a pretty rich deal (he's currently at $4.5MAAV) and I wouldn't be mad about it.

He's still a top five to 12-ish goalie in this league.

But why would we trade for a player who's an UFA in 6 days?

46 minutes ago, Taro T said:

If WE all know that the combo of Anderson, Murray, & UPL provides comparable GTing to what they had last year, which even Adams admits wasn't good enough; WTF wouldn't Adams realize this?

There's no way he'd walk into a presser announcing that trade saying he's got the GTing figured out for this year.

No, he likely wouldn't say that. He'd say something positive about Murray "we love the move and how this solidifies the goalie position" "we look forward to an open competition" or such. Then, make comments that they'd still look to be in the market, always looking to improve, etc. But if the musical chairs of free agency leave the Sabres without one of the premier additions...   then he'd say well as least we've got Murray as a proven NHL #1.

2 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

But why would we trade for a player who's an UFA in 6 days?

To answer the question you can trade for him and re-sign him without other teams bidding for him. I highly doubt a Stanley Cup winning goalie will want to come to a team who hasn't made the playoffs in 12 years though.

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Possible but I imagine it would be closer to a July 13th Deal, as Kuemper is now going to UFA

I don’t know if a team like Toronto can really afford Kuemper’s contract tbh. 
Here’s this for a wacky trade idea

To Buffalo: 7 OA, 3 milx2 years retention on Murray, Mrazek, Toronto 3rd 

To Ottawa: 16 OA

To Toronto: Murray 50% retained.

Just now, sabresparaavida said:

I would need more for Mrazek though from Toronto. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

Id want more to take Mrazek or he needs to go to Ottawa

Just now, sabresparaavida said:

It’s essentially the same trade, pretty much the same cap wise, pretty much the same goalie level wise, I just added in a 3rd. I thought any more would be unrealistic.

Murray > Mrazek

Murray at least showed a bit of progress late

Mrazek was a train wreck the entire season

Murray is younger and was at one point good

13 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

To answer the question you can trade for him and re-sign him without other teams bidding for him. I highly doubt a Stanley Cup winning goalie will want to come to a team who hasn't made the playoffs in 12 years though.

Not with that attitude he won't.  We're going to win it all this year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.