2022 UFAs, Who do Sabres have a chance at

North Buffalo

10 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I have a feeling someone is going to give Campbell $6x5 years and by January will be like “Um how do we move him”

You can't blame him for wanting some years.

just looked at his contract history, he's never had a deal more than 3 years, and that was his entry level contract.

Now is it possible to sign a player in the NHL with incentives. If we go for a FA G, but don't want to over commit can we add clauses that add $1 million if sed G has a .500 or better record, and another $1 million if we make the playoffs, and maybe further incentives that gets a Goalie paid but doesn't over commit our hand?

Just thinking outside the box and be creative to attract a FA G

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

I have a feeling someone is going to give Campbell $6x5 years and by January will be like “Um how do we move him”

But from Campbells point of view this is the time you don't take anything less.

It is a possibility that he does have another good year this coming year like he did last year.  If that happens (and it very well could), then if he took anything less than 4 years and 25 million he'd be mad at himself for the rest of his career.

26 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I am intrigued by this, but not sure how much.

UFA who is going to want a raise...not sure of term. I think his last deal he made $4.9M per year.

Has never been given a lot of ice time, for his whole career he has gotten 3rd line minutes (15 minutes per game, give or take)

Option on the PP, zero use killing penalties, plus a lot of offensive zone starts. So far in his career no one has really trusted him at all in any kind of defensive role.

27 years old.

Over the last 3 seasons, his '82 game' rate has been  26 goals, 64 points per 82. With Buffalo that could go up with more ice time, or down with a 'lesser' team.  Over the last 2 years his goals per 60 minutes would be tops on the Sabres.  Above even Skinner, Tage, Eichel, Reinhart over that time.  Plus most of his goals are even strength, hes dangerous 5 on 5.

Don't really know much more about him.

Edited by mjd1001

15 hours ago, kas23 said:

From a salary cap issue, it certainly wouldn’t handcuff them in coming years. That said, that “cap space” (unlike the NFL) is real money and would need to leave Terry’s checking account. He’s the one making the financial decisions, not KA. 

Cap space over the life of a deal is real money as the 2 equalize over the life of the contract (minus proration due to the players' total slice of the pie set at 50% of HRR (minus any recapture the owners get for paying players over 50% of total HRR during the lockdowns)), but if a contract was front loaded or has a significant signing bonus as a component of the contract, then a lot of cap hit can be obtained in a trade for only a small fraction of that nominal value in actual money.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ddaryl said:

You can't blame him for wanting some years.

just looked at his contract history, he's never had a deal more than 3 years, and that was his entry level contract.

Now is it possible to sign a player in the NHL with incentives. If we go for a FA G, but don't want to over commit can we add clauses that add $1 million if sed G has a .500 or better record, and another $1 million if we make the playoffs, and maybe further incentives that gets a Goalie paid but doesn't over commit our hand?

Just thinking outside the box and be creative to attract a FA G

Except for a very limited # of players in very specific circumstances related to experience, age, or prior health, no, contracts cannot include performance bonuses.  And those few bonuses that are allowed can't be structured as you suggest.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Money for FA's is going to dry up quickly. Leaving a lot of good players fighting for the scraps left over.

I think patience will be key here, plus anything we can pick up along side of helping teams with their salary cap issues

So your plan is to pick up the scraps and the players nobody wants. I'm sure that will work splendidly. 

42 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

If we want a big cap hit and young guy to fit in with the rest of our guys I say give a prospect (or two) and a few picks for Alex DeBrincat. 

DeBrincat and Kane in the same deal with extensions already worked out and then signed. I'd give them 2 of the 3 firsts for that. 

Then sign Husso, Manson and DesLauriers in free agency and we're in the playoffs ahead of Boston (and possibly others). 

Dream baby dream. 🙂

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

So your plan is to pick up the scraps and the players nobody wants. I'm sure that will work splendidly. 

NO

The plan would be to let the top FA's get overpaid drying up the well of teams who will overpay, and to find players who are a good match in FA without having to over spend to get them to come here

What doesn't work "splendidly" is trying to shoe horn in top FA's for a team that is more than 1 or 2 top FA's from winning a cup

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

Cap space over the life of a deal is real money as the 2 equalize over the life of the contract (minus proration due to the players' total slice of the pie set at 50% of HRR (minus any recapture the owners get for paying players over 50% of total HRR during the lockdowns)), but if a contract was front loaded or has a significant signing bonus as a component of the contract, then a lot of cap hit can be obtained in a trade for only a small fraction of that nominal value in actual money.

This is true. I was responding to the ability to sign MAF for 2 years at $10M per. Cap space isn’t the most important consideration we should we thinking about here. 

11 hours ago, ddaryl said:

NO

The plan would be to let the top FA's get overpaid drying up the well of teams who will overpay, and to find players who are a good match in FA without having to over spend to get them to come here

What doesn't work "splendidly" is trying to shoe horn in top FA's for a team that is more than 1 or 2 top FA's from winning a cup

Nobody's talking about winning a cup, but a small number of good free agents to turn you into a playoff contender sure. 

A decent goalie, a solid reliable RHD, a good 2 way center and possibly a grit guy to round out the 4th line and with a little luck and a few kids developing I think we'd have a legit playoff shot. Without those pieces we will wait and talk about the big draft a lot. I know which option I prefer. 

Chad DeDomincis just put out an article that mentioned this “I did have a source that passed me accurate information before telling me to “not sleep on the Sabres and Copp.” I’m not going to get my hopes up or predict that it’s going to happen. At the very least it’s something we can keep our eye on over the next week.”

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Chad DeDomincis just put out an article that mentioned this “I did have a source that passed me accurate information before telling me to “not sleep on the Sabres and Copp.” I’m not going to get my hopes up or predict that it’s going to happen. At the very least it’s something we can keep our eye on over the next week.”

There really isn’t another (non goalie) free agent that id be happier to add. He can play anywhere in the middle 6 and bring physicality, while also helping to balance out a young lineup. The thought of having 3 of the kids on 1 line kinda scares me, having another skilled, tough forward would be great. 
I also think a line of 

Copp-Cozens-Tuch would be really good and hard to play against.

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Is KA playing chicken with the UFA and trade markets to see who the 20 cap strapped teams need to dump to fit signings of guys like Kadri or Johnny Hockey under their caps?

You may be right. I’m not clear if Mat Murray was the cap weaponizing move he was talking about or not.

Have we seen other cap-clearing moves beyond McDonough and Mrazek?

Because you know they’re coming

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

You may be right. I’m not clear if Mat Murray was the cap weaponizing move he was talking about or not.

Have we seen other cap-clearing moves beyond McDonough and Mrazek?

Because you know they’re coming

Debrincat (saves Chicago 6.6 mill on the way toward their tank)? Luke Kunin (saves Nash about 2.3 mill)? Carolina trading D'Angelo to the Flyers is certainly a cap saving move. Tony is coming off a 51 pt season and is an RFA.  Carolina paid him only 1 mill last season and couldn't afford to re-sign him.  

On 7/7/2022 at 5:30 AM, Brawndo said:

He's been my dream signing since we first started talking about free agency but I'm not going to give any of these rumours credence as we were linked to Husso. Agents could just be "linking" us to get the bidding up. 

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm not so high on Husso as some, but any goalie we have a chance at will be a gamble anyway.

Totally agree with the bolded. The second coming of Hasek in his prime is not suddenly showing up on the Sabres doorstep.

Given what we know about KA and his approach to team building, a top priority is that the player wants to be Sabre. That limits the pool of available talent. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.