2022 UFAs, Who do Sabres have a chance at

North Buffalo

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I would add Danton Heinen to the mix. He is a defensively responsible forward, analytics darling who put up 33 points last year. 

He was not qualified by Pittsburgh for cap reasons. Evolving Hockey predicts a 3 year, 2.6 Million AAV

Sounds a lot like Asplund. With our centers all being young, and with JJP and Quinn looking to make the leap to the NHL, another defensively sound forward that can chip in offensively would help balance our lineup a good deal. 

• Agree 1

Here is Lance’s plan

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-gm-for-the-day-plotting-a-course-for-a-tricky-offseason/article_9fca37ba-ff97-11ec-8140-0f3e18cdc487.html

It includes re-signing VO, Vinnie and Hayden upfront. Possibly bringing back Larson or Lazar as the 4th center. 

On the back end he wants to make a run at Ethan Bear.  If not look at Rutta, Stretcher or Lyubushkin 

In goal look at Reiner/Hill, Brossoit or Comrie. Thinks trading for Reimer is the best option. Wants Domingue with UPL in Rochester.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Here is Lance’s plan

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-gm-for-the-day-plotting-a-course-for-a-tricky-offseason/article_9fca37ba-ff97-11ec-8140-0f3e18cdc487.html

It includes re-signing VO, Vinnie and Hayden upfront. Possibly bringing back Larson or Lazar as the 4th center. 

On the back end he wants to make a run at Ethan Bear.  If not look at Rutta, Stretcher or Lyubushkin 

In goal look at Reiner/Hill, Brossoit or Comrie. Thinks trading for Reimer is the best option. Wants Domingue with UPL in Rochester.

Interesting thoughts, Bear has some frit on back end but wore down playing injured not sure of his health... Goalie list is a meh... Brossoit ok really dont know Comrie's work.

On 7/10/2022 at 1:42 PM, GoPuckYourself said:

Rita would be awesome but I read TB is working hard to re-sign him, not even sure how it’s possible.

Rita is my girlfriend.  Let's see if TB signing Rutta or Palat first.  Look at Spotrac and tell me it's easy for them.

On 7/10/2022 at 2:22 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

They'll probably put Killorn on LTIR for the season with a mysterious knee injury and then bring him back for the playoffs

But the news is TB is also "working hard" in signing Palat too.

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/tampa-bay-lightning/cap/             https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/tampa-bay-lightning/

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not really.  Dahlin and Joki are the top RD

Samuelsson Dahlin

Power Jokiharju

Bryson Rutta

Joki is not a top 4 D on most playoff caliber teams...but in our case he is because we don't have anybody better.   I hope we can eventually do better and have him in the 3rd pairing where he is better suited.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Yikes, you just made me realize how thin the D is at the moment. I hope the Sabres do some serious shopping as opposed to 750k to a couple of JAGs & Mark Pysyk. 

Don't forget Pilut is back in the mix.  I also wonder if a couple of youngish vets looking for a new home like Jacob Larsson and David Farrance might be good depth for Rochester and emergency recalls?

Brian Duff and Marty Biron were discussing UFAs that the Sabres could realistically target this week. 
Marty basically said stay the course, bring back the forward core and make some small additions. 

Duff took the opposite position and asked How they would bring back essentially the same group of forwards that finished 30 points out of a playoff spot, especially when Detroit and Ottawa look like they are ready to leapfrog the Sabres. 

On 7/11/2022 at 11:42 PM, Brawndo said:

Brian Duff and Marty Biron were discussing UFAs that the Sabres could realistically target this week. 
Marty basically said stay the course, bring back the forward core and make some small additions. 

Duff took the opposite position and asked How they would bring back essentially the same group of forwards that finished 30 points out of a playoff spot, especially when Detroit and Ottawa look like they are ready to leapfrog the Sabres. 

I thought the string of goalie injuries is what tanked our season last year?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Agree 1

Was it @tom webster who made the comment earlier about the fans drinking the Kool aid?

This fan base has gone from being ready to give up on the team to this “we don’t want good players because we have to stay on the path.”

The path is about accumulating good players and adding good players now is not going to prevent Peterka and Cozens from becoming good players any more than Teppo Numminen and Mike Grier stopped Brian Campbell and Jason Pominville from becoming good players.

You can add good players without wrecking your cap situation, gutting your prospect pool or blowing up your development plan. Your job is to do exactly that.

I think Kevyn Adams knows this and I think he is willing to do this. But in the meantime, letting people believe otherwise sure has become a handy crutch to keep people from turning up the heat on him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Was it @tom webster who made the comment earlier about the fans drinking the Kool aid?

This fan base has gone from being ready to give up on the team to this “we don’t want good players because we have to stay on the path.”

The path is about accumulating good players and adding good players now is not going to prevent Peterka and Cozens from becoming good players any more than Teppo Numminen and Mike Grier stopped Brian Campbell and Jason Pominville from becoming good players.

You can add good players without wrecking your cap situation, gutting your prospect pool or blowing up your development plan. Your job is to do exactly that.

I think Kevyn Adams knows this and I think he is willing to do this. But in the meantime, letting people believe otherwise sure has become a handy crutch to keep people from turning up the heat on him.

If he doesn't get a decent goaltender the heat will be on high. He has run out of excuses in that area.  The only reason I'm on the Comrie train is that he is one of the few goalies available with any upside.  In theory Samsonov has some as well, but KA already committed to Anderson.  

Kevin Weekes said we are looking at trading for Allen.  I’d rather have Comrie, but Allen isn’t the worst idea.

Also here is some info from KA’s discussion with Hamilton.  Nothing Earth shattering but worth a read.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/sports/nhl/sabres/nhl-insider-paul-hamilton-buffalo-sabres-free-agency-no-big-contracts-hockey-sports/71-1feeac43-efe0-47e2-90f4-da92c0a3735f

I’ll be surprised if they add a notable forward 

I count 14 guys on the roster today who will fill out the line up  

I wouldn’t mind them brining in a vet Dman or 2  

i think the trade route is a better solution to the much needed goalie.  

Guys I think they have a shot at 

Manson
Zadorov
Gudbranson
Subban
Lyubushkin

Edited by Crusader1969
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I’ll be surprised if they add a notable forward 

I count 14 guys on the roster today who will fill out the line up  

I wouldn’t mind them brining in a vet Dman or 2  

i think the trade route is a better solution to the much needed goalie.  

Guys I think they have a shot at 

Manson
Zadorov
Gudbranson
Subban
Lyubushkin

And I can only hope KA stays far away from Zadorov. 

My predictions, (not rumors just my thoughts)

PK Subban- 2 years $8million- (4.5,3.5) 10 team NMC

Acquire JVR, Zack MacEwen, and Florida 2024 1st for Anders Bjork and Philly 2023 2nd.  This sheds salary for Philly to sign UFA Johnny Gaudreau.

Trade Florida 1st and R2 to Florida for Mac Weager.  Extend Weager for 5 years at $4.75-$5 million AAV.  Good defenseman to pair with Power.

Trade Olofsson to San Jose for Reimer, Bonino, and SJ 2023 2nd.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3443072

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.