2022 UFAs, Who do Sabres have a chance at

North Buffalo

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/ufa/

Besides Hinestrosa who I hope Sabres resign... Paquette sounds plausible... would really like Kadri or Forsberg, but have my doubts they would jump ship... Kadri if he wanted to be close to home...

Accari maybe for a winger or Copp... both have had down years but have decent history and are bigger bodies... just not sure the fit... plus need to have room for Quinn and Peterka...

On D there are a lot better names out there... Charot... Zadorov maybe? 

Who do you guys like and think are possible?

Money talks and the Sabres have plenty for the next two years. 

I don't want to stunt the growth of the future, but in my mind there are still a couple of young players that could use more development; Krebs, Peterka, and UPL.

Get some vets in on one or two year contracts and lets get in the playoffs!

47 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Who ever the best UFA goalie is, that can be signed for only 2 years. Is it MAF? 

This struck me as impossible even a few months ago; there’s no way the cheap, rebuilding Sabres would be interested, and if they were, why the hell would Fleury want to come.

A few factors have changed my mind, especially after watching the pressers yesterday.

Fleury is easily the best available candidate for what we believe Adams is looking for under the cap: a guy who can step in for a year or two and supply some stability and mentorship without blocking Lukkonnen or the prospects coming behind him. He can do everything Anderson did, but better. It would be foolish not to kick those tires.

Anderson’s presser could be used as a recruiting tape for Fleury who was treated like dogshit in Vegas. Come here and hang out with a bunch of great guys who love hockey working for people who treat you the way you want to be treated.

In addition to Anderson’s sell, Fleury can pick the brains of a large group who remembers the way it used to be in Vegas and speak first-hand to the way it is in Buffalo: Eakin, Miller, Subban and Tuch. The latter spoke yesterday of Fleury being a mentor.

Which brings us back to Kevyn Adams the high priest of culture and rebuilding connections with the fans. Fleury embodies everything that Adams wants his organization to be. And his right hand, Jason Karmanos, must have a relationship with Fleury over their long stints in PIttsburgh. Maybe it’s a good one.

Finally, there’s the man at the top of the Buffalo food chain, who I suspect has a lot of love for a PIttsburgh Penguin star and lots of money available to send his way. Not sure if there’s any truth to the rumour the Pegula family cat was named Flower.

So I see the potential of a highly motivated owner and GM offering Fleury more money than anyone else to play hockey on an emerging team in a great hockey environment, accompanied by the testimony of a number of people he can trust.

I think there may actually be a possibility there.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This struck me as impossible even a few months ago; there’s no way the cheap, rebuilding Sabres would be interested, and if they were, why the hell would Fleury want to come.

A few factors have changed my mind, especially after watching the pressers yesterday.

Fleury is easily the best available candidate for what we believe Adams is looking for under the cap: a guy who can step in for a year or two and supply some stability and mentorship without blocking Lukkonnen or the prospects coming behind him. He can do everything Anderson did, but better. It would be foolish not to kick those tires.

Anderson’s presser could be used as a recruiting tape for Fleury who was treated like dogshit in Vegas. Come here and hang out with a bunch of great guys who love hockey working for people who treat you the way you want to be treated.

In addition to Anderson’s sell, Fleury can pick the brains of a large group who remembers the way it used to be in Vegas and speak first-hand to the way it is in Buffalo: Eakin, Miller, Subban and Tuch. The latter spoke yesterday of Fleury being a mentor.

Which brings us back to Kevyn Adams the high priest of culture and rebuilding connections with the fans. Fleury embodies everything that Adams wants his organization to be. And his right hand, Jason Karmanos, must have a relationship with Fleury over their long stints in PIttsburgh. Maybe it’s a good one.

Finally, there’s the man at the top of the Buffalo food chain, who I suspect has a lot of love for a PIttsburgh Penguin star and lots of money available to send his way. Not sure if there’s any truth to the rumour the Pegula family cat was named Flower.

So I see the potential of a highly motivated owner and GM offering Fleury more money than anyone else to play hockey on an emerging team in a great hockey environment, accompanied by the testimony of a number of people he can trust.

From the player's standpoint I just don't see him having an interest in coming here. If he is going to continue on with his long career, it is more likely that he would want to go to a team that is a serious cup contender. I'm not arguing that I wouldn't like to have him on this team because he is the type of player/person who you would want in the locker room and in net for you. Everyone who has had any association with him raves about him not only as a player but also a person. In Tuch's end of season interview he cited Fleury for being a wonderful mentor for him in Vegas. I just think that the Sabres are maybe one year away from being the caliber of team he would want to join. 

2 of the following:

Zadorov

Gudbranson 

Manson

Murphy or Subban 

whomever they think will be the best fit on ice and off

2 depth forwards - Vinny and ???  No one to block the paths of JJ and Quinn 

Jack Campbell would be interesting but he’s probably looking for term  plus it would weaken the leafs   

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

From the player's standpoint I just don't see him having an interest in coming here. If he is going to continue on with his long career, it is more likely that he would want to go to a team that is a serious cup contender. I'm not arguing that I wouldn't like to have him on this team because he is the type of player/person who you would want in the locker room and in net for you. Everyone who has had any association with him raves about him not only as a player but also a person. In Tuch's end of season interview he cited Fleury for being a wonderful mentor for him in Vegas. I just think that the Sabres are maybe one year away from being the caliber of team he would want to join. 

I wonder what contender will be looking to add Fleury and what kind of money or environment they might they offer.

I mean it’s impossible for us to know what factors a player is weighing and what his priorities are.

2 years $15 million to play in Buffalo or 1 year $2 million to play in Toronto or Edmonton?

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I wonder what contender will be looking to add Fleury and what kind of money or environment they might they offer.

I mean it’s impossible for us to know what factors a player is weighing and what his priorities are.

2 years $15 million to play in Buffalo or 1 year $2 million to play in Toronto or Edmonton?

From what I have read about his mind-set at this stage of his career I don't think he would make a two year commitment with any team because of family considerations. He's at the stage of his illustrious career where he is in position to consider presented offers without having to pursue offers. It's really hard to say what he will decide. I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to hang the skates up. He's in a similar situation that Anderson is in with mulling over whether to go one more year or settle down due to family reasons. 

I look at your Buffalo proposal for Fleury and it makes me even more entrenched in my opinion that KA made a mistake in not signing Ullmark.  

48 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Very interesting post.

One other selling point they might be able to use is to bring up his own past history.  HE agreed to waive his NMC to be exposed to the expansion draft.  HE was the MVP for a team of players whose former teams didn't see valuable enough to protect, heck, some were moved to protect OTHER guys, & ABSOLUTELY NOBODY expected them to do anything but be bottom feeders; but rather than feed at the bottom they made the SCF.

He's been willing to take a chance on being part of something special that very few others saw as being special.  Maybe he'd be willing to do so once again.  The possibility of mentoring the guy that might defy long odds to be the next great French Canadian goalie couldn't hurt any either.

Before reading your post, would've said there was a 0% chance of it happening.  But, thinking about it a bit more, maybe it's 10-20%?  Still long odds, but not impossible. 

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Another factor that cannot be overlooked is that Fleury had His Best Seasons under Mike Bales and has a good relationship with Him. 

And Tuch mentioning how MAF was a mentor to Him in Vegas did not go unnoticed as well

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Let's put it this way; if Anderson decides to hang them up I'd offer him a job at Harbor Center if he'd like to stick around. He may want to move back to Chicago, where he runs a goalie camp, or Florida where he supposedly has a house however.

I could genuinely see Fleury liking Buffalo as a comfortable end to his career location. He has plenty of connections here and is within easy distance to Quebec and Pittsburgh. Plus Buffalo does have an appeal to family men. 

35 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Doubt it , him and grigorenko were pretty vocal about how much sabres hated Russian players when they left.

Moreover, I have read fans on other boards say the same things about Zadorov that we said about Ristolainen, only less intensely.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

This drips of hopium... which is a great thing.

To counter this I would have to say that Marc wants to play for one of the 4 Cup finalist this year and money will be secondary. He wants one more Cup and who ever has the best hope of winning it will get his attention.

Goalies

Anderson as back up goalie if he wants to keep going.   Otherwise Greiss or Korpisalo.
MAF or Campbell as starter.   Casey Desmith ?

Defense

Letang/Klingberg if we go big   Stralman/Manson/Subban as lesser options.

Offense

Copp - Paquette - Palat - Rakell  for our Middle six.  

Fleury's not coming here. Just forget about that. I suspect he stays in Minnesota, but if they can't make the money work he goes to a cup contender only. 

Subban is one I hadn't really considered but I wonder if he'd take a pay cut to (sort of) play with his brother (and by sort of I mean Malcolm would be in Rochester instead of Dell). He's not worth the money he makes now but he could fit with how we want to play for a few years. Not sure. 

the guy I really want is Copp, but I suspect he will have many suitors so the price might get too high. Acciari would certainly be welcome. 

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Goalies

Anderson as back up goalie if he wants to keep going.   Otherwise Greiss or Korpisalo.
MAF or Campbell as starter.   Casey Desmith ?

Defense

Letang/Klingberg if we go big   Stralman/Manson/Subban as lesser options.

Offense

Copp - Paquette - Palat - Rakell  for our Middle six.  

Greiss and Korpisalo were awful this year.

DeSmith was mediocre at best.

MAF or Husso would work well while I'd avoid Campbell like the plague. He's going to be looking to cash in on his bipolar performances.

Letang on a 2 year deal, sure. Klingberg will want term and he doesn't exactly give us anything we don't already have. (Letang has 3 Cup Rings and experience in his corner)

Stralman as a 3RHD would be ok but I'd be hesitant to touch anyone from Arizona. Manson wants to much for far too little recent success; loved him 3 years ago but he has spiraled into oblivion since then. Subban is a major no, guy is a 1 trick pony and has never figured out the whole defense thing. At this point he's a pure offensive dman.

As for your offensive guys I'm more onboard for maybe 1 of Copp or Palat. Copp is young and could be a handy long term piece while Palat has multiple Cup Rings and would be a solid vet. 

Paquette is just a 4th liner, a solid one but no more than that. (Did you confuse him with Coleman?) And Rakell isn't bad but I'm guessing he'll be Cup chasing now. 

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Fleury's not coming here. Just forget about that. I suspect he stays in Minnesota, but if they can't make the money work he goes to a cup contender only. 

I honestly disagree partially, he has 3 Cup Rings and 5 Finals appearances, he isn't exactly in any need to Cup Chase. If anything my guess is he wants to put down some roots and finish out his career while having a post-playing career lined up.  I do think Minnesota would be a possible avenue for him but I wouldn't exactly count out Buffalo. As was said earlier, Craig Anderson spoke glowingly about his treatment here and I could see him seeing that as a nice way to wind down his career. Hell if he wants to get into TV, Marty Biron could certainly give his fellow French-Canadian some pointers and give the many benefits of living in Buffalo.  

8 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Who ever the best UFA goalie is, that can be signed for only 2 years. No more. That guy.
Even for a semi stupid amount. Is it MAF? 
Secure the goalie first. Then fill in where needed after that.

2 x $10 million for MAF.  From what I'm hearing he's a younger, better Craig Anderson (not just a solid goalie but a solid team guy).

13 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

2 x $10 million for MAF.  From what I'm hearing he's a younger, better Craig Anderson (not just a solid goalie but a solid team guy).

If that’s what’s going to get it done… Do it for two years. If he’ll sign for a little cheaper… Bonus. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.